Heavy/Scratch: G1 Jazz diorama... (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jon5000, Jul 31, 2009.

1. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

This is something I've been prepping/building for a little while now.

Alongside my previous work (some warmly received movie concepts :) ), I've been developing ideas for some realistically detailed G1 dioramas. These won't be transformable, but should look damn good on a shelf. Kind of a, 'what would G1 be like in the real world' look. If that makes sense. I was particularly inspired by a Devastator I saw in the gallery section on here - I forget who it was made by, sorry! - but it was super awesome.

It all started with a scale model of a Porsche 935 I got. I'm a motor-sport fan, and anything from the 80s (the best era, in my opinion) is absolutely awesome in my book (so naturally, various G1 Autbots I hold in particularly awesome esteem). I got the bug again recently at the Goodwood Festival of Speed (huge motor-sport festival in the South UK), listening to these beautiful antique racing cars splutter away, with their iconic livery still standing out strong against the hum drum of the paddocks. So I thought, I love detailed models of my favourite cars, and I also love Transformers - so why don't I bash both interests together?!? Genius, eh!

So here I am announcing my first of these - Jazz. Coincidentally, a Porsche 935!

As I say, he will be a diorama - so I'll most definately be mounting him on some sort of wooden base with a little bit of diorama-scenery to make him look super awesome.

Attached Files:

2. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Sweeeeet....always appreciate a 935 Jazz kitbash! Looking forward to see the result of this!!! Though I get the feeling I misunderstood. It'll just be alt mode, right? Either way, it's a sweet sweet car!

3. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

No, no, it's going to be his robot mode. I might have him hunched over a starting grid or something... I'm just planning on doing it in such a way (using engine parts etc.) that it pretty much won't transform back to alt mode. In fact I'll rule that out now. But he'll definitely retain all the detail that you'd expect from a model of a 935.

Only stumbling block I've got so far is the head... Hmmm, I have a friend who actually works in motor-sport making parts etc., so I could ask him to draw it up on CAD and make it up... Expensive, but worth it! That way it would be all the more G1 accurate.

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    If this will be in scale with the Alternators, I'd say just use the Jazz/Meister head and call it a day. Very cool project--can't wait to see more.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I believe you were referring to Sculpt-bot :) 

6. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Oh freaking sweet, what a great idea. I'm envisioning your scene and am loving it already!! Great character, great car.

LOL yeah, I have a friend working with CAD carved parts as well, sure is costly, but I CANNOT wait to see how this will turn out! Going to be soooooo worth it...

Keep it up! Gon be lookin at progression pics for sure! lol

7. newguy

newguy i

nice

8. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Hey people, need a bit of input...

I'm currently destroying a Porsche 935, as the photos show. Its tricky work to get right. Looks horrible at the moment, but it'll look great with some car body spray to give that realistic edge :) 

ANYWAY, what I'm looking at now is the bonnet of the car - which, as you know, will form his upper torso/shoulders. Do I cut the bonnet in such a way for the shoulders to fold in - as his original g1 toy did - or do I keep it flush and pretty, with his shoulders protruding out of the wheel arches?

Thoughts?

Here's his G1 toy as a reminder...

[​IMG]

9. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    I'd say cut some grooves for the arms to come out of, other wise he might look too wide. You could cut away everything but the center of the hood and do some detailed robotics in the shoulder area... but it's up to you. Oh are you gonna have the doors open up like wings or hide them?

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I'd cut them so they resemble an alternator's front-end.

11. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Alternators...:confused2 

*types into google*

So do you mean like smaller incisions? There's an Imprezza I found online and its basically turned upright on the wheel-arches, kind of keeping most of the bonnet intact. That what you mean? Or is an alternators front end something else?

Excuse the lack of knowledge! I'm kinda new to this fandom thing! For me there's this massive gap between Beast Wars and the Movies.

Ahem.:dunce 

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    look at the bonnet in robot mode. just above the wheel wells. that's the part I'm referring to.

13. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Yep I know what you mean.

Looks an easier bit of surgery, if I'm honest. And get to keep most of that lovely Porsche design intact.

Thanks for the input!

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Transformers Alternators - Transformers - Transformers Resources

:wink: 

15. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Quick update for anybody following...

Been working on the torso mostly, as well as shaping/painting up the car body panels.

As you can see, the torso is a bit of a departure from the G1 original. However, I'm kind of approaching this in a movie-realistic world, but with G1 design, if that makes sense. So the torso is composed of engine/structural parts - yes, that is an engine block in there (although, it is a Porsche - hmmm, perhaps it moves into the torso during transformation?)

The shoulders I'm probably going to keep intact - just to preserve that beautiful Porsche design. I may change my mind, if I can compromise.

Anyways, just a few pics to let you know how it is coming along.

Attached Files:

16. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    its all right

17. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    I love your vision Jon. Keep up the awesome work.

Will you be including other cars in the dio? the idea for him transforming on a race track sounds awesome!

18. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

might actually look like a Don Fig style diorama. :) 

19. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Not in this diorama. However, if this is successful as a display piece I will definitely be doing more with a view to sticking them on Ebay, if people are interested. I mean, this is the kind of thing I'd love to buy myself, so I figure other people would too surely! I have my eye on a lovely Lancia Stratos Turbo for the next one... so, we'll see!

Also, I had the idea of maybe doing one in a mid-transformation pose. I won't be doing that with this guy, but perhaps with another, again I'll see depending on how this guy turns out.

It probably won't be as chunky as his work, to be honest. The kind of artistic approach I've gone for is akin to the movie - where you see car parts making up pretty much everything - but done in the G1 style, so the car 'bits' don't sort of fan out and separate etc., they'll stay as solid car parts. I really think people will like it.

He's sort of coming together now, so you'll be able to see some decent pics to get an idea of his proportions etc fairly soon.

20. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

well he is getting into the movie/classic aesthetic lately. just have a gander at the latest All Hail Megatron. not really a fan but it's slowly growing on me. :)