G1-ish Custom Weapons!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Predaking000, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

I've been binging on Shapeways TF weapons lately. Anyway, thought I'd give Treadshot A1's null rays and his new Blaster rifle some notice. Amazing stuff, and they really complete the look of these figures. Seriously. One thing I always hated about CHUG was how Hastak half-assed it with the guns.

Skywarp's null rays (indigo) are actually a light purple in person; they're not a perfect match, but they match better than what appears in the pic.

The Blaster rifle was something I asked Treadshot to design. The peg is a bit tight (my fault, as I asked him to make it just a bit larger than 5mm), but a minute or two of sanding solved the issue completely.

The null rays are a tad loose, but I think some floor polish should help with the problem (the black ones are much looser on Skywarp than on Thundercracker, for some reason). Also, I do wish there was a blue option for Thundercracker, but as is, I think Treadshot's done some excellent work. I've got no complaints. Thanks, man.

Attached Files:

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Thanks for the free advertising bro! :) 

I'm really glad the DL Blast Gun worked out for ya. I was scared since i don't actually have the figure, but it seems he holds it fine. Does the scope work? It's designed so that you can see right through it, however Shapeways' support material might get stuck in the scope. If you can't see through it, try poking it through with a toothpick or something else thin; it's likely some support material caught in the scope.

I have to say, though, Skywarp almost looks like he's holding TC's rays! :lol  As for why they're loose, i have noticed the dyed prints are more likely to expand or shrink (pretty random which way they go) than White. I guess yours must have shrunk.The Rays were designed with 5mm pegs (unlike the gun using 5.2mm), for the record.

If you ever need anything else, i'm now open to commissions! ;) 

EDIT: Question, should this be in Radicons? Just curious...

EDIT 2: Hang on, they're looser on one seeker than teh other? Easy fix. The hole on your seeker is made by two pieces screwed together (the screw's on the back of the shoulder). Tighten that screw, and the hole tightens. :) 

3. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's shapeway? It looks kind of like foam sealant and play dough. Looks pretty cool, though.

4. blur3479

blur3479 The most boring member

News Credits:
    It looks like you put the wrong null rays on skywarp and thundercracker

5. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

Shapeways is awesome... and so are these weapons.

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

3D Printing company. Its not play dough its plastic. Like you would find on a transformer. They take 3D models like the ones I designed of the Null Rays and DL Blast Gun, and print real plastic versions of them. You can buy them yourself, just click the big picture in my sig.

7. sh002

sh002 Banned

thundercracker and skywarp should trade null rays. what is the cost for stuff like this. custom transformer heads would be cool. wow if one were to make custom parts for other lines like marvel universe, star wars, etc, the possibilities would be endless.

8. Predaking000

Re: the null rays--as I mentioned in my first post, the ones on Skywarp are actually a light purple when you see them in person (there's no hint of blue whatsoever), so it wouldn't match Thundercracker at all. Not sure why the camera/flash changed the color so much.

The material I selected was strong/flexible, which has a grainy finish. I'm thinking of reordering in detail instead of strong/flexible, which would be a lot smoother. However, any special colors other than black/white are only in the strong/flexible format for now.

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    ... am I the only one that doesn't like the stuff from shapeways? It looks ugly. Grainy. Even the smooth stuff looks... off. It's not for me....yet.

10. Grimkid

Grimkid Well-Known Member

WOW THEY look good nice work

11. Predaking000

Just wanted to give props to Megatron31, who crafted this custom Henkei Hound gun for me. The first couple he sent me had some issues, but he not only sent a replacement each time, he also paid for postage and worked on it until it was right, so this is all much appreciated.

Anyway, it looks great and is a perfect fit.

Attached Files:

12. Unicron129

Unicron129 Well-Known Member

Ok, now THAT is a good looking shapeway gun. Is that the "detail" material?

13. Predaking000

It ain't Shapeways. It's custom-made (and hand-painted) by TFW2005 member Megatron31. W/r/t Shapeways, I've been told by a friend with much more experience dealing with Shapeways that the detail material does look much better than the strong/flexible (it's not grainy).

14. Unicron129

Unicron129 Well-Known Member

Ah, too good to be true. Sounds promising for the shapeways though. My biggest qualm with shapeways is the grainy-ness.

15. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I am glad you are happy with it I'm just sorry it took me so long to get yours perfected But it looks absolutely perfect in houndz hands

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Can anyone post pictures of weapons from shapeways in the detail material? I have bookmarked some weapons but the grainyness minds me too...

17. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there are a couple custom weapons i wouldn't mind having for my Deluxe and Voyagers:

i don't need the flip-up sight on this:
    [​IMG]

and a good shotgun...with the barrels made over-sized for effect:
    [​IMG]

i don't really care about details (trigger guards, sights, or all the little things) but the general shape and a peg to put either in a hand or or a spot on the robot.

i have read about shapeway but i am not that great at CAD or even drawing.