G1 Ironhide's Stripes...EXPLAINED!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pintopower, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Pintopower

Pintopower Active Member

Ebay:
    I have always wondered why Ironhide's stripes were the way they were. I mean, they just looked odd to me. Bellow I attached a picture in case you guys my age forgot and you newbies have no idea. Anyway, I was on Flickr today at lunch and saw a picture that made my jaw drop. The Stripe on my beloved toy was a special edition of the Nissan Cherry Vanette. Look VERY close at the stripe on both of them. You will notice that it is boxed in with scalloping of the center two stripes and leading into the sliding door rail which Takara/Hasbro made black. Sadly the silver Van is in dire shape (notice the complete lack of sill behind the drivers door) but I will try to locate more of this edition. I am trying to find a brochure also. I hope you guys enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

It's cool that you found that.

What I've always found funny, though, is the fact that Ironhide, one of the celebrated hardcases of G1, is based on such a crap van.

3. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

That's aweseome, Pintopower. I always figured the stripes were just some decoration the toymakers took it upon themselves to add. Seems like the more you learn about each individual G1 vehicle the more impressive it is how true to life they were to the vehicles of their day.

4. mirage4lifeyo

Autobot X, you are correct in that original Ironhide vanette being less than inspiring. Although the new live action movies probably went the right direction by abandoning the whole red van thing and doing something else with Ironhide entirely, I did always think that if you wanted to do more of an homage to G1, the Dodge Sprinter (rights handed back over to Mercedes after 2008 or so) woulda been pretty good for Ironhide. Reason being, if you've ever seen one of these Dodge Sprinter vans out on the road, they are absolutely HUGE and powerful, the way Ironhide should be based on his personality (look how small the wheels are relative to the size of the vehicle in the picture link below and you get a sense how massive that thing is by van standards). And they come in a bright red with at least some semblance of a stripe down the side, in this case a black stripe that's a bit cooler and tougher looking than the one Pintopower points out above. Link: http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2008-dodge-sprinter_100032884_m.jpg

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    actually all the Diaclone autobots and based on real cars so this does not really surprise me. Blue Streak is another case like this you could say he's just a regular S130 Fairlady Z but the back hood indicates that he's a special edition (the name escapes me right now) Smoke Screen is so close to being the BRE S130 Z that I'm shocked they didn't sue same for Jazz and mirage both spot on bar the removel of the sponsor logos.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Guy Ligier did actually consider legal action against Hasbro after seeing the cartoon on TV.

7. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You mean this guy here?

[​IMG]

8. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    yes lets have a thread of g1 real life counterparrts

9. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    eeennnh. no way dude. its actually a mercedes, with a dodge badge on it. (oops you said that) And in a former life I was a high end tradesman. I have drove those, and they are TURDS for performance. I really think the Top Kick is a nice alt mode for Ironhide.

I mean...I really dont want the black baddass weapons expert to be a 70's party van with a wizard motif painted on the sides...he should be something TOUGH, and the top kick...is about as tough as you could get when TFM came out.

I would like to have seen a nemesis for Ironhide in the movie that transformed into one of those new ford Raptor trucks...now those...those are just SICK in every catagory

I DO find the OP's find with the stripes pretty cool. I had ratchet as a kid, and one of the neighbors at a friends house had the exact same van as ratchet....at the time, that was pretty cool.

Is that a pic of a 280z datsun? Damn...my dad bought one of those BRAND NEW...musta been 81'-82' (from memory) and that car was so baddass...but then the "buy american" craze hit REAL hard, and that thing was GONE for a mustang and a 86 (?) T-bird Turbo coupe. That T-bird had every option..so much as the frikkin car TALKED. It had the "electronic voice alert" option...it would say "the door is ajar" ..or "fuel warning" Very...VERY baddass car for the time. I remember my dad showing everyone in the world that thing talking...everyone that seen it thought it was amazing..especially when the Knight rider craze was HOT, and the voice sounded alot like KITT

10. blur3479

blur3479 The most boring member

News Credits:
    O that's a Pedophile van right there

11. mirage4lifeyo

12. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    I know, right

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I always thought it had to do with the fact that he was a somewhat retired soldier from Cybertron trying to blend in & mellow out on Earth after the fact, rather than actually trying to pass off that shitty van as the next best war machine.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've always found it odd that people keep insisting that Ironhide be stuck with a van alt mode. I think that either a SUV or a truck (*cough*movies*cough*) suits him much more now. Back in 1984? Sure, it worked, but it's dated now.

The same goes for Ratchet. It worked back then, but not so much now. A EMS SUV or an actual *gasp* ambulance works MUCH better.

That's a totally cool photo of the van, though :) 

15. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    I think that ironhide IS ironhide whatever car he is, G1 Ironhide is one of the original diaclone carrobo, and when hasbro brought them to TFs Ironhide character fitted the van, he is supposed to be an old guy tested warrior, and the model they had by that time was the cherry vanette, (I mean there is also ratchet but he was the medic and there was the ambulance so medic=ambulance). That is why sideswipe and sunstreaker are sport cars, they are bad-ass, cool guys, not Ironhide.

Of course there will be new versions and every version will depict ironhide as the character of that series, but that is another story, G1 ironhide for me is perfect just look at His Diaclone predecessor and his TF character he is ALL HISTORY and even though his car more and toy disappointing millions I just love that toy

16. Pintopower

Pintopower Active Member

Ebay:
    I see this post had quite a few good points about both his original Vehicle mode (which I for one love) and his new modes (which, since I only care about G1, are moot to me). I will need to see if I can dig up alt modes VS real versions...

17. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Its more that Skyspy just picked random stuff to scan and handed them out randomly. The next crazy fandom question will be, why did all three seekers get the same altmode, why not Skyspy give Soundwave a jet mode by accident or something?

18. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I don't think it was random by any means. Without getting all in-fiction-nerdy, I'm sure the writers intended the reformat-software to be folllowing some kind of "closest fit" protocol between the TF's original form and the available local "life forms."

It'd be a pretty bad emergency repair protocol if it DIDN'T have some kind of matching system.

I SO love the 1:1 Diaclone:Real Car match ups! Takara was soo good at that back in the 80s. The modern stuff does a pretty good job, but it's not the same somehow. Even among the officially liscenced stuff.

D/L

19. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I always find it funny that because Ironhide is tough, his alt mode should reflect that. I SAY NO TO THAT! It's a disguise, and not one chosen by him at that. I like that the alt mode disguises not just that it is a robot, but who that robot is.

20. wyze2099

wyze2099 Well-Known Member

The Dodge Sprinter seems to be the model chosen for Ironhide and Ratchet's alt modes in the IDW continuity starting with Infiltration #1.

Speaking of Ironhide, Ratchet, and alt modes: one thing that amuses me about the movie series is that one of the Autobots had a Hummer alt mode, but it wasn't Ironhide. Instead, it was Ratchet. I remember thinking, "how did they miss THAT opportunity?"