Minor/Repaint: G1 Ironhide & Ratchet Head

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by convoymagnus, Dec 17, 2007.

1. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Hi you all!

I wanted to show you an old project, that maybe even some of you will remember as it was posted a couple of years ago in different forums by a friend of mine.

These are my custom Ironhide & Ratchet heads, they are a clip-on attachement that allows the toy to have a realistic G1 style head, with the encore reissue of the figures and the cardboard head they will include I somehow felt that this project must be revived, because i am not the only one interested in upgrading the visual for this so underestimated toy.

The main problem for the project now is that due to the transformation pattern of the toy, the shoulders are too low when you clip the head on so the enhancement in the toy is very poor, now i managed to detach the anchor piece for the arms (the red metal piece) and temporarily re-attach them downside up, and the results were awesome! The problem is that this solution is only temporarily and to work, the toy would have to be with the anchor piece for the arms always unscrewed and provoke the loss of a piece.

I am trying to find a way to make the toy arms be in a higher position without too much modification to the toy itself but until then i leave the pictures of them so you can give me some feedback and maybe some ideas on how to enhance this piece.

in the pictures you will find:

1- ratchet with no attached piece.
    2-Ironhide with just head clip attached
    3-Ratchet with head clip attached and arms moved to a higher position.

enjoy, and I await your feedback
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the Ratchet version. How did you get the arms up higher? Ironhide's arms are too low now that the head has been added.

3. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    That, my friend, is the problem i mentioned, What I did in ratchet was to unscrew the metal red piece and insert it upside down in the same socket upper opening. This makes the arms be in a higher position but the arms would have to be unscrewed always to detach and re attach every time you transform the toy.

4. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Whoa! That's sharp!! Did you make those, or are they repaints/remolds of something else? If you made them, ever think about casting them or sending them off to be cast? You could make some money...I'd buy one of each, and I don't even have IH or Ratch (yet, hopefully)!!

5. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, I don't think I even read the post, I just looked at the pics.............lol

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    wheres the head from. ill be having spare ratchet/ironhide soon, might worth a try.

7. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those look really good, but like everyone else has mentioned, the proportions just get a bit wonky. I honestly think the only way to make a good head for this mold is to put it behind the windshield WWI style... I've been thinking about doing what you did,but placing it there instead.

8. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I like the heads and I would honestly like to have a set myself. As far as advice on how to fix it so the arms go where they should though... it's a little hard to do based solely on the pictures you've provided.

So send them to me and I'll see what I can do. :D 

Ok, seriously though, the pics don't really show much as far as what is causing the arms to be pushed down. Is there any way to cut a notch in the piece that's pushing down on the arms so that it still fits where it is supposed to but allows the arms to be positioned where they should be?

I'm just grasping here since I can't see every single angle possible to see what can be done.

9. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I wonder if those would fit on a classics body style.....say maybe if someone wanted to make their own custom out of towline. Nice work though

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'll take one of each, please!

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely better than the paper crap takara is giving us.

12. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Would be interested in a set. :D 

13. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

EDIT: Okay, nevermind - the issue isn't with the red swing arm mounting to the shoulder, it's the swing arm mounting to the torso itself, which I don't see being a readily kitbashable problem. Maybe if you produced some kind of replacement pin that would lock in the joint from either direction? The only other alternative would require completely rebuilding the entire toro assembly, which seems like a real PITA.

-hx

14. Shockwing

Shockwing Perfectly cromulent. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Fantastic! Will you be selling the heads?

15. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    these look really good... i made some heads for thebehind the windsheild style out of minibot heads glued to the seats. cliffjumper with his horns trimmed makes for a pretty good ironhide...

and can we all stop using the the 'war within look' term for the G1 toy. the toy came came first. the war within referenced this look, it didn't invent it.

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    where the hell have you been?! :) 

back on topic:

Nice work!

17. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

those are nice only if hasbro would of made them like that in the first place

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Awesome heads...makes the toy look 100 times better...

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nice.

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It's a really cool idea. I would have come up with something similar, but with the shoulders as they are it doesn't quite work. It's a pity about that; it's probably a fixable problem, but not easily. Although I think I can see how a double ball-joint could work, mounted higher up.
    I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the faces, either - they're okay, but don't suit the characters for me. Where did they come from? They remind me of a particular fig, and I can't for the life of me think what...