G1 Influence and Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by er4smiths, Dec 29, 2009.

1. er4smiths

er4smiths Optimus Prime Titan

Quick question Boys, will there be a War for Cybertron TV cartoon/CGI show and also will there be a toyline? If so, when?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pray

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Hasbro is saying that events in WFC are going to be beginning canon for whatever new "unified continuity" they want to create. The unified continuity is going to be based mainly on G1, and there may be a cartoon with a toyline, or sequels to WFC that fit in that continuity. Hasbro is just seeing where this goes. The "WFC" continuity is placed under G1 for now, but Hasbro is showing initiative to make it one of only two running lines, one being "Generation United" and the other being the Movieverse.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I dunno where you heard that, but they said this will be the main backstory from now on. This isn't part of G1.

5. Kaymac

Me too. This seems HIGHLY G1 influenced, but for all stories from now on that aren't movie, WFC is apparently the basis. Highly G1 influenced, but not the exact same continuity as the cartoon. Think IDW but now with way more influence on cartoons.

6. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 always has it's hand in something, which is good. Can't keep a classic down!

7. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 is a heavy influence, but so are also the creative changes made and little acknowledges here and there to previous incarnations of previous series in regards to the look of the characters and setting. The story, however, is said to be before the Transformers came to earth, which the teaser makes clear before the transmission begins, showing the civil war that would make them leave their home in the first place.

Now I’m sure more creative changes will happen throughout the telling of the story, making it more coherent and less campy, but even so, a story heavily based on story told in the 80s (cartoon/comic), is still the same story.

Highmoon’s decision to design characters to closely resemble their original G1 look or War Within look (Prime in particular) suggests this story is a continuation of the 1984 story, but even more compelling than that is the statement made about the story fleshing out the reason Megatron and Starscream were at odds prior to the Transformers first contact with Earth; couple that with all we’ve heard and seen what else is there to assume.

If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck…

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

A continuation of the 80s story? Well,there goes the reason for me to buy the game. Why can´t be based on IDW G1 wich is much more interesting? Besides we all know how the 1980s G1 ends what with the future Cybertron in Beast Machines, kinda takes the fun of the game knowing how it all ultimatly ends (hence why I was never a big fan of prequels to begin with).

Besides, if we get to Earth in this new timelines/series/whatever, I´d personaly would like start seing F-22s and Nissans Z rather than F-15s and whatever 80s car the Autobot Triplets were.

9. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Autobot Triplets? LOL you don't really know much about G1 do you? Unless you mean the twins, who vehicle modes were similar but not exact.

10. General Magnus

Prowl, Smokescreen, Bluestreak, three similar tfs. I always called them Autobot triplets because they happen to, well share the same alt mode.

and dude I grew up on G1, I already told you.

11. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    There are variations to each of their alt modes and robot modes. I have the Ark guide in front of me. Only Triplets are the seekers. Keep on hating lol.

12. General Magnus

Variations but still the same basic car mode, an 80s nissan wich I can´t remember the model atm.

And since when is giving an nickname to the Autobot cars hating?

13. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    While we're making shit up, the game will be about Unicorns on their yearly journey to gumdrop mountain, to slay the blood-spider man-queen.

14. Kaymac

He isn't making any of that stuff up. Maybe if you, I dunno, payed some attention, you might know that.

15. General Magnus

Soo..just to clear things up..new continuity or retold G1 story?

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's as much G1 as IDW is.

As in, similar characters and stories, but different continuity and designs.

17. Kaymac

Pretty much this. It's War Within: The Game.

18. Archaea

Archaea Autobot Archeaologist

my goodness

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

See, to me this is G1.

Remember, G1 is a setting... not an actual continuity. If you compare the various original media, G1 doesn't have one set continuity, but rather a few distinct incarnations and a set of characters that are generally considered to be the same, unified under a single umbrella.

It may be a new take on G1 or a retcon of G1 or an alternate G1... but it's still absolutely G1. Anything else is just splitting hairs.

zmog

20. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But that would make RID, Armada, Animated, the Movie, etc... all G1 retcons.

Which I do agree to a small degree that they are, but I'm thinking of this game as a refresh more than a retcon. If Hasbro is going to do a relaunch of the TF mythos with this game and incorporate all that's been done that is good for the last 25 years, then I can only look forward to all that is coming at us the next few years. I've thought Hasbro should have done something like years ago.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009