G1 Hasbro of Takara Giftsets?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by johnchow604, Mar 31, 2012.

1. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given the choice of a G1 Hasbro or Takara Giftset (eg. Computron, Defensor, Menasor, Superion) for the same price, which would you prefer?

I'd prefer Takara at least for Computron and Defensor since their box art of those two combiners looks better than their Hasbro counterparts (especially for Computron).

Btw, where are the best places online to buy G1 Takara Giftsets (besides eBay)?

2. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

You could go on Toy Arena to buy high quality knock offs of combiner sets if you can't afford the real deal.

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    1) You will most likely (read never) score some of the sets for the same money. Sometimes the Takara one is more expensiv and sometimes the Hasbro one is.

i.e. US Defensor is about 1.5, 2 x times the Takara one.

I own 2 giftsets and I prefer Hasbro ones because of the text on them.

2) Most likely ebay when it comes to the Hasbro ones and that will mean 6 giftset avalible to you with 3 of them with KO:s on the market, unsure if the Computron KO is out then it would be 4, this can hassle you if you want all originals.

3) Japan auction sites or sometimes ebay will let you bid on giftsets. Otherwise you need conections that can help you hunt for them, especially the Japanese ones. If you ask some of the ppl here that can dig up what you want, you must be ready with the cash so you dont waste their time.

Then you have the GIG ones...and the Abominus will cost you there.

4. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's interesting about the US Defensor being worth more than Takara's.

Why is that? Is it because Takara's was more readily available? And price wise do you how much a US Defensor generally goes for?

5. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd generally like the US Hasbro versions because of the english language text. Both versions are awesome though.

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Probably because its rare. If I remeber correctly this is what it should be about when it comes to value.

Hasbro Defensor > Takara Defensor
    Hasbro Superion < Takara Superion
    Hasbro Computron > Takara Computron
    Hasbro Menasor = Takara MEnasor
    Hasbro Piranacon > Takara Piranacon (King Poseidon)
    Hasbro Devastator = Takara Devastator

GIG Abominus (Thundertron) > Takara Abominus
    GIG Bruticus > Takara Bruticus

But then again the market has been through its upp and downs so I dont know how it is these days. Best bet is to check completed listing on ebay and other auctions sites.