G1: Has Hasbro lost interest?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CheifMagnum84, Jan 25, 2012.

?

More G1?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

80 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. No

120 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. Whats G1?

25 vote(s)
    11.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CheifMagnum84

CheifMagnum84 Active Member

Let me ask all you G1 fans this: Do you think Hasbro has basically forgot about us? :) 

Personally I think yes, as all i've seen so far for new products is Cyberverse, Prime, Kre-o and more movie crap. Do they think Botcon's gonna bail em outta having to bring new G1 stuff out? Because if so, their poorly mistaken. :( 

The Official Transformers Collectors Club are bringing out G1 Runamuck and Runabout. Hats off to em I say, they don't bring out much, but what they DO bring out at least appeals to fans. :D 

So I say to those at Hasbro, get off your collective butts and do something productive, and prove my little rant wrong, before 3rd parties put you all outta business.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Over the past couple years alone, G1 has had PLEANTY of updates/references. I think it's about time that G1 sit back and lets another generation of Transformers get some of the spotlight for once. Like, for example, Robots in Disguise :D 

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah they've totally lost interest that's why a good portion of the characters introduced in Prime are basically G1 updates.

4. CheifMagnum84

Got nothing against RID, they aint had much luv eitha, so I'm agreeing with ya on that 1. :) 

5. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Does anybody know when Leadfoot is being released?

6. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

12 years ago = yes
    Now = Not sure how you could even think that

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

... no?

We just got a wave that had a remold of a hyper-obscure Japanese G1 Character and a troop builder that has extra features that exist solely to replicate a two minute scene in the 1986 movie.

Sure, they haven't done much in for Classics lately but... to be honest, they haven't released much new product in general since summer.

8. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Whether you like it or not, Hasbro's primary market is with the children and the children have no attachment to Generation 1. That's that. And as such, new stuff will come in and fuel the brand by gaining the interest of the children- aka Prime and Cyberverse. ANYTHING collector based from Hasbro in terms of pure G1 fanwank is secondary, and you have Generations returning sometime this year for that as it is.

FunPub and BotCon exist to cater to fans, but it seems lately they've forgotten all of that nonsense and decide "Nah, let's work on our fanfics instead. They're getting the Battlechargers this year, that'll shut em up."

You Geewun guys have it easy. Try having your favorite era of Transformers completely swept under the rug.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You see, that doesn't count, because unless it's a direct copy of peoples perceptions of G1 it's not G1.

Because why would we ever want the brand to move forward.

10. CheifMagnum84

Yeah, and its still PRIME. Prime aint G1, as much as their tryin to make it LOOK G1.

11. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I don't think so, I think it's just that classics/universe did a fairly complete job of homaging early G1 that they need to take a bit of a break for a bit. They still put out loads of G1-related stuff (like Black Shadow) but it's not US 84-85 references as that's been done over and over.

Plus, we've got a super-successful movie (regardless of what you think of it's quality, it makes money) and an ongoing TV series - they need their toys to support them.

Give it another few years and toy engineering will have advanced far enough to justify making a re-do of several classics/G1 characters and the toys will come.

About your last point on third parties... they'll never put Hasbro out of business. Hasbro makes more money off kids than they do from collectors like you and me. They're a business, and if they make 10x the money making movie/Prime Bumbleebee, they'll give them what they want. Plus, more collector-oriented lines like Classics are partly funded by all this cash they make from the movies and new lines.

12. CheifMagnum84

:D  Finally! lol

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two figures released in the past months, during the last of the movie line push and the beginnings of TF Prime ... and then earlier last year we had Warpath, Scourge, Wreck-Gar ... Hasbro hates G1. I better go hold on to my 2 Beast Wars figures that were released in the Classics treatment before they start hating that era too.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Profit's always the main goal, but Hasbro has always included variety, to make everyone happy.

They care about G1, alot more than we think. It's not on the priority list, but G1 inspirations are usually there.

15. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    But but but... some of those are from '86 onward! That's not REAL GEEWUN! Waaaaah! Why don't they just remake the 84-85 cast over and over!

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah where's our classics jumpstarters and minispies?

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think our problem is Hasbro, if it was left solely up to Hasbro we'd get cool stuff all the time and likely be fussing slow down guys my wallet can only take so much.

The real enemy here is retailers. Long long ago in a galaxy far far away there was this little obscure film series called Star Wars that sold toys so hard it was like printing money. So somehow retailers got it in their rather thick heads that if Star Wars sold like crazy then every movie line will sell as hard as Star Wars toys. Even though retailers have been stuck with so many failed movie lines all they want is movie toys if a movie is out that summer.

Once there isn't a movie to deal with then retailers will not care what Hasbro does with Transformers as long as Hasbro stays within the price point retailers are looking for.

Then we should start seeing more G1 stuff. I mean heck even Transformers Prime could not get toys out for the cartoon premier because of movie toy mania by retailers so if Hasbro's new flag ship cartoon can't get a spot on shelves you know retailers weren't going for anything else that wasn't movie toy.

18. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

Fact: G1 was a poorly animated cartoon with horrible dialogue.
    Fact: A good portion of G1 toys were inarticulated bricks with alt modes that resembled nothing.
    Fact: Hasbro has thrown plenty of bones at G1 over the last 4 years considering what it was.

Remember the original G1 cartoon only lasted 3 seasons and the toy line ground to a halt after 7 (the last three of which were HORRIBLE). We definitely view it through rose colored glasses now.

19. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And Dino/Mirage for that matter...

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Hasbro SHOULD lose interest in G1, if you ask me.

I've enjoyed the classics lineup, but damn, give love to other series too. They were ALL important to keeping the brand going, and every series was someone's first, someone's favorite. I know beasts unfortunately don't sell anymore, but lets see some RID and Unicron Trilogy love in Generations when it comes back. The line was supposed to be a catch-all line for figures from all series, thus the name, but ended up just being yet another G1 wankfest. Remember how excited everyone got when we saw the deluxe Starscream listing in generations, and thought it might be an updated Armada Starscream, only to find out it was the First Edition Prime Starscream? Give us our update of Armada Starscream, damn. Repaint the new laser prime mold as Scourge.

G1 fans are fucking spoiled, and I say that as a G1 fan. That anyone could look at the TF franchise now and ask if Hasbro is neglecting G1 fans is complete and utter nonsense, especially after so many releases in Generations and RTS, which included super obscure characters like Straxus and Black Shadow. There's what, somewhere around 30 G1 toys in Universe 2.0, 17 in RTS, 15 in Generations, and 16 in classics, counting the G1 Legend figures too? I'm going off memory, so I may be off, but counting all the ones I can remember off hand, that comes to 78 figures. 78 figures.

Think about fans of the other series. Beast Machines fans got two titanium figures. Armada fans got Universe Hot Shot. RID got one titanium figure. Energon? Nothing? Cybertron? Nothing. These are the fans that should be complaining, not the G1 fans.