G1 Grimlock questions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Ok we all know how tough Grimlock is, in Season 1 he was criticizing the Autobots and Optimus Prime and wanted to become Leader. He was always either hesitating or rejecting to help the Auobots, and in Season 3 he was all lovey dovry even cried when Rodimus Prime went offline for bit. Why is that though did he hold any grudges again Optimus?

2. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

rodiums is spuize see grimlock a smart

3. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    The power of Kup's war stories tamed Grimlock. :) 

4. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, speaking Cartoon Grimlock only (Marvel Comics Grimlock is my fav by far) I think it was an issue of usage.

Pre Movie the Dinobots were played as powerful wild cards. Yes they were dumb but they were also rough, violent, uncontrollably and super powerful. Movie and Post Movie the Dinobots were played 100% for comic relief as childlike idiots to laugh at with no notable power really.

There is no official "why" in canon for the change. Writter's just used them different.

"Fanon" wise I sometimes like to imagine that the Pre-movie Dinos were basically sentient AI and unsparked. Just built by WJ. Sometime before the film they got Vector Sigma to spark them, bringing them truely to life but also making them much more childlike. That's completely baseless in fiction though.

-ZacWilliam, not that I think on it too too much, since I much prefer the Comic style Dino's as said.

5. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Well-Known Member

I prefer the season 1 versions to be honest, they were tougher and I liked the fact that they didn't spend every episode in Dino mode.

6. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    You should read the Marvel G1(UK especially) comics. They weren't idiots and kept their rebellious streak.

7. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

Optimus kept the Dinobots locked up in closet most of the time. When was the last time Rodimus did that to them?

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Without Wheeljack around anymore to fine-tune those Jerry-rigged brain boxes the Dinobots have, the poor guys started back-sliding.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i blame sundow for killing 5 dinobots in show

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    The real answer is the popularity of the Dinobots. It's easier to integrate them into the show (especially Grimlock) if they make him a kid appeal character rather than the seldom seen wildcard.

The easiest way to do that is to make him childish in his own way and make him part of the group.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I like that explanation. :) 

Unless you count the Wheeljack that was still alive in Masterforce (or Victory - I forget which).

12. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

wheel jack in tf victory too

13. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

How about them just adjusting to the team?

Keep in mind they were in existence for two years total by the end of the second season. By the time the movie takes place, it's 20 years after that. So they've lived ten lifetimes compared to their final appearance before the movie, it makes sense that they would change, become more accustomed to the Autobots as a whole. It's not like they had an issue with Optimus, given that they were in the shuttle with him and he thought them reliable enough to be the reinforcements for Autobot City.

I think their childlike personalities are, ironically, them maturing and finding their "true" personalities, rather than the animalistic (... or adolescent-seeming) outbursts of their youth.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He got better. :) 

At least from a conceptual standpoint, I prefer the cartoon Dinobots to the comic ones. They were the first Transformers to be (unambiguously) created by other Autobots on Earth, and their basic personalities reflected that. In other continuities, they were just unusually tough Cybertronians with strange alt-modes and anger issues.