G1 Gnaw

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by joevill, Aug 14, 2008.

1. joevill

joevill Well-Known Member

Why is it that such an ugly figure sells so high on eBay? I never wanted him before but now I want to get him to complete the 1986 collection only to discover he is in high demand.

2. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, I found the same thing when I went to look for him a couple years ago. I think since he was such an ugly figure, no one cared to take care of him for the past 20 years and now there are only so many decent ones left.

3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    As he wasn't a core character, was an ugly little swine, and wasn't affiliated with either Autobot or Decepticon (despite his packaging), I don't think he sold particulary well back in the day, I certainly had no desire to get him.

Also, be wary of the recent KO.

4. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have the japanese mail away MIB gnaw, but sadly I cannot find his weapons. Now THOSE are expensive!!

5. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    Ugly??? He's not ugly... I have 3 of them to make a sharkticonpit (1 Hasbro, 1 japanese mailaway and 1 KO). My wife loves Gnaw.

According to her, and her friends it's one of the few G1 Transformers that looks good. Almost all G1 transformers look blocky and bulky, but Gnaw is one of the ones that doesn't

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another reason is that some people buy lots of him as "army builders" or what not for dioramas. Because who wants just one sharkticon? You need lots

7. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

This guy is on it!I'm glad I got mine when they sold for $40.00 complete before all these K/O craps started comming out.Gnaw is not really ugly if you look at him he is one of the few TF's that is really cartoon acurate.In sharkti-what ever the hell he is mode he has that look like I'm gonna bite your boys and there is nothing you can do about it.In bot mode he looks like a little sumo guy.Every girl I've ever brought around in the past says he is the cutest one so I think they win hands down!

8. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Completeness and condition make Gnaw a high demand figure - he's been that way for about a year now. Everyone has one but to find one with no (or little) chrome wear, his weapon, and the "Holy Grail" original tail - all in decent shape - is difficult.

I paid $90 for mine but he's mint and complete. Check out transformerland.com, they are very good at describing the toy (if you see NEAR MINT in the description then you can be assured it will look like new), but you have to be patient. It took me a year to get my Gnaw in the shape I wanted. It can be found.

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Ya, I was kind of hoping the KO would be reasonably priced and then I could pick one up. But even that is horribly expensive.

10. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love GNAW! I scored one for 30 bucks a few months ago, tail IS mint as well as NO chrome wear at all. He also has never had stickers applied except for the ones he already has on, only thing is I need his gun, which will be tough, but I NEEED IT!!!!

11. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Unless those third season characters are truly rare, I don't really understand why they are so expensive:
    1. Gnaw, sure he was not as popular as the others so probably less people bought him, but still, that doesn't justify the $70-80 price tag, and he comes with minimum amount of accessories, unlike wheeljack.
    2. Springer, now this is a popular character, and still expensive comparing to the others, again, minimum amount of accessories
    3. Scourge, popular character and it's a great toy in my opinion. Comes with minimum accessories too, maybe people just want a sweep team?

Now the dirt cheap guy among the season 3 character is..... KUP
    Seriously, quite often you can get him shipped around $8-10 without the gun, or $13-$20 with the gun. He's a great toy though, even with the reissue going around it still doesn't justify this price.