G1 Generation Figs - Thumbs down.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SoljaRTT, Jul 31, 2010.

1. SoljaRTT

SoljaRTT Well-Known Member

When I was 3 and able to work a VHS player to play the fhe tapes, and I guess the show never had reruns.

Is the general consensus that lines like PCC exist at a determent to a G1 Generations line? No new WFC figures are planned for Generations and I am unfamiliar with characters like Darkmount/Straxus and Drift to know if there are any other unmade characters. I just don't want to see in a year the Generations line repaints of TF Movie one figures with G1 names just in "Generations" packaging. Something that has happened in the Universe line and I think the reasoning is to cater to the G1 diehards.

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree to a certain extent, but I think you're taking it a little far.

While I am a constant advocate of all things newer rather than being a G-whiner, Hasbro has an IP to keep up. Some homages please the fans and make designing toys easier and more recognizable. Hasbro also churns them out their own pace (thank god) so a homage here and there isn't a bad thing. As a matter of fact, it one of the things I think made Animated so good. Homage tastic- but with its own flair and personality. Heck, it even stapled some new bots into Transformer's continuing history. TF Prime has Bulkhead, and we've gotten ROTF Lockdown and soon to be Lugnut.

However, the fandom is the one I'm ticked off with. Many people don't realize how a business works and expect too much. They think the lines should revolve around them, rather than, you know, kids. G1wunners are the worst of the bunch. Bawww no classics Wheeljack. HASBRO ShuD SCrAP EVEYTING uttil masperice *insert obscure favorite character here*

It's grating and downright embarrassing to be associated with these people as adults.

3. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Wow!?!

Remind me again... These are toys right?

If something comes out and I like it... I buy it.... and if I don't like it... I pass... End of story.

You can't please everybody and you can't win them all, but one thing remains... Respect and know your roots.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm actually overly thrilled that we're getting G1 updates as well as newly-designed figures. In my opinion, this is one of the greatest times to be a TF fan if you're mainly into toys. Also, add to this that the line is certainly manageable from a money standpoint.

I think we've got a nice blend of something new, something old, and something for everyone. Also, I tend to be in the middle of things, as I'm very hardcore into G1, but I like seeing new things as well. Sorry, you won't find me giving a "thumb's down" here.

Quite simply, if you don't like these, you can buy movie toys. If you don't like movie toys, we've still got a few Animated figures coming out. We've got a few WfC toys (as have been mentioned). We still get some G1 reissues and such . . . . honestly, we're pretty blessed when it comes to what we have going on right now, I think.

I just remember the days of Beast Machines where I didn't like many (read: not all, but some) of the toys, but pretty much that's all that was out at the time on the shelves . . . .

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    THIS describes my feelings well. The blend nowadays is awesome and personally i wouldnt expect everyone to like every toy. Dont like a repaint? DONT BUY IT. Look for the next new character, etc.

Theres a lot for everyone now and its not like before when you only had very few choices. With the addition of ebay and collector sites fans have soooo many choices nowadays. I think thats pretty awesome.

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    generations finally gave me thrust and soon dirge, who i have been moaning for since 2007. it was my curiosity of g1 in 2005 that got me full blown into collecting, being a beast wars kid, and the classics line was the first true line i can say where my collecting actually truely started......i've wanted those two since the reveal of ramjet back then and i finally got thrust, dirge coming....so i LOVE the generations line, drift is my favorite deluxe figure, he is fantastic, and we are getting straxus and thunderwing, how is that not epic win?

7. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    What he said.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm sorry. I didn't get the message from Hasbro saying, "you don't HAVE to buy everything we make!" :lol  /joke

I was going to mention toys and toylines of past, but felt that it may not have as much relevance to this thread since we're talking about new stuff. However, that's another great option that I've been doing to an extent: if you don't like a current line, just find an older one you'd like to fill out. Or better yet, you don't have to buy anything new and just enjoy what you have :) 

9. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yep, if I like a figure or mold, I buy it (sometimes multiple times if it's a nice repaint), if I don't I pass. I gave animated a try and it just didn't grow on me; I loved the show but the toy aesthetic just didn't jive with me, so I sold all my Animated but one (Arcee). As much as people poke fun at "brickformers" I don't mind lack of posability. I also like the updated versions of characters in CHUG.

Certain repaints, for example Darkwing, a repaint of Universe Silverbolt, to me just looks like a purple and grey Silverbolt. To me it's not a good enough upgrade on the original Darkwing character--so I won't buy it. It's a mindset I got out of a long time ago, and my wallet is happier for it, buying figures just because it says "Transformers" on it.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think SoljaRTT needs to differentiate between the original 80s toy and the character itself.
    The 1894 Hasbro release of, for example, Jazz is not actually Jazz himself, but a toy version of him.
    These are characters that form the foundation of the franchise and they are popular to boot, so why not allow them to continue through the years and let their representations in toy form grow and develop along the way?
    The characters will never go away, and nor would we want them to (in most cases anyway :lol ) so what's wrong with periodically having the most modern version of a character in toy form utilising the latest designs and engineering?

I can understand wanting toys of new characters, heck I do as well, that is part of what keeps the franchise fresh and exciting, but so does new toys of older characters.

11. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I personally like all the G1 remakes in the Generations line. It give fans like me who were not born when G1 came out a chance to have these awesome characters in our collection, without paying the ebay prices to get the originals. The G1 remake figs are on the top of my list of what to buy. You can keep the movie stuff.

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    First, I'll grant that I'm only basing this on a picture of the new Jazz. But I'm not seeing that much advancement. Articulation in the legs, sure, great. But as far as design and probable engineering...meh. Animated was a bigger advancement IMO.

That means I agree with the OP...I think?

13. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Not really. It's still an improvment over the original figure, which didn't have that much articulation to begin with. Head rotation (maybe more), better arms and legs, weapon storage.....and FOLD OUT SPEAKERS?!

Yeah it's kinda hard to say that this is a step back.

14. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Damnit. I missed the Hearts of Steel Jazz!!! Where can I get one? :lol 

Seriously tho, Generations is but one line, and it carries the classics style now. When they make updates of all the major g1 characters, and start making them again, then we can talk stagnate. Right now, no. I would like to see some new and original characters in the classics style... some new sub teams, new leaders etc... I hope this happens within the next 3-5 years.

Right now tho, Hasbro is making NEW MOLDS OF OLD FAVORITES and riding the nostalgia train. I like it. There's gonna be TF Prime next year with movie 3, so how could anything be stagnate? They've got at least 3 styles of TF's going at one time. Back in the Unicron era, you were stuck with one design style unless you bought from a collector toy store or off the net. We have so many different releases (G1 reissues, Masterpieces, Movie, animated, PCCs, generations, alternity) that when someone says a certain style or line is stagnating or hindering progress, I wonder if they're paying attention to how many toys there really are out there.

15. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Two sets of knees and ugly faces do evolve the line. I politely disagree with everything the OP said.

16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was on the verge of posting something similar to the OP. Predictably, most of the replies have been gushing toward Classics/Generations, and that's OK. I get that most fans like it.

I did too. At one point or another I've owned two Henkei and two Classic collections (going on to sell them). Now, with the news of more Classics, I'm tempted to start collecting them again. I go to ebay to buy back what I sold - and I see the high prices for Classics/Universe 2.0 stuff - and I find myself... not really all that bothered.

I just can't get that enamoured with them. I almost feel "guilty" as the rest of fandon are going overboard with love, but I feel... I don't know: Like I already "have" a perfectly good G1 toyline. It's there, it's good, I don't need it repeated ad nauseum. I find myself far more interested in "new" incarnations of the franchise; Transformers has (until "CHUG") always been about the new incarnation, the evolution - with occasional nods and homages embedded within those (e.g. Armada, Cybertron etc) thrown in for "old school" fans.

Though there are some great toys in Classics - the seeker mould, Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, Prowl, Jetfire - I just find myself havin to make an effort to get really excited about them.

I might feel different when Generations finally turns up at mass retail here in the UK. I hope I do. But I completely understand the OP's point of view.

17. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Thought we were talking about toys...
    Weren't they classed as "Ages 5 & up"?
    Your G1 childhood experience must be based off of Actionmasters you got in 1990 :lol 

I'm just messing with you...
    Think whatever the hell you want.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  18. cuters

cuters Diabolist

hooray for c,h,u,g

19. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Couldn't of said it better myself. This is technically the most diverse amount of product that Hasbro themselves has given to consumers, AFAIK. And it actually nice to have a CHOICE as to what one would like to buy and/or collect.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

screw g1; generations is where it's at, it's the toys we all WISHED g1's were when we were all kids. same with the gi joe, dc Universe, and He-man Classic figures.

having a new Jazz, Goldbug, tracks, and windcharger, that finally actually LOOKS like what they did in the show. having a ratchet with a head!, and having these toys that can actually pose.

and move around. with actual complex, yet fun transformations, these are the toys we WISHED g1 was back in 83.

don't get me wrong, i like g1's, but it's nice to have updates of these classic characters, also.

step back? no, transformers has always been moving forward, just look at optimus prime's.
    from g1, until now. while they all look they are the same character, and often times they are all the same vehicle, everytime the "new" optimus prime, has become not only more fun, but more accurate. look at power master optimus prime, vs g1, it is by far the more "fun" toy, while at the same time the more complex. AND it has a robot mode that is closer to the robot mode from the show. with every prime, we've had, they more accurate to the show, the more complex they are too. look at movie rotf prime. he is very accurate to the movie model, in fact he might even be better.

and maybe you do not like the generations toys, that's fine, maybe you do not like the original characters, that's fine too, there are plenty of movie characters out there. :)  and i am sure we will get more then just 4 WFC toys, maybe just the four for now, but if they sell well, we will get more. :)