Minor/Repaint: G1/G2 Decepticon Planes Darkstar and Apparition

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Cybertronian, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Howdy, y'all.
    I thought I'd share some fresh pics of latest creations, Darkstar and Apparition. There are early photos, but these have been taken since I got a higher quality digital camera (Sony CyberShot DSC-H5). I included a pic or 2 w/o flash since they seem a bit bright on my screen. I'll write more tomorrow when I hope fully have more time. In the meantime, let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-- Cybertronian.

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'M SO glad to see you posting your work like this and with such nice quality! It's been a LONG time coming, man :) 

3. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice paint jobs. :) 

4. Cybertronian

Thank you Superquad, Antapp.

As I promised, here is a bit more detail on my 2 new Deceptiplanes.
    [​IMG]Apparition's "G2 Purple" color is a mixture of 1 drop of Apple Barrel's Neon Purple + 1 drop of Delta Ceramcoat's Passion; meant to very closely match Generation 2 Ramjet parts. I strongly recommend using a primer, especially when the original piece is metallic burnt orange. :lol  Since Classics Skywarp's launchers looked like a close match, that's what I got for him. When BotCon/TFCC 2011's "G2 Redux Ramjet" comes out, I'll probably get an extra so he can use its launchers instead. (I'm still on the fence about swapping in a pair of Darkov's "G1 Style" Classic missiles.)
    [​IMG]Darkstar was supposed to be reassembled from factory-produced black parts. Unfortunately, I couldn't remove the teal engine pods from G2 Ramjet's wings forcing me to paint them. In her original '90s profile, it was my intention that Darkstar be a technoorganic symbiosis (think Venom) between a Decepticon warrior and an aggressive teenager modeled after The Young & The Restless/The Bold & The Beautiful character Sheila Forrester. Even if that part is ignored, you still have one female Seeker who's as murderous as Starscream and scarier than Dirge (not to mention more courageous).

[​IMG]

As you can see, they are both in need of labels. I'm currently working on Plan A: beg and plead for Reprolabels to produce custom sheets from both, which are based on recolors of the various Seeker decal details. If they decide not to, Plan B is to make use of various vintage and re-issue label sheets I've collected and produce a unique set from that. Apparition's feet and Darkstar's intakes/shoulders are already wearing decals in colors/patterns I had in mind. As for factory-applied wing stripes, Plan A is the only option.

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Purplely goodness indeed! lol

6. Cybertronian

I hate to bump this, but this is a temporary solution until "Search" is restored.
    I'm still trying to get decal sheets made. I have Photoshopped a mock-up of the sheets though.
    (Also, the DSC-H5 -- eaten by Greyhound along with my Blaster USB Hub -- has finally been replaced.)

7. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful mate!

8. Cybertronian

It appears that I was a year or two too late for Plan A: Reprolabels changed their label-making technique (for the better... I love the newest Skywarp, Dirge, and Buzzsaw sets I bought from them), making single-color changes on a custom sheet (such as a Dirge sheet w/ blue factory stripes, instead of red) less of a possibility. That being said, I have more than enough vintage and reissue Seeker label sheets in my collection to make them look box-new. But I won't have a solution for the factory decals.

On Darkstar, I'm wondering if I should use metallic style red eyes (from Skywarp's Reprolabel sheet) or smoother style red eyes (from Dirge's Reprolabel sheet). I'm also keeping painting them on the table. I'm much less picky on Apparition's eyes.

Enclosed are the labels I would have wanted for each plane if I were able to get the sheets made. Apparition's is on the left, Darkstar's on the right. (The medium sized symbols with a flat topped cut on Dirge/Apparition's sheet are perfect for Darkstar.)
    (Don't ask me how or what I used to digibash these sheets. It's complicated.)

Attached Files:

9. Cybertronian

WIP: Darkstar, as of 26 Juin, 2013

[FONT="Square721 BT, Eras Medium ITC"]I'm still working on Plan B. (Or B-and-a-half.)
    I had to grin, bear it, and buy "normal" Ramjet Reprolabels in order for Darkstar to have factory wing stripes. Which means, until my situation improves, she'll have blue stripes like Ramjet. It also means that Apparition will be wearing Dirge's intake decals and Thrust's foot decals -- vertically flipped.

I've been sidetracked because even though I have all the other decals lined up (thanks to Animax -- where I bought Encore #11 SW and TC, and Wheeljackslab -- who sold me all of the loose decal sheets for this project, and then some), I felt a strong need to photograph and write about them, for posterity and so future collectors who know: this variant really existed! Once I finally post Thrust's decal photos and the latest of the Reprolabels arrive, I'll get to work on Darkstar, then Apparition.

In the meantime, some good news. After a 2 year long wait, Altitron completed Darkstar's fantastic "box art" photo, allowing me to do this: :D 
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure that it prints up larger than 8" x 2", but I'll eventually work on that. Let me know what y'all think.
    -- Cybertronian.[/FONT]

10. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Oooooo!
    G1 customs rock hard!
    and I am a sucker for seekers... the more the merrier!