G1 figures: Do you refurbish them?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Perhaps in an attempt to save money (maybe even for a challenge), you'd get a junker that needed fixing: tightening joints, removing worn stickers and grime, maybe even applying some paint (assuming you could match the original hue). Have you done this? Would you recommend it? Discuss!

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I do it all the time with seekers and other g1 figures.
    1.i love rebuilding them
    2.for me it can be cheaper than buying complete mint figs

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I once saw this G1 Prime in terrible shape that I was tempted to pick up on eBay, but this was before I got into modifying figures.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    i picked up 3 g1 primes for nothing off ebay and used them to build a near new prime

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    With my true originals, the ones I had as a kid, I don't touch them. The only thing I'll do is refurnish with a missing weapon or accessory. Well, I guess it depends on the severity of the damage.

Loose joint, nope .. untouched.
    Bad paint, left alone.
    Broken or snapped parts ... yeah, I'll fix it. (combiner links, busted spring, etc)

With stuff I've purchased from eBay ... anything goes.

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I don't usually worry about missing/broken parts. If it's out there for cheap, and I don't have it... I'm buying.

I like the challenge of trying to rebuild.

7. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

I was thinking about replacing the faded smokestacks from my loose Powered Convoy cab, is that a good idea? One can always customize their junker G1 figure and "pimp it up", heh.

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Seconded!

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Definitely. I've bought junker scramble city guys and swapped out the die-cast parts onto my originals, repainted, clear-coated joints, scrubbed away pop residue, lots of stuff like that.

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    One of my favorite G1 figures, Shockwave, was found at Goodwill missing accessories, an arm and had broken elbows. After about $40 and some searching, I have a minty complete figure. The personal investment of time and energy makes the figure worth much more than the highest price tags on eBay. *hugs Shockwave*

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I used to, back in the day. I'd buy some in not-so-good condition, clean them up, replace parts if needed, put on repros and viola, a new g1. I still have a few that need a good polish and some repros, but Im too lazy.

12. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I refurb anything if it's possible. I just picked up a G1 Blaster with a stuck door, and shot stickers, but really tight joints. I took him apart, fixed the door and ordered a set of reprolabels and he's minty new.

I picked up a junker MP-3 (broken right arm and nose-cone). He cost me $2 in parts to fix and I only paid $40 for it!

Theres a certain satisfaction that comes from restoring toys you love. And its (sometimes) a much cheaper way to get the figures you want.

13. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to pick up junkers and fix them up... my only thing is that I don't like worn paint... it's impossible to touch up the paint on die-cast parts without repainting the parts... but I'll get loose junkers and complete and tighten them, and am starting to go thru my collection for reprolabels needs... adds some personal value by making them into little projects.

14. Straycat

Straycat TFQ Addict in Rehab

Cool, you guys are inspiring me to want to try this. Sounds like a fun project. :) 

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I did this with my G1 Prime, with several Datsun Z car brothers and with some seekers.

16. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After getting my g1's out of storage I redid my Wheeljack. I stripped off the chipping paint from the metal, cleaned and repainted the entire figure. He now looks great and has much more sentimental value to me now than ever before.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Botcon 2006 I bought two reasonable G1 Mirages (and Reprolablels) to make into one good one. I might do something like that again, although reissues and knockoffs are clouding the issue somewhat.

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I did it for a lot of my combiners. I plan on reprolabeling all of my G1 stuff as well when I finally get around to it.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so, this begs a question- how do ya know (other than an honest seller telling you upfront) if a g1 is refurbished or not?

me, i'd love to do some work on my g1 grimlock- he is way too loose IMO- or fix up my g1 thundercracker- those flaps at his feet pop off easy and the swivels at his wings (on the body) are loose.

i am just too spooked to take apart figs and try to put em back together,lol.

20. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    I've done it many of times I repainted a Paint starved G-1 Ultra Magnus by stripping him removing the old paint on the chest and repainting it a brighter white and with some reprolables he looks better then the reissue i recently sold off.