G1 figures and their labels

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Crispy, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Crispy

Crispy Active Member

Could some G1 fans share their views on this?

When you aquire a vintage figure, what do you do re stickers? Does it HAVE to have all or most of them for it to meet your standards? If not do you Reprolabel them?

Or, if some stickers are missing or badly scuffed, do you leave them as they are and appreciate the figure as it is, and accept the 20-25 years worth of history and wear behind it?

I have this dilemma myself, OCD over little things like First Aid missing his red stripes etc.

Anyway, any opinions appreciated :) 

2. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

It really depends on the condition of the figure when I aquire it. When restored my Sunstreaker + Wheeljack, I had to do some touch-up painting to both figures after I removed all of the original stickers. Those 2, and alot more, have gone through complete restoration efforts. Other figures, like my Reflector, didnt need to have the original stickers removed - even though new crispy Repro-labels would have looked sharp, the originals add to instead of take awy from the figures. Some of the original labels cant be very easily aquired to begin with. Like for Downshift, Astrotrain, and Jazz - the original labels have content on them that arent used anymore. Downshifts license plate has "Celica" written on it, Astrotrain had NASA on it, and the original Jazz had "Porsche" monikers on it.

3. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be honest, I don't care very much about the stickers. In fact, a lot of my collection is sticker-less, lol :)  Eventually, one day, I may get reprolabels for them, but not sure. For me it is more of the nostalgia of the 25+ year old toy and the fact that they were so much fun when I was a kid. I only care that they are in decent shape for being around 25 years old, but in some cases, I enjoy getting an old crappy figure, taking it apart, cleaning it, tightening joints, etc. In some cases I can get them to look almost new out of the box and it is rewarding. Stickers are replacable :wink: 

Besides, on occassion, I will get a figure that has awesome stickers and I feel like a kid at Christmas :D 

4. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I'm buying a G1 figure, I want the figure itself to look good: little or no discoloration, tight joints and no bite marks! The labels are of less concern, because if they look bad, I most certainly will Repro-label them. I usually wait until I have 4-5 TF's needing new labels before I make a Reprolabels order, but those new labels are definitely always rewarding in the final look of a figure.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i buy unopened or mint reissues. : )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    depends how bad they are, i will sticker some if they are horrible

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't pay too much attention to the quality/presence of stickers on the vintage G1 stuff I purchase, since they all get Reprolabels once they enter my collection. Even if the original stickers are in fairly good condition, I'll always remove them and apply a Repro set, if one is available. Stickers that are applied incorrectly (crooked, wrong spot, etc) or faded even a little take a lot away from the appearance of the figure, so I'd rather just remove them and get fresh ones, where possible.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I buy reprolabels for every G1 they have made. If I don't need them now, I may need them later, and who knows if repro stickers will still be bing made.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't worry about stickers when I buy a figure since I'll just repro them if they stickers are bad. If I had my G1s out I'd probably repro more of them, but they've been packed away for years now.

10. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    This is why I try to buy original G1s who either have their stickers decently applied or no stickers applied at all. Some people claim shoddy sticker app's add to the charm of a vintage figure (Yeah, okay... :lol ) but IMO G1s that have half-peeled stickers or look like they've been applied by a baby won't be bought by me. I'd rather pay a little more or wait 'til a better one shows up on Ebay.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I want to start doing this, too. Thing is, a lot of my collection needs it anyways.

12. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I ideally want figures that haven't had any stickers applied, except manufacturer-applied ones, should I find a G1 box w/bubble to put them in, or have all the original stickers applied and intact. I prefer to wait and swap out figures in my collection if/when I find something better than I have, but missing or slightly worn stickers don't bother me.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I prefer the stickers on my vintage G1s as is, as i can easily envision the child who once owned playing with it and to me the joy it once brought a child radiates through the years.

14. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    If they look like crap, I replace them. I also normally wait until I have to order 5+ to order them.