G1/Encore Ironhide/Ratchet Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Prometheum5, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This may be a stupid or previously answered question, but i couldn't find it after a couple searches...
    On the G1 Ironhide/Ratchet mold, it van mode it seems like the long silver gun should be able to store on the underside of the van (it fits right into the chrome belt, including the peg) but the middle circular part is ever-so slightly too thick (on my new Encore fig at least), so the gun scrapes along the ground under the van... is the gun supposed to store under there, and fit without hitting the ground? Does it work on the G1 (due to a mold tweak for the Encore maybe?)...
    Thanks for any help!

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Seems like it should fit. Pulled out my g1 Ironhide and took a look. I don't have a gun, but it seems the gun shouldn't be any thicker than the belt-buckle (the silver circular part).

And I checked the instruction and they make it seem like it's a spot to store it. Whether or not it actually clears the ground, I don't know.

Have you tried flipping the gun over to see if it makes a difference?

3. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    It could only work one way bc/ of the peg on the bottom of the gun... it has to go with the peg pointing up into the waist cavity... there's no mention of storing it in the Encore instructions...

4. Codimus Prime

I didn't figure it would work the other way, but you never know. Maybe it's something they phased out in the Encore.

5. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    I dunno... if the gun was slightly thinner, it would work... anyone got a G1 fig they can confirm this on?

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was wondering the same thing myself.

I have a question too. I noticed Ironhide has two holes in the roof where the lights on Ratchet go. Is this because they used an old Ratchet mold, or did the original G1 Ironhide have these holes too?

7. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    IH/Ratchet use the same mold (always have), so they holes are in there for Ratchet's lights. And yes, they have always been there (they were covered with a sticker on the G1 release, but it's painted on the Encore).

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Regarding the gun... yes. The post on the gun fits into the round hole in the 'belt' of the robot, which is in the middle of the underside in vehicle mode. And there's enough clearance for them to run, too.

As a bonus, I found years ago that you can also stash the connector peg for the gun (which you need to attach it to the 'base') and a missile in vehicle mode. If you open up the back 'door', you can fit one in above each of the tracks. Close up the 'door', fit it back on the robot, and you're away.

I must admit, I never noticed the lightbar holes on Ironhide, but then the sticker's still intact on him, and I wouldn't have noticed such things when I was eight and applying them.

9. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    Awesome... sadly, the gun doesn't clear on the Encore toy... must be some slight differences in the toolings, bc/ it's not by much.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, it's reasonably close on the G1, too. He's not gonna be traversing any rough terrain without rupturing something, but he should be fine over flat surfaces.

11. Codimus Prime

Well I'm glad there has been some closure on this. Also thats cool fact about the lights for ratchet and a sticker for ironhide. Always wondered why there was a sticker there.. sunroof I guess would be cool on a van :) 

12. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    Sounds like I'll have to pick up a G1 IH at some point so I can check-out how different the toolings are compared to the Encore.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tried the gun under my ratchet...was scraping the table top, so it isn't something i will suggest.
    i like mine in the box better anyway.

14. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    I have an original 1980's Ironhide, the gun scraps along the ground. It is too tall to have under Ironhide.

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Odd. I've got my G1 Ratchet in front of me now, and the gun doesn't scrape. There's hardly any ground clearance, sort of a fraction of a millimetre, but it'll roll fine on a flat surface.