G1 DVD cartoon series question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Greenspan, May 24, 2006.

1. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    I just recently got Rhino G1 DVD box set Season 1. Yeah I'm late in the game :) 

Now I don't mind the video quality, its just like I remember when I was young. However I noticed some weird things about the sound. More specifically sound fx.

Is it just me or does blaster sound fx sound weird as if they were added ? Also the intro theme seems to switch from "can sound" to normal sound ?

I know this must've been addressed a thousand times but any help would be appreciated.

And are all the Rhino box set have these sound problems ? If so is there any other choice ?

Thanks

Greenspan

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

They definitely added sound effects to the episodes, as well as to the bumpers and intro.

3. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    But why ? They feel so out of place its more than annoying.

Has Rhino ever explained why they added sound fx ?

And is there another comp[any putting out G1 cartoon series on DVD that are authentic with no added sound fx ?

Thanks

Greenspan

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a bonus disc on one of the sets (can't rememeber which one) that a long feature on the remastering process. I watched a little of it, but I don't remember anything with the sound.

5. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think seasons 2 and 3 have the option of having either the new sound effects or the old sound effects.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I think they did a good job with the fx. I watched the entire series and never noticed anything out of place. Had it not been for other mentioning it on the boards, I'd still not know about it. Heck, I can watch an ep right now and still not be able to pick out the enhancments. All seems original to me. *shrug*

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've never noticed it, but I think the later sets released in the UK didn't have the added effects, and our season 3 set has the alternate ending to Dark Awakening (the non-dubbed one that doesn't lead into RoOP).
    That said, the later sets can turn off the SFX anyway so you're not really gaining that much by going the extra mile to import.

8. orionprime

orionprime <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=97262

This is the complete series and movie. Good quality and under $50 shipped.

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Hey there. I initially signed onto this site to ask that same question. I wanted to know whether the Rhino DVD box set was the best collection or if there were other better versions.

You're right, the sound is altered and the picture is altered too sometimes. I think in one instance Ironhide either transforms backwards and in another Starscreams colors are mixed up for the other seekers.

Here is a good webpage that compares the UK and Rhino versions:

http://kenshiroh.tripod.com/dvd/transformers_s1/

Frankly, from what I could read on the thread the other poster posted, I'd go with that Chinese copy. It has better special features, no messed up sound, and no messed up video. Its the plain TV version without any digital remastering, I think.

After reading the rest of that article, I decided to purchase that set also. I'll let you know what I think of the set.

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The added noises, by all appearances, were added in to create a 5.1 audio sound mix, and were *supposed* to be limited to the 5.1 audio track. On one disc's worth of episodes in Season 1, the noises made it onto the 2.0 tracks as well. Season 2, Part 1almost got it right, with only four episodes having altered 2.0 tracks. Unfortunately, the 2.0 tracks for ALL the episodes on Season 2 Part 2 and the Season 3-4 sets had the extra noises (but Season 3-4 had the added extra of an "original broadcast audio" option that was completely unaltered). The UK sets were a bit different - the Season 2, Part 1 set was the same, whereas Season 2, Part 2 had only one affected episode, and Season 3-4 had totally clean 2.0 tracks. On the other than, ALL of Season 1's episode had them, as did the "Reconstructed" release of the movie.

Personally speaking, it is utterly and totally beyond me how anyone can listen to the altered tracks and NOT hear the extra noises. They are very clearly sharper and LOUDER than the existing audio, often drowning out the original soundtrack, and *none of them exist in the original sound library of the freaking show.* They're entirely new sounds that stand out because of that, and they feel so preposterously out of place and overused.

What makes the matter worse, without mincing words, is that we have been *lied* to regarding it. Magno Sound, the studio responsible for the new mix, have claimed more than once that the sounds were always in the episodes, and that we could simply "never hear them before" because of the limitations of 80's equipment. Bull. Poopies.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The things I notice most is the cannon sounds during the commercial break transformation scenes.

When Jazz turns into a robot for example, and you hear some bangs that dont even fit. Same thing with the Lazerbeak clip

Just does'nt sound natural anymore. The new sounds werent mixed in well at all.

Or when Prime calls Scourge "Scmourge".
    That was probably already like that though.

12. Jokers Wylde

Jokers Wylde Member

On the UK release, I've noticed that you can get most of the annoying new sounds by not selecting 5.1 in the audio setup, although a few times its forgotten this setting by the time the next episode starts playing.