Minor/Repaint: G1 Dreadwind partial repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by knoted, May 19, 2011.

1. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    This is a partial repaint of an actual G1 Dreadwind. Because...

- I never liked the turquoise colour.
    - The dark grey tail bothered me.
    - The blunt hands were just that ; blunt.
    - The robot head antenna ears blended in too much with the backpanel.

So, I painted all turquoise parts to powder blue ( First primer, then painted in lightblue, then dry-brushed over with white ) and I tried to match
    the tail of the jet to the offwhite of the main jet fuselage. I wanted to go for the Marvel comicbook colours :

[​IMG]

Then I gave Dreadwind new hands which are a lot more expressive.
    I applied some new reprolabels : I had to cut out the turquoise parts though,
    because it wouldn't go well together with the powder blue. The canopy was painted pearl white since the translucent turquoise didn't go well with
    the powder blue either.
    The parts which were painted gunmetal are : the hands, the thrust nozzle, the wingmounted missiles and the robothead antenna's.

I think the old & the new go along pretty nicely, imo...

Plse note the triangular silver/metallic stickers on his biceps : I put 'em there that way to complement and emphasize the delta shape of his torso.
    It's pretty subtle since the metallic sticker surface often blends in with the offwhite plastic from time to time, depending on the lightsource.

Kudos to Reprolabels once more, for making this one shine again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice. Although I'm not sure the hands really match the G1 look of him..needs something less angular there.

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Thanks !

About the handmolds ( from a '07 movie Wreckage ) ...hmmm they're slightly angular...then again...I wanted hands which evoke true 'dread' or 'dreadful' in an expressive way and if you look at the Marvel comic...it's not too far off eh ?

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I think the new hands suit him very well, and the fact his forearms & shoulder protrusions are rounded anyway only add to the aura you were going for. In other words, it's not like Dreadwind was a complete block'former or anything, so they don't look out of place for me at all.

Along with that, your colours are pretty amazing on this. Maybe that's got something to do with the fact that I've always preferred cool/frosted colours like this in general, but it just seems to work really well. I also liked how you were pretty minimal with it, as to not distract us from the original scheme & whatnot.

+rep

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I like it a lot.