G1 Dinobot Reissues?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jun 17, 2011.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    There are rumors of a possible reissue of the G1 Dinobots.

Can someone please tell me how this is possible because I thought that the dinobot molds were some of the many that were lost over the years?

Also, I thought the Constructicon molds were lost in the same manner and here we have knockoffs and an encore reissue as well.

Also, can someone please tell me exactly which molds are rumored to be "lost" and how they ended up this way?

THANKS!!

2. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Wheeljack, Mirage and Sunstreaker were classed as lost. I'm sure there are other threads on here detailing most of them.

3. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Now I'm want some Dinobots to go with their rivals,and maybe color Swoop's crest blue.

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Molds are big, heavy, fragile. As Takara and Hasbro moved from one factory to another, to meet demand, or cut costs, some molds were simply abandoned. This was long before the Internet, long before they realised there was at least some demand for them to relaunch original TFs every now and then.

Other molds just wear out.

There's been a back and forth over the Dinobots since reissues started over ten years ago.

Some say Takara dont want to do them becasue the Dinobots aren't that popular in Japan.

Some say the molds for Swoop and Sludge were either missing or beyond use as early as the planning stages of G2.

The means by which they choose to recast molds doesn't have any apparent logic to it..... Prime/Convoy is on it's umpteenth recast of the G2 mold at this point.

But they also at least partially recast Hound. Hound isn't THAT popular(?)

It's also highly likely that Encore Devastator will be at least partially recast.

The answer really however is that i think none of us actually know the answer.

5. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info to all of the above.

I thought I read on these boards at one point that there was a fire at one of the factories and some of the molds were destroyed forever? or did I imagine this?

6. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    weren't there some weird licensing issues involved with the dinobots and shockwave molds also? thought I remember hearing about those some time ago. remember energon & alternators shockwave had to be named shockblast for something stupid revolving around this too but I can't remember.

7. wildfly

News Credits:
    I don't specifically remember a fire being cited as a reason, but it's a very distinct possibility.

But even as late as 1989, 90, the molds for Wheeljack, Sunstreaker and Sludge were available and usable.

Dinobots are original Takara designs,

Shockwave was licensed from a Korean company, ToyBox.

ToyBox still exist, and apparently showed Astro Magnum, the toy from which SW originated, at an event several years back.

Naming: Hasbro simply didn't have the rights to the name Shockwave at the time.

8. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    The fact that ToyBox still exists and may still have the rights to the original Shockwave design may be the reason why we haven't seen a reissue of G1 Shockwave.

Or have we?

9. wildfly

News Credits:
    Possibly, although given the stop start repeat nature of Takara's reissue activity, it wouldn't surprise me if they never even seriously considered Shockwave

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Thing is nobody really knows as miscreant said. and as I pointed out in almost all reissues thread but ppl dont seem to listen is that:

As all companies even TT needs to make money. If the section regarding reissues or whatever dont see that they can turn a reissue into a nice big + , the toy will probbaly not be reissued.

Just because some fans wants a toy on a fan site or the toy its rare ( see Stepper incident) does not mean it will sell very well.

There is today 2 characters that we know they have the molds to that would sell and IMO most of the boards will agree with me. The characters are THRUST and RAMJET.

The 6 seeker squadron is not complete without these 2. The other 4 are easaly obtained.

So TT...Just give ous Ramjet and Thrust in a nice two pack as you did Skywarp and Thundercracker.

11. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, now that Devastator is in the market, bring on the Dinobots!
    What I don't get is, why hasn't TTomy release FMax? I'm sure majority of the transfans would love a new mint and affordable FMax. Certainly, the mold is still fresh with the release of BraveMax. My question is why?

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Ill answer with this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ppl already complain that dev is 130..what do you think max will be .. ?

13. wildfly

News Credits:

Because........

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As was mentioned previously, Takara is a business and wants to make a profit...and the potential cost of rereleasing Fortress Maximus, and the price needed to sell it at to make a profit off of it, may be something they view as too much to be worth attempting at this point. Predaking started selling, by the time it hit the states, at what, $180 or so? Devastator's in the early $100s from online retailers...a Fortress Maximus reissue would be well over $200. They can reissue other things that fans may have interest in with a much smaller asking price.

However, as others have stated, that's just a guess since we don't know for sure. For all we know news of a Fortress Maximus reissue could randomly pop up and surprise the hell out of all of us one day.

15. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whatever that price may be, it still beats the price over the original any day which usually goes over a grant.

16. wildfly

News Credits:
    I love it when people come up with a conclusion and then work backwards in an attempt to justify it.

BTW: Work harder.

17. Cracka J

News Credits:
    Not defending reminator because I agree with the majority of points being made against larger price range re-issues, but you gotta think the large portion of people buying the encore/re-issue line ARE actually collectors.

Would collectors spend $300 for a fort max encore if one was to be produced? Thats a pretty easy question imo.

18. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

19. wildfly

News Credits:
    Not too many people other than collectors/enthusiasts would pay that for a 20 odd year old toy anyway.

Now if anybody can offer evidence of how many would sell, please speak up.

Note: 'Lots' 'Loads' and 'Many' are not numbers.

20. Cracka J

News Credits:
    Yeah, the only way they'd get the numbers is by actually going into a production run. Since the risk/reward is rather large for something on that scale, it's pretty easy to see why the dive hasn't been made yet.