Customs: G1 Diecast touch up oaint help needed

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by adamthered, Nov 13, 2006.

1. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Hi,

I have a few old figures that are going to need some spot touch up on their diecast:

Sunstreaker
    Swoop
    Ironhide

I was wondering if there was a certain type of paint to us for this and if there is a particular name for the colors. I'm only familiar with Citadel paints from the local hobby store so didn't know if those would work or not and important things like if Ironhide is "Blood Red" or "Wound Red" lol.

Thanks!
    Adam

2. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

Right, fixing paint chips can be either very easy, or damn difficult, depending on your paint collection. The best thing to do is to get an extensive collection of yellows and blend like there's no tomorrow until you have a match for Sunstreaker. How close you want to get to the original colour will depend on how big the chip is. It's pretty damn sure you're not going to find a colour match straight out of a bottle.

Most internet sources suggest enamel paints for diecast, and I agree. You'll want to go over the chipped area completely and remove any very loose paint, there's no point painting over a new chip in the making. Don't over do this, or you may as well just remove all the paint entirely.

Another hint that I stole from the internet was to overfill the chip with paint. Then use the absolute finest grit wet sandpaper you can find to make it all level.

Repairing geewunners is great fun, but it can be time and resource consuming, good luck.