G1 Devastator upgrade kits - which one to get...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Razorclaw, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I'm back after quite some time away, and I'm interested in getting a G1 Devastator upgrade kit.

I have looked again at the XTransbots kit and the Junkion Blacksmith kit, but I still can't decide between them. I prefer the looks of XTransbots, but I'm put off with the bad quality.

Have the XTransbots fixed the issues with the new "silver" version?

Suggestions anyone?

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not going to be of much use, but as a rule of thumb, I would avoid XTransbot products. I have not seen any reviews for the supposedly improved version.

I really like the green thighs and extra head, so the Junkion Blacksmith set is a no-brainer for me.

3. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Junkion Blacksmith.

XTransbots is essentially a CrazyDevy remold. The head, main forearm and hands are identical. The waist on my XTransbots is unable to hold the weight of G1 Devy. The ratchets are not working like they should. It might just be mine.

In contrast, I had no problems with the Junkion Blacksmith set. Plus I think the JB set has the better designed waist and thighs, and you get two heads with it: one toon based the other more toy based. If there's a flaw with the JB set, it's that you don't have individual fingers, however I would not exactly call that a plus for either the XTransbots or Crazy Devy sets because they so easily fall out of their sockets.

4. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Really? I donno about them being a remould, but I certainly remember hearing that the Xtransbots set is terrible in comparison to Crazydevy's. I have Crazydevy's and it's fantastic. My only gripe is with the hands, the individual fingers are not held together and can fall off when posing them.

5. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    I have the x transbots one he fits in awesome with my MasterPiece shelf, and looks really really good, but the quality is quite iffy, although i do feel he's worth $50. Everything is really finicky, but my biggest complaints are the fingers, they generally fall off with the slightest adjustment, but i have heard that the Crazy Devy fingers have the exact same problem.
    Although i do not have the JB version, i would definately bet money that the quality of the material is way better, but im not crazy about the look. I appreciate that it is totally TOON accurate, which is awesome, but that look doesn't fit in with my collection.

As a conclusion, its really about looks. If you fiddle around with your toys a lot, i think xtransbot will really frustrate you. But as a display piece it looks great!

Attached Files:

6. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    ^ nice display. I have to admit, it does actually look spot on to Crazy devy's set.

7. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Junkion Blacksmith. The QC is spot on and everything fits together well and is relatively rock solid (at least, without any parts falling off at the slightest touch). Granted it may not look as cool as the other sets, but playability is a big factor and JB just has a nice balance of aesthetics and durability. Also affordability; JB is lower in price (but not in quality). You also get two heads (bald and the other normal), so there's also that.

8. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I absolutely love my X-Transbots upgrade on my G1 Devastator. The only issue I have is the fingers have a tendency to fall off, but other than that, it fits perfectly and looks superb.

9. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Junkion Blacksmith. Period.
    It even works on most KO Devastators.
    Top notch quality and looks awesome.

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

For people that own X-Transbots kit, how does it hold up after "fixing" it up, with applying nail polish or super glue to tighten holes and such? Anyone did such things to theirs?

I wouldn't mind working on the X-Transbots kit, if I can actualy make it better and tighter.

11. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer CrazyDevy's upgrade first, if only because it's the only one that retains the original hip guns.

XTransbots is my second choice. Robot Kingdom sent me replacement hands from the silver set, and it's worked marvelously. Granted, it's still not a piece to be handled roughly, but as a display piece, it really looks fantastic next to the Junkion Blacksmith version. The chestpiece is odd, so I use the original's.

The JB one makes Devastator too stubby. Someone wrote earlier that it makes him look like he has his pants all the way up, and I have to agree.

12. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only because of the way JB did the hip joints; rather than giving us a crotch-piece, the legs go all the way up and connect to the hip via a T; I'd say it's a decent compromise for more stability. I personally don't like the way the XT version's waist is off-colored from the rest of the combined figure (granted the original G1 has a slightly off-colored waist piece too).

13. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The only thing genuinely new on the Xtransbots set is the elbow attachments(which allow inward/outward articulation) and the waist/thigh piece. Every thing else is identical to the CrazyDevy pieces and the CrazyDevy pieces are definitely of higher quality.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Crazy Devy looks the best by far. Go with Junkion Blacksmith if money is an issue.

15. Optimus Bruce

Optimus Bruce Human Germ

I bought both the XT and JB add ons and use a mixture of both, as looking at them in pics before hand both had +/- points to them, plus the price next to the CD stuff made them an easier sell.

From the XT set I use the thighs, waist plate, forearms/hands and mixing barrel. Yes the fingers were loose and yes some we're pre detached when received, but a dab of clear nail polish sorted that without further issue.

From the JB set I use the chest plate and head with the visor (2 heads come with this one). I pretty much only bought the set for this head and it is fantastic. The XT head has a light up eyes gimmick but for me the JB head is the best representation we've seen of Devastator from the toon/movie.

So a mixture of both gave me my personal perfect Devy, but if you can only afford one I'd say go for the XT set purely as I've used more of the individual parts from that set.

There are a few pics in the my collection thread in my sig at post 30. Let me know if you'd like any more taking and I'll see what I can do.

16. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Crazy Devy has the best quality but you pay way more for it.

17. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the X-Transbots, and considering the price, I like it. I don't play around with the G1 Devy and just mainly have it on display.

18. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

who sells the JB kits in the US? the Ebay seller is from China as well

19. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I have the JB kit. It's pretty sturdy. The combined form tends to be back heavy, but that seems to be the issue no matter which kit you get (Crazy Devy, XT or JB). Don't have the other two to compare to. But overall it's a great kit, and works well for playability and display.

EDIT: I'll also note that I painted his green upper legs in silver using Tamiya silver leaf spray paint. (Mica silver works as well) This improves his look about ten times, and you just need to unscrew the parts and spray them separately. This combined with its overall look and durability makes this a great set.

20. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

What do u do when it's back heavy? Bend his legs like a squat to prevent falling?
    I'll probably pick up a JB kit in aug