G1 Devastator head gun variant?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sammael, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A friend brought me his G1 Devastator as a gift tonight - he said that it was probably safer in my possession since he was considering scrapping him into parts for Warhammer 40k terrain (perish the thought). He is in pretty good shape, but one thing differs from the other 2 Devastators I already own - his head gun is chromed, whereas the other two I have are green. I haven't checked the trademarks, but he doesn't look like a KO. Any ideas?

2. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Could be a custom job. There's a company that specializes in that. I got them to rechrome my G1 Octane.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Look for trademarks. Just looks alone can't be a sure sign of telling if a G1 toy is an original or not. Back in '80s-early '90s there were alot of bootlegs being sold that were esentialy the same quality as original TF figures.

For instance - I had an original G1 Sandstorm that I sold to a fan in Sweden. Why did I sell him? Because a friend gave me his Sandstorm that I thought was an original figure. Cue a few months later, when I noticed his trade markings, which were nothing else but "Made in Taiwan". Both figures where identical in quality. The only way I could tell them apart was that my Sandstorm had legs that were looser.

4. Sammael

News Credits:
    There's no way that he had it chromed. He is not a collector and the toys were basically sitting in the closet in his mom's apartment since the time he stopped playing with them (bask in the 90s). Besides, the chrome is showing signs of wear, particularly on the peg where it plugs into the head, and the plastic color underneath is either black or dark purple.

Hook's trademarks are located under the crane and read:

I am really perplexed. I searched all over known variant sites and can't find anything. Here are some photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let's see:
    My idea is: The toy looks quite legitimate. Also, since your friend does WH40K, he paints a lot of figures. Maybe he painted the gun for practising purposes, or just because he thought it would look cool.
    In the pictures you have posted, it doesn't look chromed, but painted in silver.
    Perhaps he recalls having painted it?

6. Sammael

News Credits:
    That does sound like a likely explanation, and I'll certainly ask him. However, there are a few reasons why it's probably not the case:

1. Consistency: hand-painted items rarely look this consistent; the layer of paint/chrome is absolutely identical on the entire gun

2. Wear: this cannot be seen from the photos, but the gun shows signs of paint wear that are identical to paint wear on my toys from that period; he only started painting WH40k a couple of years ago, so the overall look would be different

3. The hollow section is fully painted on the inside (this lead me to believe it was chromed, since I don't see how else the hollow could end up fully painted, with no blemishes); number "2" is clearly visible in the hollow section

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Maybe he used spray paints or an airbrush to paint the gun?

8. Sammael

News Credits:
    Rise, my unthread minion!

I didn't want to push this further since I didn't have conclusive proof that the gun had not been painted (my friend told me that he hadn't done it, but I didn't think that was enough) but now - behold! There is a new auction for loose Devastator/Constructicons here on a local Serbian auction site: Transformers - Devastator 5/6 (22343626) - Limundo.com

There are two weird things about that figure:

1. The silver head gun (apparently green that has been vacuum metalized, judging from the pics)

2. The purple drill (I have never seen one).

Looking at the photos, those are the exact same IGA Constructicons that were available in Serbia in the early 90s. Any ideas?

9. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Some IGA (Mexican) Hooks came with that gun in chrome.

Like a lot of European countries, mine had a flood of Mexican TFs in the late 80s.

Most of the Hooks i saw had a standard green gun, but some had the chrome.

I absolutely definitely saw a few with a Chrome gun, because i was fairly surprised to see the variant at at the time,
    and remember it almost like it was last week.

10. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Looks like an IGA variant.