G1 Devastator Box - Original vs Reproduction

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by e3nine, Aug 4, 2007.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Hello to all,

I previously made a series of images depicting the differences between a real and repro'ed G1 Prime & also with Mirage. Here we go again with Devastator.

Before I start ...
    All participation is welcomed. If I missed anything please let me know. These differences are ones I found just by combing over the pictures.

This "guide" (if you can even call it that) is a work in progress based off of the only clear repro'ed image we have.

Credit to Spencer and the folks at Agesthreeandup.com for the repro'ed Devastator image.

Credit to TFW2005 member BillyLove79 for the original Devastator picture.

Keep all ethical "knockoff" discussion out of this thread. This is for educational purposes only. NO DEBATES PLEASE.

Again, the purpose to this is to educate eBayers. There are AWFUL sellers out there who claim these pieces as being real.

I attempted to rank these in order of importance. Position 1 is the "dead giveaway". If you see this, you know it's not legit. Position 5 is a difference, but this could vary from image to image. Without something high-res, you'd probably never see it .

There are some color differences, but those have to be ignored. Many variables with originals (fading, picture lighting, etc) make color matching against repro's inconclusive.

1. Missing grey borders

[​IMG]
    You can clearly see that series of grey borders are missing.

2. Over saturated yellow splatter
    [​IMG]
    The splatter keeps going. Towards the foot (Scrapper) it looks well contained. Look near the crotch and you'll see the discoloring continue to the booty.

3. Print blotch
    [​IMG]
    There's some kind of print issue where the "n" in Decepticon runs into the otter graphic.

4. Uneven numbering borders
    [​IMG]
    On the original, the black box which contains the figure's individual number is evenly spaced within a long yellow rectangle. On the repro, this spacing seems to be consistent for some, but not all. Most noticeable are figures 2 and 5.

5. Fade to black
    [​IMG]
    The fade to black on the reproduction seems to be a more gradual. The most noticeable spot is right over Scavenger's shoulder.

2. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

sweet thanks again, these threads are golden!

This Devi one's a bit tough, the grey borders/no grey borders thing is the only clearcut one without having to look really close.

3. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    This one was BRUTAL. I was digging hard to find just about anything.

4. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    It's funny, after reading your post and going on ebay every single one of the boxes I've seen are legit. Weird.

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Very nice work e3nine.

6. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The purple on each of them looks to be a different shade... or maybe Im just tired. Or maybe thats just the way the camera makes it look...

7. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    According to Spencer, this one is on the verge of being released. It's not quite out there yet.

8. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Are these KO's matching the original's quality so bad that we need to look for details in the boxes to know they are KOs?

9. iamratchet

iamratchet Medic

Ebay:
    You saved me a headache again!

10. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice comparison between the G1 Devastator Box Original vs Reproduction,give us option to choose