G1 Devastator - a lemon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by haventgrownup, Dec 5, 2011.

1. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

I cancelled my pre-order on the Encore Devastator recently. I'm considering getting one of the high-quality knockoffs.

Tonight, while reorganizing my series 2/1985 collection, I thought I'd review my Devastator's condition. The individual figures all seem to be C-9 or C-9.5, with a loose joint or two each. I also thought I should combine them, and then finally see what this bad boy looks like with all of the Crazy Devy parts I bought put on him.

Well, I was quite disheartened and disappointed. Combined he's an unbalanced, floppy mess, just a breeze away from tumbling forward. I put most of the Crazy Devy "Power Parts" on. A little better, but most of the pieces are wasted - putting the rotating mid-torso connector just makes him break in half easy. The heavy gun causes the arm to fall. The articulated hands can't grip tight enough to keep the heavy gun in. The Shoulder piece doesn't add articulation - it just moves the arm to a different position/angle, etc.

So, I really don't know what to do. The one comparison review I saw of the reissue didn't address the fact that the combiner is a jittery jumbled mess, and didn't specifically say which joints/moving parts were tighter. In addition, the two reviews I've seen both say that the quality is quite shoddy. Apparently, if I get the high-quality knockoff, some of the CDMW pieces won't work/fit.

Are all G1 Devastators incredibly delicate, ready to tumble or come apart or have Long Haul's legs fold down every time Devi is touched?
    I really don't know which way to jump on this. I'd like to have a nice looking Constructicons set which looks good in all modes and looks as close to the original as is possible.

2. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I remember having all kinds of grief with my G2 devy. I don't think this is anything new.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

No. My G1 Devastator is made up of great conditioned bots and he stays together just fine. I can pick him up and move him to other shelves without any worries.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    If you have that problem with him in combined mode then you bots are not C9 to C9,5

A nice minty devastator combined stand nice and fit and does not fall, lean. or is sloppy

5. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Both this:
    and this:
    My original G1 Devastator is still tight as anything: No floppy parts or ill-fitting parts in combiner mode, and moving him is no problem at all. He just looks great and impressive. Perhaps the only minor problem with mine is his wrists turn a bit too easily due to the weak springs in the launchers. I'm gonna have to agree that if they don't hold well together in combined mode, then your combiner components are not C9 - C9,5.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wouldn't consider ANYTHING with a loose joint C9-C9.5. Doesn't matter if it was made this month or 26 years ago.

7. supermegatronwd

supermegatronwd Well-Known Member

the knock offs are far worse than the originals

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Please don't take this personally, as you are one of many people who do this. But never rank your figures. The AFA is the group that ranks figures. If a figure is some out of the package products don't get a 9.5.

From the sounds of it, your figure is a 7.5-8.0 the highest. Do yourself a favor and never put your rankings in a sales thread. This will only piss off your buyers long run if you ever sell anything.

As for Devy. I have more problems with the Crazy Devy parts then I do with Devastator himself. So you have a lose floppy Devy. The figure itself is not like that.

I happen to have 2 Dev's. One mint G1, the other a KO. The KO is just as good as the orginal. But it needs to be the High End KO ones that sell between $75-$100. The Big Lots ones are no where as good.

Just so you know, you will need to get new forearms if you did not buy the Crazy Devy forearms for KO. The KO is slightly bigger then the original. So they will not fit.

9. haventgrownup

First, thank you for input. I appreciate that.

Secondly, I don't use AFA guidelines. I'm not even going to go into that area. BUT, I do grade very harshly. At the same time, I want to be honest, so if others tell me I need to adjust I will.

(Another) BUT, the figures would otherwise be C-10/Mint. No smell, no discoloration, no dirt, every sticker perfect, no scratches, perfect chrome, perfect paint. So, I think with that and ~10 loose joints (to varying degrees), the figures could be considered C-9. Not true?

At any rate, I was really hoping that someone or a few here that have an original, the HQ KO, the Encore set, and the CD sets could help as I don't have much time right now to do full research. I know that narrows the field substantially, but having one question answered, that brings me to the second question I have: What to do next (and soon) to get a G1(esque) Devy off of my search list....?

The Encore set has flaws (black window on Hook, paler color(s), sticker issues, altered connections). The HQ KO has flaws (can't think of them right now). Some of my CDMW sets aren't going to work with each. I'm not going to go through eBay/the market to find a vintage one in C-10 shape.

So, anyone noticed ANY looseness on the Encore? The HQ china KO?

What is different on the Encore reissue that necessitates new pelvis and thighs for the CD parts? Is this something I alter slightly from the one I already have?

Any (constructive) input and help is welcome.

Thanks.

10. haventgrownup

...and off on a tangent, why can't a figure be C-10 if the box is opened? I mean, if the figure is in the original factory-issued shape, what's the difference?

11. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    There is no looseness on the ko or my original. The original is like 25+ years old now. So it all depends on the amount of usage, but both of mine are fine.

I would recommend high end ko.

12. haventgrownup

Thanks, Alucard.

13. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because quite frankly, NOTHING is normally ever C10. Look at all the AFA grades for Transformers and see how many AFA 100's there are. Hell, look at any sealed figure's grade. The figure inside, which is brand new untouched and should in theory be perfect, normally never get a perfect grade. Anyone can always find a slight flaw.