G1 designs for the movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Was there some debate I missed because this thread seems out of the blue and thus unjustified.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    THANK you!

Seriously- I was thinking of this last night: how many times have we seen something speculative completely shot down for no reason? For example: imagine if we said how we would like the '86 TF:TM re-animated to look like War for Cybertron... how long would it take for some armchair expert know-it-all to come in and explain why it can't and will never be done?

Then of course prompts the defensive then offensive reactions... when all that has to be said is "hey, shut up and let us daydream!"

3. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    It could have been done. They already had Alternators and Classics, so there were viable models available. That said, I'm glad they went the way they did, because it would have made the Bay franchise even woorse to watch them sully the G1 verse.

4. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I keep hearing how these transformations have to be realistic... It's a movie about robots from another planet. If you can suspend your belief that a car can transform, why can't slight mass shifting work?

You know that if you stretched out a normal persons intestines, it's around ten times the length of their body? So what can't robots compress material to form their innards in robot mode?

The face palming I did while reading these gave me a headache. When people talk like this, it's funny... It's like they don't even realize they are acting JUST LIKE the people they are complaining about.

I agree. With proper shading and appropriate story telling, it's perfectly believable. Yet people can suspend their belief to believe a real person like Sam would survive everything, including facing a TF one on one, nailing a shot to the eye in one shot? It's like me versus a spider, the spider might bite me, but I'm going to beat the FUCK out of the spider, either by stepping on him or other methods.

A real jet doesn't transform into a robot. How can you apply real world physics to fiction? That's like saying a "real twigs can't conduct electrical currents" when watching Harry Power.

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I find it strange that almost all of the fandom scorn the movie designs but when shows like Animated and Prime show up with some characters that are VERY different from G1 like TFP Arcee,TFP Breakdown,TFA Prowl,etc with different designs they are almost off the hook. I understand that it has to do with prefernece but I'm having a feeling that the movieverse is starting to become the wipping post in terms of asthetic.

6. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    ^ I think it's because so many of the Cons designs are unimaginative. Megatron looks a mess compared to previous incarnations... as does Starscream. Shockwave and Soundwave were pretty well accepted because of their resemblance to their previous incarnations.

Megatron and Starscream are pretty much unrecognizable. Most of the Cons, aside from Barricade, look generic and bug like, while the Autobots are alot more humanized.

When they did that, it alienated the parts of the fanbase (like myself) who wanted to see their favorites on screen. I loved the updates on Soundwave and Shockwave, as well as Long Haul, and it's annoying that they went so far off base with the two main Cons, as well as only giving them two badass alt modes (f22 and Mercedes SLS).

Especially Starscream... the tats gave them a chance to incorporate his colors (red and blue), as well as them blowing the head design... Megatron at least got a nice design in movie 3, but the head is still terrible.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This.

Megatron (Atleast until DOTM) and Starscream's designs have never been my favs at all. To me it feels like they slapped the name on and not the charecter themselves.

Hell they did do a G1 esque head Starscream for the G1 Target Exclusive, Thundercracker and Skywarp repaints, now why couldn't they given Starscream that headscuplt?

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the fandom is open to change it's just that all change isn't good change and all change will not appeal to all fans.

Cartoons also have the advantage of having time to win people over. Some people might not have liked the design for Soundwave for Transformers Prime but as he got to do cool things and develop as a character people started to accept the new look better.

With the robots not having the time to develop in the movies it's harder to win people over if a fight scene didn't do it for them.

The cartoons might have an advantage of being more fan friendly. If you are nice to people long enough and you can pull a few writing tricks or other production tricks to make people feel important then they have a more forgiving view of the changes your team made.

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well that's an understandable reason! I mean the one advantage the shows will always have it's because it has more time to really develop itself. Whilethe movies on the other hand have less time in doing so. Add to the fact that the audince for the films are also non fans to boot.

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Aww, I always catch these little gold nuggets so late :( 

Either way, all new and original content not expected or received.
    Moving along.

However on the way out I will say, even as a G1 fan myself as I have said in fifteen other threads on this subject the movie designs did not need to be G1, they still could have been good basically as is with some solid armor instead of spaghetti guts, true "dorito mcchickenlegs" did need to die in a fire, but even the random Bayacons could have looked better with just a bit of effort on their part.

Now don't get me wrong, I am saying they all needed to be armored bricks, just more consistent outer shells would have worked wonders. :) 

11. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

Agree i think they could work the IDW designs into the film, but i like when everyone is pleased with a conuity and not angry over it so i believe bay did expectanioly well for this family. That being said, it needed a ton of work so that it is done perfectally be accepted to the fandom, and with all this people talking about this design athetics we need a person who wouldd guide this designs into a perfect film family.

12. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really like the Movieverse aesthetic. I would hate for any other type of design to be used. For me, the current designs look really realistic, and I really like that!

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    G1 is one thing, movie is another...leave it be.

14. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    Very well put imo.

15. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    You can't agree that the designs are unimaginative when the fanbase complains endlessly because of what they've done such as Starscream being broad, gorilla-like, bird-like or Demonlisher and the Arcees being legless or Sideswipe having wheels for feet. That is as a matter of fact being imaginative.

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:

Thanks. I hate how many armchair experts there are in this frigging hobby. So many people here make it hard for me to enjoy coming here without reading their inane posts. Just let us have fun!

as for the original post... we can't all agree. there are some opinions here that i find absolutely stupid. But everyone is free to have them. For you to come in and just tell people to shut up, that they're stupid for feeling a certain way - you must certainly be fun to have arguments... ucch.