G1 designs for the movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Dec 31, 2011.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I have had enough with people complaining about how the original G1 designs weren't used in the movies. In truth, the same people who are angry about Bumblebee being a Camaro instead of a Volkswagen Beetle must be stupid and pay attention to certain things, like for example, Volkswagen not wanting their cars associated with Transformers! Do people not get it when these things happen for a reason? I don't mind that BB was a Camaro and in truth, it made him more popular then ever. If they used the original designs of the G1 TFs, I would have walked right out of the theater. Anyone who can't except change should just lock themselves into a room and crowd around a screen where they can watch episodes of the original series all day long.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I clicked on this thread with the hopes of engaging in a civil debate over ways in which the G1 designs could successfully be implemented into a live action movie, but this was before I tripped over your soap box.

3. jazz_123

jazz_123 Banned

This thread well end well....

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Who's to say we can't? Soundwave, initiate thread-jack!

I think that a lot of the elements of G1's iconic characters WERE implemented well in a lot of cases. The door-wings, usually associated with the Datsun trio, made their way into the design of Bumblebee, and I think they worked well on him, and added to his "insectile" look (which was, IIRC, toned down significantly from an earlier design model). Prime looks very faithful to what people expect, given the only real point of protest was his flames.

Megatron's "armcannon" was there in some form in two of his three main bodies, and I guess you could have accentuated it more by making it an external part jutting off his arm as we're used to in G1 and other incarnations, but I think the integrated form fit more easily into how the Movieverse approached weaponry. Other things that could have worked, I think, would have been maybe a shoulder-mounted cannon, or maybe a back-mounted one that resembles his barrel in the P-38 mode, and then swings up and unfolds into a huge stationary artillery piece.

I would have preferred Starscream's "wing-cape" back to his dorito shape, and while I don't have anything in particular against the movie design, I always thought that part of the G1 design visually drove home his egotistical, "regal" personality. I figured with the shape of the F22, it would be easy to keep that, and maybe have the wings telescope inwards. I figured Starscream's design, given his personality and aerial nature, would have been a lot more lithe than he ended up being, but I can't say I was disappointed.

The toys, however, contain some great examples of re-imagining characters into the movieverse and keeping them recognizable, such as Brawn and Lockdown (which, granted, already had designwork in a more movie-esque style by that point).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  5. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Don't you mean, "Will end well...."?

6. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

By that, I never meant including elements of the G1 designs, I mean using the exact character models from the toys and cartoons.

7. Satomiblood

I'm starting to realize that the G1 designs can look good in a live action movie. If you look at some of the robotic detailing seen from IDW, I think that could translate well. It just has to be done right.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The G1 designs could have worked very well in a live action movie, IMO, but since Bay wanted to go in a different direction we ended up with what we have now.

I'll agree with Satomiblood that IDW-like designs could have worked - especially for characters like the Seekers. I vastly prefer the IDW F-22 Starscream to the "Dorito McChickenlegs" design from the movies.

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    G1 designs could work if you try hard enought. Bay and his crew didn't give a fuck about them so they didn't try enought.

You can' honestly tell me that this

[​IMG]

Couldn't work in the movie as a design

10. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

And right there you lost me. Anything else you said doesn't matter.

11. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    At first, I didn't like movie Starscream's design, but after seeing him in the movies and getting the toys, I kind of like it. But, the only ones I don't care much about are Megatron's. None of his actually really looked good, except for the last one. And, even then, he looked more metal demon of death than Transformer.

As for whining about Volkswagon and change *shrugs* you can't please everyone. Personally, I like the Camaro version, but I wouldn't have complained if he had been a Volkswagon. I always thought they'd take on the modes most readily available in an area to blend in, thus Que chose the one guy's car to scan, so he would blend in. If he'd have stuck around, he probably would have changed modes to something else if the need arose.

I'm not pro-G1/anti-movie or anti-G1/pro-movie. I like both and enjoy them for what they are. Why can't people just enjoy what they like?

12. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Yes, it could. But people don't seem to understand what I'm saying. I actually mean the people who want outdated cars and super blocky robots in the films.

13. Satomiblood

I want outdated cars and super blocky robots.

And strangely, I kind of want the plot of a hypothetical reboot to start out in 1984.

Why not? We've already seen one interpretation that worked out fairly well.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think IDW found a balance that could have worked, but even then they exaggerated a lot of the proportions for character purposes in some cases. That works fantastically well in the comics, but I doubt it would translate well to the screen.

Similarly, the G1 cartoon designs, which themselves were heavily simplified for animation purposes, would be unlikely to work well on the screen, as they would just be blocky amorphous squares in a real-life setting, as opposed to the hypercomplex bayverse designs.

It's strange, because they're two sides of the same coin. Blocky or a mass of wires, with a few defining characteristics so you know who you're looking at. I think by determining what those features are in G1, you could translate to the Bay designs and have them work.

15. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Because not many people would want to see a period piece unless it was designed specifically for a certain place and time (ex. Watchmen and Captain America)

16. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Well, it makes you foolish because you didn't read on and let me explain why

17. Satomiblood

Did you catch my sentence about setting it in 1984?

18. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I think it'd be cool if they did something like they've done in the recent IDW comics, as has been mentioned, but if that were the case, a lot of things, namely vehicle modes would have to change for some characters.

Characters like Megatron and Optimus could retain their normal vehicle modes, if Megatron's was his shadow blade form anyway, but characters like Starscream and the others seekers would probably need smaller vehicles. For instance, if he remained an F-22 Raptor and transformed into a robot similar to his Generation One self, he would stand twice as tall as Optimus.

Either way, I'd like to see the design aesthetic implemented on the big screen, should the next lot of films be a reboot of the series.

19. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Yes, and that's why I said that not many people would want to see a period piece based on a franchise like Transformers unless it called for it. The origins of the Transformers were never exclusively tied to the 80's, much like the origins of other franchises of the same nature weren't either. You don't have to do a Spider-Man movie in the 60s just because the character originated in that decade. The main reason a Captain America movie focusing on him before he was frozen must be set in the 1940s is because if not, you have to make drastic changes to characters like the Red Skull. Transformers doesn't need a period piece.

20. Satomiblood

I'm just saying that it's worth a try. I know a lot of fans wouldn't be opposed to the idea, but you're seemingly pretty dead-set with your opinion. I don't think it truly matters what anyone else says in this thread.

Happy New Year, by the way.