G1 Decepticon Second-In-Command: Starscream or Shockwave?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Karhukjnsi, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Who do YOU think/believe/prefer was the Decepticon second-in-command?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2010.
  1. Starscream

25 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. Shockwave

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
  1. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    A lot of us have been under the impression that the "Air Commander" Starscream had been second-in-command the whole time, but wouldn't it really be Shockwave? He was in charge of an entire planet, I'd figure he'd be the next in line for leadership.

What're your thoughts? Who do YOU think/believe/prefer was the Decepticon second-in-command?

2. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

shockwave would make a much better second-in-command.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Starscream was definitely second in command; he was involved with the day-to-day front line operations of the Decepticons. Shockwave was the rear detachment commander left behind to keep an eye on things on Cybertron.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Megatron gave Shockwave command of Cybertron. He'd never do that to Starscream. It seems like Starscream was his right hand on Earth, While Shockwave was the official second in command.

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Shockwave was probably better at keeping control of things (i.e., keeping the peace, crushing uprisings, etc) but was not necessarily better tactically or strategically than Starscream. Look at it this way, a commander's executive officer (second in command) should be able to step in and lead whenever the commander is incapacitated - Starscream was for all intents and purposes Megatron's XO because of his presence forward. Shockwave basically got the short end of the stick - keeping the fire warm until the boys come back home.

6. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I always saw Shockwave as second in command in that he was entrusted to lead the Decepticons on Cybertron while Megatron was on Earth. This I personally think is the reason Megatron was successful in taking the planet by 2005.

7. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    depends on your continuity following...shockwave in G1 show was left as guardian of cybertron-in command of all decepticon forces on cybertron...that would fit my 2nd in command definition...especially since megatron basically divided the decepticon army...took one section with him and left the other on their planet.

starscream could not command the respect of even the seekers ...so to say he was 2nd in command is just stupid...starscream was a cowardly, shrew of a robot making plans to seize power....that was it.

8. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Starscream was Megatron's right-hand man (who wanted to kill him). Shockwave was that valuable resource that he shoved off to the side.

9. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

When Megatron pursued Optimus he wanted the best of the best with him, including the leader of his strike force, so he brought Starscream. Whereas he left Shockwave behind as a steward, no more than a housekeeper really. Remember, he didn't expect to be gone for four million years. He didn't leave behind his most capable and high-ranking lieutenant to "hold the fort". He basically just said "don't touch anything until I get back" and Shockwave basically had to stand around minding the place for a couple of millenia. That doesn't suggest power or rank.

I think Starscream was far higher than Shockwave. He had more sway over the 'Cons, more delegated power, and was closer to Megatron even though his intentions were dishonest.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Shockwave.

It's only logical.

11. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Megatron recognizes Starscream's abilities as a superior warrior. That's why he made him second in command and put Shockwave on guard duty.

12. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soundwave...

13. tide

tide NEON PRIDE

News Credits:
    Shockwave. Who else would you leave in charge of Cybertron? Starscream's a backstabber too, not the type I'd like at my right hand.

14. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Personally I choose to see Shockwave as the number 2 in charge of the overall army, but Starscream may be the more capable leader and is Megatron's number two on the strike mission

JL

15. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Shockwave was 2nd in command, but Starscream acted like he didn't matter. If Megatron, Shockwave and Starscream were on a mission and Megatron got scrapped, Starscream would not listen to Shockwave. Starscream would seize command of the Decepticons right in Shockwave's face.

16. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Comic or Cartoon?

Comic - Shockwave

Cartoon - Soundwave and Starscream.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Logic would dictate that Shockwave should be second in command.

Starscream is more like Megatron's sidekick.....a backstabbing, treacherous egotist.

18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    shockwave was left on guard duty, starscream was second in command as he was useful upon the battlefield when not trying to overthrow Megatron. I would say Soundwave was probably third in command and actually did a lot of the organising unlike starscream. Shockwave was in charge of cybertron sure, but with no other decepticons around other than drones and the aim of a blind duck. I think shockwave was left on cybertron because he's not very effective in battle.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

In TFTM Starscream assumed command after Megatron 'died' although how much Shockwave knew of this was questionable.
    Logically speaking it can only be Shockwave, but the Decepticons rarely followed an established heirarchy except that they followed Megatron. Everyone else was either a fearful subordinate or a treacherous backstabber (and even those were terrified of him in reality).
    The question is a bit moot as a result of these issues, however in order to play along I'll go for Shockwave. :D 

20. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It all depends. In the comics, Shockwave used logic to determine that HE was a better fit for leader than Megatron, and was the Decepticon leader from issue 5 through 39. Megatron mostly worked in the background getting some troops back but by the time he came back to retake his command, he was taken out of the picture again in issue 25.

In the cartoon, Shockwave was a glorified housekeeper. He didn't have any ambition. He pretty much just kept the status quo for FOUR MILLION EFFING YEARS! Seriously, in all that time, he should have been able to win the war, but he was literal when he said "Cybertron shall remain as you leave it."

Starscream was truly the second in command in the cartoon.