G1: Could it make a return?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kranix, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Kranix

Kranix Banned

How would the fan base feel if hasbro was to remake the G1 stories and some new ones with more modern alt most and different scenarios due to current tech. Hasbro and Takara have shown interest in this and know we have an interest just due to classics/universe and the masterpeice series.

i personally want all the characters to look the same as or close to their original look, just with the latest and most accurate alt mode.

well let the discussion begin...

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    IDW has been doing this for years. Plus we've got the toylines to appease us old school fans. Let the original G1 fiction die a horrible screaming death. It was awful in the 80's, it's awful now.

3. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

have RandallNG animate it!

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We have "new G1" toys with Generations and RTS, We have "new G1" comics from IDW. We have "old G1" cartoons airing on television and available a lot of places on DVD. I think we're about as far into G1 as we can get before it crosses Hasbro's threshold going from beneficial to detrimental.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. GeraldKeefer

GeraldKeefer Gabba Gabba Hey!

They should do like DC Animated does with their movies. Do 1 hour or so straight to DVD mini-films of the original series characters. That would be excellent.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    What's the point though? 1/3 of the original cast is dead.

7. Xformermike

Xformermike Well-Known Member

As much as I love the G1 series it's ship has sailed as far as I'm concerned. I've lived through like a whole wack of reboots and two movies based on G1 and I'm ready to just let it go.

Arguably Prime is another G1 reboot. It's got prime.. bumblebee... arcee.. ratchet... characters and personas that mirror G1. It's pretty close and in my opinion will probably be the best G1 reboot we get. I really like it... It's a g1 reboot of sorts.. but it's FRESH. And I don't see the need for another one! To me it seems redundant...

And uh.. I would drown in boredom if they did the exact same stories... Please no! =p

8. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

er...I don't understand how you are an "old school fan" if you think the old school fiction is terrible...doesn't that make you an "old school hater"?

Oh well haters gonna hate lol.

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I'd love to see some BW straight to DVD movies

10. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I would think by now the Hasbro plan for Transformers is pretty obvious.

Movie- sell toys,lunchboxes, backpacks etc.
    New Transformers cartoon while movie is being made- sell all new toys, lunchboxes, backpacks etc
    Movie 2- Same characters, add a few new ones and update old ones sell toys,lunchboxes, backpacks etc.
    Reboot Transformers cartoon while movie is being made- Same characters, add a few oldies but goodies, different looks sell toys,lunchboxes, backpacks etc.
    Movie 3 - sell toys,lunchboxes, backpacks etc.
    Another reboot of the Transformers cartoon

rinse, wash, repeat.

It's worked for 25+ years with adding the movies of course the last few years but I'd like to see them come back to more G1 stuff.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    When did G1 ever leave? We've been seeing G1 or G1 homages for like 90% of the history of transformers.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No. Of course it doesn't.
    I don't like the cartoon. However the very large number of G1 toys in my TF collection, the stacks of reissues, the complete set of US Marvel G1 comics, and the several complete sets of the cartoon on DVD (even though I don't like it) that are in my house would laugh at you if you were truly small minded enough to call me a hater.
    There's more to G1 than just a cartoon, you know.

13. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can be a fan of the toys, designs, characters, whatever and still look at the fiction objectively and think it sucks.

14. darkunor

darkunor Banned

With all these cheap imitations since G1 ripping off so many "homages" from the glorious G1 show, why not, G1 has so much material it's just oozing for a remake by a christopher Nolan-esque director, you know, someone who acually wants to tell an engaging and compelling story and is not only hell on only selling merchandise, someone who actually pays respect to the source material.

Everytime I see a rubbish incarnations of transformers, I feel like weeping, I wonder why cant' we G1 fans have an intelligent, respectable show in the mould batman and Justice league TAS! However there are changes I would like to see, for as entertaining as G1 was, it was heavily flawed;

I would like to see the characters given a WFC update, not that they have their cybertronian modes but that their earth vehicles are updated to modern standards and simialr robot modes, updated but yet true to their G1 counterparts ala WFC!

I'd like brand new stories all together, I basically want the stories to be an amalgamtion of new stories, stories the G1 comic, dreamwave stories and the odd complete overhaul of the best of G1 episodes.

I'd like the show to feature heavy and consistent continuity, where there is usually an underlying plot or theme in a season and many other sub-plots woven around it. I'd like to see 2,3,4 even 5 parters ala tmnt 2003, even the stand alone should usually have some elements of continuity to them just like in gargoyles! Id even like some of the episode to feature open endings so the viewers are left to ponder on the outcome, kind of like the sopranos!

Events leading up to the 86 movie could be explained ie how the decepticons came into power, their capturing of the moonbases, the construction of autobot city, introduction of the season 3 cast, better explanation of what the matrix was (is), whom or what unicron is and how he came to be in existance! Given how bad season 3 was it could be given a complete overhual alltogether, perhaps revealing reasons for rodimus' insecurities ie creating events in Rodimus making crucial and detrimental errors in judgement thus providing some palatable reasons for his insecurities as a leader, for example!

The voice acting to be top notch, there is no doubt that as well as the awesome figure G1 gave this was the other notable standout feature of the show. Old actors could reprise their roles or similar but updated takes could be given to the G1 cast.

I would'nt also mind character deaths in the show. However it should be done sparingly so as not to cheapen it. I also wouldn't mind seeing more combiner action and as opposed to the typical menasor v superion or computron v abominus, they could mix it up ie defensor v predaking, what a showdown that could be!

All in all, in my opinion a G1 remake in the right hands, of course, could be one of the greatest animated shows of all time, there is just so much material to work with, it's unbelievable!!

15. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Cheap imitations?" "Ripping off Homages?" Seriously? I really hope you aren't referring to things like, I donno, every other Transformers Series since G1. Because then we would have a problem.

I have to laugh though about "Respecting the source material" since G1 "source material" was all about selling toys. The fiction was nonsense and suffered because of it.

16. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Pretty much, yeah! Say what you may but all these laughable incarnations haven't quite scaled the heights G1 did! And when I say G1, I hope you know this encompasses more that just the US series ie G1 comics, japanese stories, hell even dreamwave comics, there's a whole big G1 universe out there just not the american cartoon, mate !!!

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As far as fiction goes,, aside from comics, I'd prefer to let G1 just be what it is.

As far as toys go, I'd like to see many reissues, especially of toys that we didn't get here. Victory Leo, I'm looking at you!

18. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recently had an idea somewhat similar to the OP's idea (can't say if it's an original idea or not). What if someone reanimated the G1 cartoon with '86 Movie-level animation, but left the original audio track untouched? This would get around the problem of 1/3 of the original cast being dead, as someone here pointed out.

This idea came to me when I was watching The Five Faces of Darkness and thought how awful it was that this horribly-animated show was the sequel to the gorgeously-animated movie. I think it would be great if some animation company took on this project, even if they only did select episodes (essentially anything done by AKOM the first time around).

I would buy a DVD of newly-animated G1 episodes that preserve the original soundtrack. I think if it was done well enough, it would almost be like watching a whole new series. Has this ever been proposed before?

19. AMG

AMG Old School

Agreed on all counts.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    You could place the stories in between the old stories, just re-imagined in our modern time. They didn't care about continuity back then, so why now? ;)