G1 Commericals question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mrhillz, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Just wondering, were there ever any commericals for the Marvel TF comics back in the day, like there were for GI Joe? I don't remember any, but I figured that they could have made a few, due to the popularity of the marvel comic.

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember seeing one waaaayy back then because I was disapointed it wasn't for a cartoon (as I wasn't into comics). I have however not found evidence of it in my searches. Perhaps someone else can let me know if I was dreaming the whole thing.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Yes.

Supposedly, the first appearance of the Transformers on TV was actually a commercial for the Marvel comics, long before the cartoon would air!

The article in Marvel Age #17 announcing the comic might have predated that, however, and so did the first unveiling of the toys at Toy Fair in February of 1984. However, since the internet as we know it today didn't exist yet back then, I seriously doubt that many people actually took notice of the toys. So the TV commercial was probably the public debut of the Transformers to a wider audience (more people than those who would attend Toy Fair or read Marvel's in-house promotional title, that is).

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    oh what i wouldn't give for a time machine...