G1 Comics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jaicen, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been reading some old comic stories, collected as books and re-printed. This has really re-ignited my desire to read the comics, but i'm aware how difficult it is to source the originals. I can't stand reading them on a PC, so I do want hard copies, ergo i'm thinking of buying the complete run on CD or something.
    If I was to have the complete UK run re-printed (issues 1-332), how many pages does that run to? I can get away with printing a fair few pages on my works printer.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    1. Youll get better response in the tf comics section.
    2. The board frowns down on illegal download, inc. Comics.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I nearly had the opportunity to purchase original G1 Transformers comic-books 1-4 at my local comic-shop. I suggest you might look at some of your comic-book stores if you have any. Might get lucky.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Don't even think about downloading/printing them.

I have all 332 issues of the original UK comic and I basically took the time and effort to get them all off eBay. They are listed so frequently that you can get 99% of them for a very decent price.
    The only ones that are slightly more expensive are at the very start or the very end of the run. Having said that, the complete works vol 1 & 2 will cover most of the early issues and is widely available at a very low cost.

5. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Now that is a collection I would like to see!
    When you say they're available for a decent price, what are we talking? What are in the complete works?
    Also something to bear in mind, is that i'd like my son to read them all when he gets a bit older, so I don't really want 'collectible' grade stuff.

6. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

When IDW re-prints them,they only do 2 maybe 3 issues per issue,that cost around $3.99. so at that current pace,it'll take a eternity.

then there's the fact IDW takes 3 to 6+months breaks after a UK TF G-1 Marvel comic story is done. right now it's been 7+months already since the last predacons/dinobots/space bridge story ended.

7. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest, I wasn't aware that IDW were re-printing any stories at all. I've been reading the collected stories in graphic novel form, which I like. Much better than waiting for the next part to come out.
    At the minute, it seems to be a toss up between printing them off myself(long process), and having a print company do it for me (more expensive).

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a fellow owner of the "complete UK run" (inc. Collected Comics and Specials!) I can confirm what Auto Morph said. Any issue from, say, issue #30 - 300 are cheap - if you buy them in lots, you're talking less than £1 on average (some of the issues from #100-200, which had the highest circulation at the time, can literally sell for pennies).

Shop smart e.g. buy in lots, search "distance nearest first" (so you can go and collect big lots of comics rather than pay for shipping), and you'll do okay.

Yes, some issues (the very earliest and the very last, or those still with free gifts etc attached) go for more, but hey, collecting should be about COLLECTING. Not just getting a complete set with one fell swoop. Trust me, it's more exciting. And there is nothing like having original comics in your hand!

Alternatively, pick up some of the TPB versions that have cropped up over the years. Titan's editions originally published 2002-05 reprinted the bulk of the UK and US stories, and can be had for pretty cheap.