G1 collectors (so sad)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LifePincher, Apr 7, 2009.

1. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Doesn't it sadden you today, when you walk into a Toys-R-Us and see a tiny section of crap transformers? I remember back in the mid/late 80's where one whole side/isle would be dedicated to just Transformers------ All the way down. (HOLY GRAIL)

Now I just shake my head everytime I look down the section of any toy isle in any store anymore :thumbdown 

I miss G1 looking at all the crap being produced today.

2. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like G1 quite a bit, but compared to today's toys, G1 had less articulation, less complex transformations, and all sorts of parts that could get easily lost. Objectively speaking, today's toys are better playthings

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'll be the first one to say it.

I find G1 nostalgic, but the toys to be pretty crappy. For their time they were good, but today's toys beat it in every single category. Animation and Universe 2.0 are like an evolved form of G1, and I love it.

So no, when I walk down an aisle in TRU, I smile, look for the toys I need, and then walk away still smiling.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Isn't this just the case for action figures/boy toys in general. I remember half an aisle dedicated to Master of the Universe, TMNTs, and Thundercats back in the day. A full aisle for both Transformers and GI Joe.

The boy section for toys in all stores is much smaller than the girls section today. Boys just don't play with action figures is the same quanities that we did in the 80s. I see no reason to say G1 was the greatest because of this reality.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

No, I think the OP is talking about how Transformers used to dominate an entire toy isle back in the 80's, but now is relegated to a small corner and maybe an endcap. While I wasn't around for those days, what really pisses me off is how TF's at my local target are now in a cramped square while that Bakugan garbage has a space 3 times as large in the same isle. Frankly, Bakugan is more price for less plastic when comparing one typical bakugan marble thing to a Universe or Animated Deluxe.

6. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I agree with you 100%.

7. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I remember those full aisles, but I don't remember walking away with anything often except a mental list of what I wanted. (lousy cheap parents.. :p )

Today, I can grab anything on the aisles, but its not the original stuff I wanted. And a smaller selection too.
    I consider it a dark victory.

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I'd expect when the movie comes out those TF sections will be a lot bigger..

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Ahh yes... the glory days. I still remember them... walking into places like Toy City in West Edmonton Mall and seeing what, at the time, seemed like entire aisle walls of big oversized vibrantly colored boxes of Transformers stocked as high & far as you could see. Hell, you could walk into places like Safeway/IGA grocery stores back then and have a field day. That's where I actually bought all my post-Movie toys AND comics from - grocery stores. I got all of my Dinobots in one shot at a hardware store of all places, and most of my circa '85 figures from standard department stores ala what would now be comparible to Winners that happened to have toy sections in the basements or off to the back somewhere. To this day, the only two toys I never remembered seeing in normal stores were Shockwave & Fort Max. But as for all the rest right from the very first wave of Prime, Thundercracker, etc. to the Headmasters & Pretenders era - you could literally buy them from anywhere. Even in small towns as far as 8 hours away from a major city like the one I grew up in. And that's not even counting the Zellers & Sears catalogues or what things must have looked like at places like TRU for the 'big city kids' :) 

That's exactly why my head spun when I got back into actively collecting again a few years ago. I couldn't believe how many places DIDN'T carry Transformers, and the ones that did only had limited stock of most figures for limited time. It took a lot of adjusting when it came to realizing that if you didn't buy the figures from the stores NOW!!, you'd probably have to mail order them from somewhere online later. That and the fact that I now had to buy them myself since the days of being a seriously spoiled rotten only child who got a new TF almost every week were loooong gone, haha. No more Christmas' where giant boxes of Metroplex or Omega are sitting under the tree.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I remember when toy aisles were huge and in most local shops. Now toys in general are down to next to nothing and only in the Tesco (which has barely changed since 1987 other than moving a few shelves around)

I think that's just the rise in videogaming for you, though. I saw Transformers get a lot more space when the first Movie was out, and that was nice. Though the toy section overall was pretty small. And infested with millions of Legends Megatrons.

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    My local Tescos still has a ton of those things. They'll still be there after ROTF Im sure.

12. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Remember when it was basically mandatory for every figure line to have it's own vehicles,and at least one big base? It wasn't just the huge lines,either.
    Sectaurs had a H.Q.,The Madballs had a motorcycle,I think the Food Fighters even had a couple vehicles,and hell,the Rock Lords even had a car!
    Remember that walking chair Superman had in the Kenner line? These days,you can't even convince a store to stock the basic figure assortment,let alone a base. My local TRU has never replenished their (almost empty) stock from DC Infinite Heroes Wave 1,what would be the chances of them ever stocking a Hall of Justice?

13. Tran-e

Tran-e Banned

iijijikkkikikiikikokokok

14. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Perhaps if Hasbro and other toy companies made efficient use of packaging, we could see the sort of volume and selection that was commonplace in the 1980s. However, it sure as hell won't happen as long as they insist on putting a relatively compact vehicle plus 2-3 times its volume of air inside box greater than or equal to the size of a phone book. All that wasted space and fuel imposes additional direct and indirect costs.

15. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I remember the GI Joe stuff and TF was allway sold out the shelves were allmost emty all the time.

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm surprised to see how little shelf space TFs get to. In fact, most places have shrunk it even more to fit the ever growing Bakugan section and add more wrestling toys. While I don't know who's fault it is entirely, most Hasbro made toys, boy or girl, have pretty limited shelf space, while Barbie and Brat's and Hot Wheels get way more. It's hard for me to believe that in a huge store like a TRU that only about 4 feet of one isle is dedicated to Transformers. So I agree with the OP if he is just referring to when the TFs dominated a lot of shelf space, but not if he is implying that all the current TF toys are shit compared to G1.

Oh, but TFs did have a lot more space during the movie, and will probably again with RotF.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ah, I remember those days.
    King Normans Kingdom of Toys.
    You didn't go to the section of the store that had Transformers- you went to the Transformers isle of the store.

Thar was the best- rows upon rows of the white and red of Jetfire... the glints of chrome of Dinobots and Insecticons.

Yes, toys may be better engineered now than then... but that initial excitement just hasn't been matched since.

It brings a tear to the eye.

18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Ah, the good old days. I remember gawking at the aisles of Transformers back in the 80s at stores like KMart and Target with my brother. Rows and rows of Autobot cars, triplechangers, dinobots, and larger TFs like Megatron, Optimus Prime, Jetfire, Shockwave, etc. I'll never forget those times, even though I wasn't allowed to buy anything (my parents divorced and I was raised by my aunt who's a big cheapskate and my grandma). It's part of the reason why I became a avid TF collector about 10 years ago.

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The OP is also using this as a way of saying how bad (he thinks) toys of today are:

In the case of Transformers, there are likely several reasons for this. Sizeclass: Unlike say, regular action figures, Transformers are not standardised in size. Some toys can be much taller or longer than the average due to creative design and application of materials (since the price is determined by plastic weight). That's why you sometimes get very big-looking figures in a smaller price point (Armada Tidal Wave, Animated Lockdown), and so one reason you get big packaging is to anticipate the needs of the line. Like your Ultra class packaging could have somebody as compact as Onslaught, but then you'd have a toy as gigantic in the same size class as Cybertron Jetfire/Movie Jetstorm, yet are still considered to be of the same price point. It's much more cost-effective to make standardised, class-based packaging than individual custom packaging for every toy (like Takara used to do).

Security and protection: Complex packaging will make it harder for people to steal toys outright, or make it harder for them to pull switcheroos or attempt to return a toy that has clearly been opened or tampered with. Another thing is packaging with more space than is necessary will protect the toy inside when it falls.

That's because you're too old/cynical now, and most toys these days aren't made with adult collectors in mind.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember the glory G1 days as well. 1986 was the height when you could still find a boxed Fort Max for under a hundred US. After 86 was a slow decline that ended in the US with Action Masters. Glad G1 continued for awhile in Japan and Europe. It took me awhile to get over the shock of the Beasts. Beasts just make me smile now.:)  I still prefer Transformers that transform into Trucks, Cars, Jets and the like. :D 

In the 80's it was easier being a collector too. The first boxed TF of the season showed the entire catalog of TFs to be released that year. No special editions, exclusives, chase, lucky, clear, black etc. TFs to contend with. Then again there was no Net, nor wonderul sites like TFW2005. Mobile Phones came in suitcases too. :lol , my computer was a lot less powerful 128K, 300 baud dial-up modem, where Compuserve was about the best "online" activity you could have. Most TF fans communicated by snail mail too. Such were those days.