G1 collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by paramedicprime, Apr 15, 2010.

1. paramedicprime

paramedicprime Well-Known Member

hello all! im a bigtime lurker dont post at all really and i havent bought anything in a longtime actually since the movie came out. have had to curtail my buying for a while due to nother financial obligations. Well im gonna start buying again but i just wanna start collecting g1 now. i really dont know where to start. i thought about reissues or encores first. would this be the way to go? thanks for any and all input

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Good idea to start with reissues. Do you have favorite characters, gimmicks, lines or shows? Buy what you like and go from there.

3. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Reissues reissues reissues!
    If you want more than those, then get the vintage ones.
    Go slow. Take your time. There's no race. Enjoy each figure one at a time. Not 50 at once. :lol 

4. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

Re-issues. Most of them are fairly cheap but are missing the action features of the 80's, spring loaded missles and what not

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

If you care about perfection, MIB or MISB, then I'd definitely go for reissues and encores. Then the high-quality KO's of those that have not been reissued. That's how I'm doing it.
    And don't spend $1,000 on a MISB original G1 figure when the same identical "re-issue" can be had for $50! :D 

Oh yea, make a list of characters you like best, and post a want-add list in the market place section of this forum. A lot of guy's here will help you out with your collection.

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Heck I'd skip over a goodly amount of the G1 1984/85 stuff and just buy anything up to & including G2 that happens to be a good toy.

But then I'm not character obssessed as som are - are judge the toys on their merits and not just because something on the cartoon.... (that's not a reason to exclude them either though).

If I had to recommend and Exdiaclone toy then I'd say Grapple's or Hoist a good one.
    [Hoist has been reissued and with tamposide decals is arguably superior to the original]

Personally though I like 'Masters toys', Combiners and ones that do interesting things, and as a fan of small Transformers I'd not forget about sub-basic size toys like the axcelerators or a Combiner like the Techno-bots that might otherwise get over looked.

But reissues can be a good buy too - a reissue Jazz is a good buy usually for example.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

About re-issues, if you can go with the Japanese versions. Their missile-launchers actually fire via spring-loaded which is kind of fun some times. The TRU reissues do not fire.
    Also, get the Masterpiece and WST versions of G1 characters as well. Pretty cool to have one character/figure in three different sizes next to each other.

8. AMG

AMG Old School

Nothing beats having an original G1 bot in your collection.

That said, reissues are a nice option for those who don't wish to break the bank on mint/complete G1 toys. Not many things in this hobby can compare to opening a minty fresh G1 toy and applying all the stickers, something reissues make possible on a budget.