G1 Cliffjumper/Bumblebee Tire Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Swoop Dogg, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Can anybody tell me what tires say "Dunlap" on the original vintage G1 (i.e. - not the keychain ones, KOs, or re-issues) Cliffjumper/Bumblebee mini-cars? Do just the back two tires have "Dunlap" on them or do all four tires say "Dunlap"?

Thanks for your help!

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought it was all four and I thought it was "Dunlop". I'll go grab my vintage Bee and check.

edit: Yeah, I was right, the Dunlop name is on all four tires. Mine is a 1985 rubsign version, I believe. Rubsign is long gone, my Bee got a lot of play.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I think you are correct about "Dunlop" instead of "Dunlap". I stand corrected on that. However, I'm pretty sure only the back two tires have "Dunlop" on them. Can anybody confirm this?

The reason I ask is that I picked up a loose G1 Bumblebee figure at a flea market and I'm trying to figure out if the tires are legit or if he replaced him with tires from the keychain version. The figure I got has "Dunlop" on the back two tires but the front two tires are blank.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
  5. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    On the American, and Japanese minibots, all four say Dunlop on them. But the foreign minibots like the Brazilian Estrela, and the Argentina Antex do not. Ive seen people replace missing blank tires from Estrela/Antex bots with the more common Dunlop ones, Is there a copywrite stamp on the foot?

6. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Here is a list of Hasbro/Takara Mini-bots that I know have Dunlop tires, front and back:

G1
    - Bumblebee
    - Cliffjumper
    - Bumblejumper
    - Hubcap

G2
    - Bumblebee
    - Hubcap

The IGA (Mexico) Bumblebees also have four Dunlop tires, and as mentioned by turboedguy, the Antex and Estrela ones do not. And even the Lynsa ones for that matter.

Interestingly, I got a loose pre-rub Cliffjumper before with only the back tires saying Dunlop on them, the front tires do not look like the keychain ones though, just the like original ones but without Dunlop markings. No way to verify if they are errors or the previous owner found replacement ones that look like the original ones sans the Dunlop markings.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well for what its worth, my G2 Beachcomber also came with the Dunlop tires, but yeah. Not sure how much help that'll be.

8. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Thanks for the responses. I decided to attach some pictures to see if it would help anybody. The red Bumblebee is the Transformer in question. The yellow Bumblebee I know for a fact is a vintage G1 figure that has the keychain BB tires on him because I put them on him myself. The red Bumblebee I recently got at a local flea market and is the Transformer in question. As you can see, only the back two tires have "Dunlop" on them and the Takara stampings are different between the two. I've never seen a stamping like the one that is on the red Bumblebee.

Does anybody know what I got for sure? Are the front two tires legit or is it impossible to tell?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• bb1.jpg
      bb1.jpg
      File size:
      208.4 KB
      Views:
    • bb2.jpg
      bb2.jpg
      File size:
      171.5 KB
      Views:
    • bb3.jpg
      bb3.jpg
      File size:
      168.9 KB
      Views:
  9. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:

The red one is the Microchange/pre-Transformers mold Bumblebee. Besides the round Takara stamp at the bottom, there are differences in the body, commonly a gap in the bottom portion of the bonnet near the bumper, excess plastic in the front passenger window, etc. :) 

Edit:

I checked my red Microchange mold Bumblebee, the front tires have no Dunlop markings too! I'm guessing those are legit but error tires since I also have a Cliffjumper with the front tires have no markings too.
    [​IMG]

My yellow one has Dunlop tires on the front though:
    [​IMG]

A pic of the pair showing the gap in their bonnets:
    [​IMG]

Bottom pic showing the round Takara stamps:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. trudatman

trudatman Member

this thread has confused me. I thought they were all supposed to have markings. my non-circle-stamped Bumper had none on the front, but they were old and worn tires, showing more wear than the back one. that is throwing me off. I need an expert. (I thought I was one.)