G1 Cartoon vs G1 Comic Book

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mgibson97, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Mgibson97

Mgibson97 Active Member

Thanks to IDW being available through Comixology...I downloaded the original Transformers comic series (never read before) and loved the difference in the story telling between the two...Shockwave being on Earth, Dinobots creation, Brick Springhorn and the Tenth Avenue Band (LOL)...Your thoughts?...

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They both have their strengths, but the comic, due to the nature of it's medium, was able to spend more time on characterization and take the story into some more mature places.

3. kanvis

kanvis Well-Known Member

Shockwave is way more interesting and faithful to his toy description. Dinobots backstory is more believable than wheeljack somehow building sentinel beings life. Also Grimlock is not a idiot, but more of a tyrant warrior. Galvatron being 100% more kickass than simply insane. The comic has a lot going for it......though Optimus being killed by a video game is really lame. lol.

4. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

Yeah, and he's really not even killed in the game. He essentially commits suicide and lets Megatron live even though he beat Megatron in the game (with Megatron cheating to get another life nonetheless), just because some innocent bystanders in the game (ie not real life people) were harmed during the battle. That was annoying, although it does lead to King Grimlock's reign, lol.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Comic book blows cartoon out of the water.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Writing of the Marvel Comic Book series is amazing, But the Cartoon will always be memorable for fans.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Completely agree!

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    For me the comic was, and still is, the better version of G1 storytelling. That said, the cartoon is easier to just throw on and watch when I've got half an hour to kill. And the cartoon gave us those great iconic voices and sound effects.
    I'd love to see the comic stories animated and have the best of both worlds.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Actully, I thought the comic just blows.

OK, not that bad, but I did think the comic was incredibly weak. It got good toward the end.
    I liked the toon more.

10. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Best thing about the comic was the portrayals of leaders as wtfgodstomping everyone, and virtually unbeatable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and this-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

That's because the tech specs and the early US Comic run were written by the same guy (Bob Budiansky).

I thought the comic had better storylines overall (Staxis and Circuit Breaker, for example) but they only needed 12 stories every year. If they had to write as many stories as the cartoon, I'm sure there would have been a lot more "Carwash of Doom"s and "Afterdeath"s.

12. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

One thing that I always hated in the G1 Toons is the Dinobots origin. The Autobots create 3 of them, they turn out to be indestructible warriors that help tip the fight in their direction, so build another 2....

....yet if the Dinobots were such great warriors, and unkillable, why the heck didn't the Autobots just make a small army of them, stomp the Cons hardcore, save the entire planet (if not the universe), and win the war?

And no going, "That's all the toys they had!", that's bringing toy logic to the cartoon. Use cartoon logic to explain the cartoon.

Budiansky was by far my favorite of the writers. His TFs were actual characters, with actual desires, and many of them were conflicted in what they wanted to do for themselves and what they had to do for the war.

But one thing that saddens me is everyone harping on "Carwash of Doom". Is it a silly concept? Perhaps. But it was also, mind you, the greatest theft of energy the Cons had, comics OR cartoons, that they were also able to keep and use!

And further, you got to remember Budiansky was working on TFs as a writer for over 2 years, maybe 3 by that time. He was the editor of Spider-Man prior, and saw this as a demotion (who wouldn't?) and asked for about a year prior to have someone else take over the TF comic writing. He was tired of TFs, he wanted to do what he was hired to do. Carwash of Doom was basically his way of going, "Hey, I mean it, I want off this comic, get me my replacement already!"

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
  14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If somebody honestly thinks the G1 cartoon is better fiction than the marvel comics... well good luck with life.

15. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

For me, in spite of both medium's flaws, I'd have to give my vote to the comic. There's just a lot more there that I like - the Autobots routinely getting their butts handed to them, humans NOT embracing them in gratitude, not-stupid Dinobots, the robot body count over the course of the run, Optimus outwardly being the stalwart leader while battling his own self-doubts, Megatron's obsession over not killing Optimus himself driving him mad (however poorly executed that death was in comparison to the animated version), the Underbase ultimately heading for Earth. And that doesn't even count the things I like from the UK book.

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Comics over cartoons easily but Cartoons are just so much fun!

17. kanvis

kanvis Well-Known Member

Yea, I was quite aware of that. Still, Shockwave was a much better character in the comic.

Shockwave in the comic:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Comic all the way. The cartoon is an overrated sack of sugar and cheese that melted with age. The comic has substance and is much more entertaining and memorable.

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The comic by undeniably better written, but the voice in the cartoon is undeniably equally the reason G1 is so loved.

20. kanvis

kanvis Well-Known Member

True. I always imagine some of the voice from the show when I ready any of the comics