G1 cartoon, Technobots question/discussion.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mrhillz, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I watched the Season 3 episode "Grimlock's new brain" today for the first time since I was maybe 8 or 9. Everyone knows, that remembers the episode , he created them from scrap metal that was lying around in Unicron's head, assumingly from the internal death traps/anibodies he used while he was alive.

What I really want to know is how did Grimlock instill a life force into them? It was never shown. Did he siphon from Unicron's spark/energy? If so, shouldn't they be worried that one day they might turn agains the Autobots to help revive the chaos bringer, bound by sharing part of the same spark?

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    he likely either a) was smart enough to use his own spark or safely use Unicron's; b) became so smart he pulled a Mr. Manhattan (so smart impossibleness happened) or built something to generate sparks; c) was smart enough to program sparks into them; or d) continuity error.

3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Well, since sparks didn't exist, I'd assume he simply constructed laser cores from the resources at hand. If not, possibly modifying parts from Unicron to do the same thing.

4. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because the G1 cartoon was so consistent in its continuity.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The Power of Plot my friend, that is all that need be said.

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While it's all really questionable retroactively after the introduction of the Spark, within the G1 series itself, it's not really much of an issue. Although the introduction of the Matrix into the series would bring about talk of "life forces", for the most part, a Transformer's mind and personality are just presented as something that is programmed into them, because they're robots. It's reflective of the cartoon's general attitude, always erring on the side of "science" (Trasnformers built by Quintessons, Unicron built by Primacron), even wobbly 1980s cartoon kid-vid science, instead of leaning toward more "magical" explanations like Primus. Circa season 2, the only thing capable of such intricate, involved programming is Vector Sigma. Any attempt by other characters to scratch-build and program a Transformer? Primitive brutes with simple minds like the Dinobots and Trypticon. Hence the pre-existing personality components for the Combaticons in "Starscream's Brigade", rather than programming them from scratch. I also like to theorise - but it is just a random theory that I can't back up - that the invention of the Vector Sigma concept in the writing offices was what necessitated a new origin for the Constructicons getting added to the show that had them not being scratch-built as their intro episode suggested. But Grimlock has MAD SMARTS in "Grimlock's New Brain", hence, he has the intelligence and ability to program a Transformer with a "full" personality.

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The concepts of Sparks wasn't yet fully fleshed out during G1. Sure we've had Autobots/Decepticons given "life" like the Aerialboats and Stunticons, but we've also had bots like Grimlock himself and the Dinobots, who were created from scratch by Wheeljack. I say, don't think too hard about a cartoon that never really was written that seriously..

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Chris beat me to the punch mentioning Vector Sigma, but I think I can give a fairly simple logical explanation of mine relating to it that might answer your question.

Vector Sigma gives Transformers life.
    Vector Sigma is a 'super computer' (so described in the episodes it first featured in)
    Grimlock becomes super smart in 'Grimlock's Brain'. So Grimlock is now a super computer.
    Grimlock gives Transformers life, specifically the Technobots.

If Grimlock hadn't given up his raw intelligence it's entirely possible he could've given life to more TF.

Now does that mean since Grimlock gave that intelligence to Computron that now Computron can give Transformers life?

Maybe. :p 

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if one doubts this, then just watch the first few minutes of carnage in c minor :lol 

10. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

How does bad animation and plot equal bad continuity? Despite animation errors from AKOM it was a fairly consistent story was it not?