G1 Cartoon Speculation Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Takeshi357, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    So as I was reading "Pretender to the Throne!" and other comics introducing the 1988 toys, it got me thinking; what if the cartoon wasn't cancelled in 1987? What if it had kept on going for, say, two more years?

Yes, I know there was technically a season 5, but that was just re-runs of older episodes with live action bookends. Had that not been the case tho, we don't really have anything, do we? Not even plans by anyone working on the cartoons on how to introduce any of the 1988 characters since actually producing new episodes was long dead and buried by then.

Some of the bigger questions I like to speculate on are "why does OP become a powermaster?" since he'd already been brought back in his old body, "what's the reason for the creation of the Pretenders and the new Head/Targetmasters?", and especially in the case of the Pretenders, "would've their cartoon introduction been a bit more enthusiastic than it was in the comics?"

Not to mention going even further to 1989 when there was an obvious disconnect between whoever was writing the toy bios then and what Furman wrote in the comics; Bludgeon pretty much uses none of the abilities the toy bio pruports him to have in the comic apart from his martial arts skills, and Thunderwing's practically a completely different charater.

2. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

The Powermaster gimmick probably would have been treated like the Headmasters one (unfortunately). Perhaps Optimus and the other Cybertronians that became Powermasters would have crashed somewhere and the only way that their lives could be saved was to bond with humanoids. (I honestly don't remember the comics reasoning, so apologies if I'm subconsciously plagarizing.)

As far as introducing new characters, they would just show up just like they did in every other episode.

3. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I know 80's cartoons were repetitive, but even Transformers wouldn't have gone such an obvious route as to cop the exact same premise as the Headmasters' introduction.

Of course, they probably could've just introduced characters like the small Headmasters and Targetmasters the same way they did so many of the new characters in '85 (and how they pretty much did in the comics, too); they're suddenly just there. Powermasters and Pretenders, being the whole new gimmick, would've received a proper introduction, in lieu of stories like "Key to Vector Sigma".

4. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    If the show had not been cancelled, Rebirth would have been a proper 5 part episode and wouldn't have felt so rushed. The season would probably continued with Optimus Prime becomming a Powermaster towards the end of the season along with Pretenders and Powermasters coming in as groups. I'd love to see it happen. It's a shame G1 ended like it did since as a kid I was begging for more.

• Like Like x 2
  5. StriderHiryu

StriderHiryu Well-Known Member

Honestly, what I'd like to see is a series in between seasons 2 & 3. I never liked the Rodimus era and hated that most of the original characters were killed off during the movie. There's so much potential for stories in between the two that I think would appeal to all fans.

6. ReximusPrime

ReximusPrime Well-Known Member

I've grown fond of the cartoon lately, and love it just as much as the G1 Marvel Comics all for different reasons. If I want more action-packed, slightly more mature stories I'll go with Marvel, and if I want great, campy and loveable stories that actually focus on the Transformers and plenty of great character banter, character spotlights and just enough lore sprinkled in to make you wonder, then its Sunbow.

But honestly guys, do you really think they would have handled this concept with much dignity at that point? The comics didn't get it right and the cartoon certainly wouldn't have gotten it right. I mean, the cast was getting pretty big, and with the 1985 characters just appearing out of nowhere with no explanation whatsoever, 90% of the original cast being killed off for the 1986 characters and those god-awful rebirth episodes explaining the 1987 characters in a way that was so utterly uninteresting and rushed that I can hardly even remember any of them (and that's regardless of whether it was originally supposed to be a 5 parter, the plot itself was still relatively bad and I really fail to see how they would have continued using the nebulon characters without them just fading out and not being mentioned by the end of the season). I'm aware this is an opinion, its very subjective,, but just compare the Season 1's miniseries with Season 4's miniseries and you see a distinct difference in quality, or at least potential.

It would have been INTERESTING to see how they incorporated the Pretenders and Powermasters, but it most likely wouldn't have been GOOD, in my personal opinion. And that's not even getting into how little they probably would have followed the bios and the fact that no one would get an interesting enough expansion, unless they spent time really developing characters in each episode while also juggling that Quintesson and Unicron team up that was supposed to happen.

7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I doubt it would, it wouldnt appeal to me anyway. I never liked that era so i was glad the movie came and freshened things up
    I'm the opposite really. What i'd really like to see is more stories about the 86-87 characters, theres so much potential for stories there that i think would appeal to all fans.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm happy enough with the Japanese G1 shows, which wouldn't exist if the American series had continued.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what would be particulary nice if a series was done between season 2 and 3 is, you could almost have a best of type series. Meaning you could play with season 1 and 2 characters but you could play with many of the movie characters as well too. Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, Springer, Broadside, Kup, Blur, and Arcee. I always loved that one commercial that had kup, blur and hot rod on earth coming to Primes aid and always wanted a series like that too myself

10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    This for me, too.

I would like to see a modern sequel to Rebirth, though, using Titans Return as a springboard.

11. StriderHiryu

StriderHiryu Well-Known Member

uh that's cute... Hey if you like that era more power to you. Anyway, the point is a series between season 2-3 would include hot rod, and crew since the movie never shows where they came from, the origin of autobot city, etc. No need to be a douche.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Nebulos would likely have become a main planet in the show, like Earth and Cybertron, with the Neblulons and the Hive pulling the 'Bots and 'Cons into their conflict, which would eventually have somehow resulted in the Powermasters. I suspect they're intro would've been like the Dinobots, with Brainstorm and his HM partner just one day deciding to create them on a whim. Newer HMs and TMs would probably have just turned up out of nowhere. How Pretenders would've come about is harder to say. The show didn't usually put humans in with aliens (outside of Cybertronians) so I doubt the stealth aspect would've been used. However they introduced it, if they advertised Starscream's toy, it probably would've made for one of the show's more interesting episodes.

13. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

actually the Japanese series would likely still have been made as they were in production before sunbow/marvel was with the rebirth

the headmasters series aired 4 months before the rebirth