G1 cartoon question!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ryan F, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    On the UK DVDs (don't know about elsewhere), some of the S1 episodes have no title caption or writer credit.

Is this how the episodes were broadcast, or were they not always this way? I seem to recall that maybe they were given title captions for repeat transmissions, is this true?

Does anyone have a screencap of, say, the first episode with a title caption? Does a genuine one exist?

Cheers in advance, hope you experts can help me out!

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    http://cybertronchronicle.freewebspace.com/cartoon-dossier/season-1/season1-2.html

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/More_than_Meets_the_Eye,_Part_1

3. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
  4. Ryan F

News Credits:
    Thanks guys!

So what's the source for the first story being called "More than Meets The Eye"? Was it on a script, or a production document, or was it just something made up by the people who put out the first American VHS volume?

5. Brum Bot

News Credits:
    Not quite sure - All I know on the 'Video Gems' release on VHS here (which I may still have in the loft somewhere) it was called Arrival from Cybertron.

The US release has always been known as MTMTE and I'm guessing its just stuck there as that's the first release of the series.

Gingerchris, spacebridge or possibly Maz may know more detail on this.

Just saw your avatar - you must be not far from me :) 

6. Ryan F

News Credits:
    The avatar is a lie, I'm an Essex boy, sorry!

Arrival from Cybertron is a much better name than MTMTE.

I have this theory that the UK VHS peeps just picked which episodes to release based on which had the coolest sounding titles. War Dawn! Fight or Flee! Heavy Metal War!

I swear that's why we never got Kremzeek...

7. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I've never seen the episodes with textless openings or endings unless I select it on the menu. Your DVD may not have texts because it's a bootleg

8. Ryan F

News Credits:
    The episodes on the official UK releases are an odd bunch. Sometimes the end credits are textless, sometimes the wrong opening sequence or title music is used. Our versions also lack the ad bumpers.

At a guess, I'd say that the textless end credits appear on episodes sent to non-English-speaking nations, so the local broadcasters could edit their own translations onto the footage.

It would appear that multiple versions of the episodes exist - back in the eighties the tapes were copied around the world for a multitude of broadcasters, edited, re-edited, revised and amended.

These aren't counterfeit versions, these are just the versions of the episodes that were on the shelf at the time when Metrodome (the UK licence holder) was compiling the box sets.

Obviously I'd prefer a set of "as broadcast" episodes, but in a country where you still can't buy a complete run of 80s MOTU or TMNT, we're lucky to have the episodes at all.

9. pitt55

pitt55 Well-Known Member

Was the opening three-parter originally broadcast in three parts?
    Or was it broadcast a few months before the start of the first season as one long special?

10. Ryan F

News Credits:
    Three parts over consecutive days.

But the show was syndicated, so even in the US, different local broadcasters aired the show on different dates. It's possible it was aired as a single movie-length show somewhere, but there's no evidence of it.

Sunbow did that a lot: GI Joe, Jem, Visionaries etc. all began with multi-part pilots. Although they were often edited together for VHS and DVD, I think I'm right in saying they first aired individually.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Certainly the VHS cover was titled that. It's been forever since I chucked a tape in the machine, and I probably wouldn't want to risk it now, so I'm not sure if the MTMTE episodes were titled in the actual show. My vague memory seems to think there was no title to the episode(s) at all. The three-parter was all edited into one long 'movie' if I remember correctly. Same with the UK VHS release of 'The Rebirth', although that had episode titles (and very faint hints of the remains of the advert bumpers if you were quick enough with the pause button).

Sounds plausible. Although 'The Girl Who Loved Powerglide' perhaps not so much. Perhaps that's why they paired it with 'Call of the Primitives' to up its title cred (and, I think, also in another release with 'Heavy Metal Wars'). I think that was a pack-in with a colouring book set since it has just a cardboard sleeve rather than a plastic book-style case.

12. Ryan F

News Credits:
    I've been looking into this a bit more. A couple of things I just realised...

1) The opening three-parter only lists half the cast on the end credits! From episode 4 the full cast were given due recognition, but actors such as Frank Welker and Dan Gilvezan aren't actually credited for their work on "More than Meets the Eye"! Amazing!

2) The UK DVDs contain PDF copies of (what appear to be) genuine scans of the original episode scripts. For those interested in Production Codes, contrary to Wikipedia's episode list it would seem that all the episode codes have the "MP" (Marvel Productions) prefix, not just the pilot trilogy!

Annoyingly, the scripts for the pilot appear to be fan-made transcripts (complete with dodgy spelling) rather than original scans.

That said, the scripts for the other title-less episodes all have the "proper" titles written on the cover, which leads me to believe that all these episodes had titles at the script stage, even though they never appeared on screen.

Also interesting is that the episode titles are parsed somewhat differently on the scripts. It's 'Divide & Conquer' (with an ampersand) and 'SOS -- Dinobots' with two hyphens and no periods in the SOS. And it's actually 'The Heavy Metal War' with a definite article. How about that?

13. transmuseum

transmuseum The professor

Ebay:
    :O

14. Brum Bot

News Credits:
    I vaguely remember this as a kid. Also Nighmare Planet was a cardboard sleeve VHS.

I also had Starscreams Brigade on a 3 part Video with Inhumanoids and Action Force (GI Joe).

I've got a pile of the TF VHS knocking around somewhere - I'll see if I can dig out and take a pic.

15. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

It can't be all bad. At least now you don't have words blocking the openings

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got a few pics of my G1 VHS still lurking on my Photobucket, although I know I have a few others somewhere that slipped through the frenzied photographing of my TF stuff a few years back. I did spot that my copy of Nightmare Planet (pictured below) is a plastic case release rather than the cardboard sleeve version you mention. It does sound vaguely familiar though so I might actually own that too.
    Just goes to show with Transformers stuff there's always something new to collect, even if it's old VHS.

I know the video collection you mention with Starscream's Brigade on as I've got a copy. There were a few others like that too. Sometimes it was the only way us poor UKers could get to see certain TF episodes. When you think of it it was pretty sad just how many episodes didn't get any release over here, telly airing or VHS release. Although I think one of the earliest satellite channels in the UK did air a lot more G1 compared to terrestrial channels (good old Wac-a-day), but my family were too poor for something like that. We were still renting a telly and VCR back in the early G1 days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ryan F

News Credits:
    Amazing collection! Some great memories there!

Another cartoon question..,

3 sets of end credits were made for season 1. Set one only lists half the voice cast, and mentions writer George Bloom (so used only for the pilot trilogy).

The next set have the full voice cast, and no writer credits apart from two script editors.

The third and final set credit eight of the series writers.

So at what point during season 1 did they switch to the third set of credits?

It's difficult to check because the DVD releases often mix up the closing sequences...