G1 Cartoon- I think I just realised something!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by destrongerlupus, Aug 23, 2009.

1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    OK minor, and unprovable, but I've got a hypothesis about some of the "special power" assignments for the original cast.

Namely Mirage and Hound.

Namely Invisibility and Hologram-Projection.

I think it's no coincidence that these two powers were also given to the two characters with OPEN COCKPITS in vehicle mode.

Sure, they never USED the disguise-concept generally, but these choices were probably made during early-development where the idea still seemed important. And iirc Hound DOES holo' himself a driver in MTMTE.

Everybody else could just have tinted windows (and were generally drawn that way, for that matter), but these two characters needed some ADDITIONAL abilities to hide the fact they were driver-less.

Anyone got a copy of the Bible? (If so I'd love to buy it...or even deeply over priced photocopies.... ;) ) When I got a chance to page through it @ BC'99 (It was at Anaheim that the Story-Editor chap was there, yeah?), I didn't think to look at these two, but if there's a reference to this concept anywhere, it's probably there.

Anyway, unprovable, but I think from a standpoint of strict logical deduction, I'm betting I'm on to something!

I love the inside-baseball stuff more than the actual toys or fiction these days, so I found this notion pretty exciting ;) 

D/L

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Interesting theory. Makes perfect sense for Hound. Not sure how it fits Mirage though. Unless your suggesting he turns himself invisible and just drives down the streets that way so no one notices him at all, which would work for a stakeout, but wouldn't humans still be able to hear him coming? Still sounds kinda dangerous if Mirage is barreling down the road all invisible. "No officer I didn't actually see what hit him, but he slammed into something all right that knocked him ten feet in the air and the trama wounds are all indicative of someone being hit by a car. So you tell me if I'm just drunk and seeing things or not?" ;-)

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    By that logic, shouldn't Beachcomber have holographic powers?

4. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    That's my thinking, and you're giving these guys way too much credit for thinking things through ;)  Better to have a logic-plot-hole than miss the chance to give two characters two different cool-powers ;) 

He came along much later, after all pretext of realism, and stealth-specifically, had already been long abandoned. Being a stoner-hippie was a good enough power for him by then

D/L

5. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Huh, thats is a pretty good theory. I really am thinking about this.

(Not Sarcasm)

6. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Thanks! Hit me like a ton of bricks the other day when I was drafting a script for photo-comic.

I was thinking using "stealth" as a core-story-concept with the '84 guys, and thought "Oh damn, what about Mirage and Hound, and their open-cockpits?" And about 2 seconds later I realized they had built-in-character-traits to solve that problem, and I thought "This can't be a coincidence!"

Anyway, like I said, nothing major, but I love figuring out the behind-the-scenes stuff!

If you think that's good, ask me about Zartan's name someday, I'm SURE I've got that one figured out!
    D/L

7. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

I'd think, with Mirage being a spy and all, that he'd have noise dampeners or some other cloaking tech that employs itself when he goes unseen. Otherwise, in either mode, his electro disruptor is completely useless and he'd be lousy at infiltration with Soundwave around.

I recall his specs saying that he was able to use his disruptor to alter his physical placement or give himself a different physical appearance. It wasn't touched on much in the cartoon since it would have been too similiar to Hound's abilities, but assuming this wasn't so much omitted as ignored, there's no reason he couldn't have generated himself a "driver" like Hound. If logic can be employed here, it's very likely that 1) he disliked Earth so much that he didn't have the desire to blend in like the others and 2) he's a formula racecar which isn't exactly a common sight on a major highway within city limits. He couldn't blend in with or without a driver anyhow so why even try?

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I don't mean to be too much of a buzz-kill, but no. You're trying to make things fit. The only way that would have been the reason behind it, is if they would have told you that was the reason behind it. The '80's was a whole other time, where you didn't need back-stories for everything for them to make sense. They had those abilities because the story needed them to have those abilities, or in the case of the toy's bios, they used the abilities that were already known to move the story, and even then, when the abilities of any one character weren't enough, they made one up!

9. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    I think some of G1 "powers" were loosley connected to the characters persona. With Hound being a scout, hologram makes perfect sense. Same thing with Mirage as a spy, stealth works well.

Thinking about other powers

Jazz - stereo and grappling hook
    Ratchet - laser welder
    Sideswipe - Jetpack

I can`t think of the rest I know in the first episodes half of them had fire extinguishers

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Wasn't Hound's holographic ability only for projecting three-dimensional topographical maps in his tech specs? And I don't think Mirage's power was specifically invisibility. The show kinda took the basis of what the tech specs were and massaged them into something simple and useful for a kids show. Hound did project that rocket base once so it kinda fits there with what his real holographic power was.
    For Mirage's alt mode he could've gotten away with just a humanoid form driver dummy with a helmet and racing jumpsuit on. Not even a need for a fancy hologram. Of course an F1 race car would stick out a mile on your normal streets regardless of what driver it had.

11. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Generally speaking I agree with you (hence my snark about Beachcomber above), but having read through a good part of the G1 Story Bible, as well as various interviews with the creative-team from the early days, I feel confident that the INITIAL pre-production work for the brand was pretty tight.

Which is not surprising, considering Hasbro was basically gambling millions of dollars that if they wrote a good enough story for these guys they could make a real business out of selling toys that had already been on our shelves and failed to sell.

D/L

12. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Makes a lot of logical sense. However, its all undermined by the crazy notion that dressing up in giant lab-coats would fool the Decepticons :D