Introductory: G1 Cartoon Backgrounds to Use for Backdrops - Part Two

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by OptimusTimelord, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

(Note that this is an image-heavy thread. Just be patient while your browser uploads all of the images. ~Superquad7)

Back to Part One! --> G1 Cartoon Backgrounds to Use for Backdrops - Part One

Here are more G1 background images to use. Yeah, this is about as good as it gets without manual tinkering like in the first poster shots. [It] doesn't help that the DVDs were encoded really poorly, too. Getting clear frames without compression artifacts isn't easy. Animation errors wouldn't matter too much, either, in this case, since I'm deliberately trying to avoid animated characters and focusing on the backgrounds. Often this means removing cell artwork by judicious overlapping of frames:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For example, this is a panning shot where the background simply cannot be extrapolated because none of the characters move: (caption "No, mister Hound, I expect you to die!"):

[​IMG]

Whereas this one originally had Ravage running across it:

[​IMG]

….and this had Brawn, Bumblebee and Spike walking into shot (from 'The Ultimate Doom'):

[​IMG]

I tried to find interiors of the Nemesis where the background was recoverable, but there only seem to be close ups of computer screens etc. This is the best wide shot I could get. It pans right as Megatron walks across:

[​IMG]

So, what I've done here is to use the clone tool and some digital painting to fill in the areas as I imagine they might look. I've also touched up the rest of the image:

[​IMG]

....and another random Cybertronian cityscape:

[​IMG]

No problem. Only the first three were made with printing in mind (and now the Nemesis interior too) but to be effective you really need the original large files. To give you an idea how they look, these are 40" poster prints:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other standard screen grabs have been upped to 200 resolution but would still be a bit blurry if printed off that big. [There’s] no physical reason why you can't though.

Takeshi357 adds: You need to upload the full size versions somewhere. Archive them as PNGs to minimize compression artifacting - hopefully, since the DVDs aren't exactly free of them as it is….

A few more shots from the TV series:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let’s go through the '86 movie now! Before we get into the images, I wanted to post this frame that I found accidentally (skimming through at speed I hit pause and this exact image came up): a genuine frame from the movie, unaltered. Can you make out what it is?

[​IMG]

It is indeed! I guess it's a brief flash frame to represent the gun blast. Thought it was a really nice, stylized image and worth sharing.

So here we go, the movie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Why settle for a peek?" This one was a pain to do but worth it I think. In the film it's a travelling shot with trees and cliffs flying by in the foreground so you only get glimpses of Autobot City in the background. Using patches from almost every frame I managed to assemble them together a bit like a jigsaw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's quite impressive isn't it? [It] amazes me that these pieces of art were used once or twice in a background and not made more of. I really don't know if anyone has tried to piece frames together like this before, but I've definitely never seen it done. It gives a whole new appreciation of the material.

More images from the movie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the setting for Devastator's attack on the city:

[​IMG]

So going through season three, it's very apparent that the overall quality of art drops. I t's notorious for bad animation but even the backgrounds are often just a couple of brushstrokes! Still, there are some decent efforts. Here are the highlights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It baffles me why they couldn't just re-use the wonderful panoramic painting of Autobot City from the Movie (posted earlier); instead we get cheap imitations (these are the two best versions, others were a lot worse):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The geometric Cybertron of season 1 becomes a less detailed but more fluid, colorful world in S3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Random stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quintesson scenes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a slanted panning shot, so I've lined the frames up and rotated the image to make it vertical for easier viewing and also with a bit of tidying up around the edges:

[​IMG]

“Webworld” proved to be one of the best episodes for unusual alien backgrounds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Random space shot:

[​IMG]

“Carnage in C-Minor” also had some interesting backgrounds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From “Grimlock's New Brain”:

[​IMG]

….and finally, “Call of the Primitives”:

[​IMG]

Onward to Part Three! --> G1 Cartoon Backgrounds to Use for Backdrops - Part Three

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.