G1 cartoon: Are Autobot HQ and Decepticon HQ on the East Coast?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tuxedo Mark, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

Okay, I just watched "The Girl Who Loves Powerglide". It's not said so, but it seems to take place in New York City, based on the group meeting in Sparkplug's garage, which has a duplicate Teletraan I station.

Furthermore, they seem to go from NYC to the volcano and back again with basically no problem.

The Decepticons are said to have that flying platform in the North Atlantic. Powerglide programs it to crash on top of Decepticon HQ. This agrees with "Day of the Machines" that Decepticon HQ is in the Atlantic.

Carly's able to drive from Autobot HQ to the dock to take a speedboat out to Decepticon HQ in "The Immobilizer".

I can only conclude that Autobot HQ and Decepticon HQ are in pretty close proximity to New York City.

2. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    autobot hq is in Oregon, and decepticon hq is under the ocean.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Also, considering that the autobots and decepticons would travel around the world with no trouble in a single episode, proximity isn't such a big deal.

4. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any episode yet that says Autobot HQ is in Oregon.

It's a big deal for Carly. Again, she peeled away from Autobot HQ, went to the dock, and took a speedboat out to Decepticon HQ, which is in the North Atlantic.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    It doesn't actually say that in the show, but it does explicitly state it is in the comics (I don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume that they were meant to be the same in both continuities), and the immediate vicinity of the base in the show is consistent with the geography of eastern Oregon, so it's not a bad place to assume.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Marvel Comics. also several TF license plates reference this.

the show, like everything in the 80's ignores distance and geography. Much like you're doing. according to you, the east coast is a desert wasteland with an active volcano.

your problem is that you're trying to make sense of the G1 show. stop it.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

This

We know the Autobots crashed into Mt. St.Hilary in the comics [which is kinda their Mt. St.Helens] and thats west coast

Plus they frequently visited Portland Oregon

so yeah. I just kinda grew up thinking like this. Autobots = West Coast and Decepticons = East Coast

I dunno why but i just always figured the Decepticons crashed into the Atlantic Ocean. Just seems more fitting to me :p 

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Could this be why transformers are referenced so much in rap/hip-hop?

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I generally accepted the fact that the Autobot HQ is on the west coast in Oregon.

However, I assumed that the Decepticon ship had crashed into the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. But since it wasn't really stated in which ocean their ship-turned HQ was located, I have no frickin' idea.

10. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

:lolol 
    Yeah its inposible to no where the Autobot base is with where they are at a given time, I seem to remember alot of eps being in LA landscape at least 5 EP come to mind with this looking like were it was, but I have no way of knowing for surew.

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm tempted to put this on a t-shirt and wear it to Botcon this year. XD

12. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I think "City of Steel" was the only episode that was specifically set in New York.

13. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Autobot Headquarters (a.k.a. "The Ark") is implied to be in the Pacific Northwest or Rocky Mountains. The fact that their volcano was inspired by Mt. St. Helens, the biggest (American) eruption of the time, only serves to drive that point. (The comic name of said volcano is Mt. St. Hilary.)

Decepticon Headquarters (or the wreck of their replacement starcruiser) is specifically "in the ocean". Though the final battle in episode 3 takes place in the dryer western states (implying their ship crashed in the Pacific), 2nd season stories (City of Steel, The Girl Who Loved Powerglide, Make Tracks, Auto-Bop, Cosmic Rust, the one involving the Sub-Atlanticans, etc.) make it seem as if their base has a close proximity to New York (suggesting the Atlantic). This also gives the Autobots a good excuse for setting up a base of operations in New York City (under the guise of a warehouse/garage for Sparkplug). The only 2nd season story that implies contradicts the Atlantic theory is Kremzeek!, where the 'Cons set up a energy magnet (near their base?), in the Pacific.

14. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

It's just a cartoon. I'm sure a lot of thought didn't go into this when the writers were working on this stuff. I'd be willing to bet it was all random. Just like Wheeljack inventing hydrofoils so the Autobots could drive on the ocean. Jesus, G1 had some stupid fucking elements to it. And some people think it'd be a good idea to reboot it? I like g1 as much as the next person, but it's not perfect. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't think too hard about it. It'll never make sense...:) 

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

No there were 2 others.

"Make Tracks" and "Auto-Bop" by relation.

Funny fact............Autobot HQ was never called the Ark in the cartoon.

16. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cosmic rust is in NYC
    or at least part of it..

they end up in Washington DC at least once two.
    and smokescreen finds an alien version of vegas in an episode ...haha

oh and by relation "the girl who loved powerglide" is NYC because of sparkplug's garage.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Mt. St. Helens is in Washington State. If "Mt. St. Hilary" is described as being in Oregon in the comics then fine, but the mountain inspiring such isn't in Oregon.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Quoted as it should be in every thread trying to explain something from G1.

19. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Yet another reason for the Decepticon base to be in the Atlantic is in the episode "Day of the machines".
    Five minutes into the episode the following happens:
    On the screen of Teletraan 1 you see lots of oiltankers converging in a spot in the Atlantic and Optrimus says they are converging close to the Decepticon headquarters.

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think that Geography and Transformers in general just don't go well together.