G1 Canadian Slag (red face) NOT a Prototype

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Kenobi-bot, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Kenobi-bot

Kenobi-bot 3 Igear MP Protos FTW

Hello everyone!

This post is coming a little later than hope for. I had to diligently check every angle of possibilities before making this post.

Here is the auction in question: Transformers G1 Prototype Red / White DINOBOT SLAG - eBay (item 150421368443 end time Mar-14-10 16:54:02 PDT)

This auction is for a Canadian version of a G1 Slag.
    As most of you know this item is pretty hard to come by, and cherished by many collectors as a "grail" piece.

The seller has listed this as a prototype with a long explanation as an attempt to back up that claim.

Nothing could be further away from the truth.

I am a HUGE collector of Dinobots. To be completely honest, I had consider self-proclaiming myself "The Dino-King" but had decided not to since I don't own Dinoking yet, LMAO. The rest of my Dinos could probably make someone's head pop off. ;) 

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is there is very little (if any) information about any Dinobot, or variation of such, that I don't know about.

Again, this is NOT a prototype. I have compared the pictures provided to my very own Canadian Slag with unused sticker sheet, and they are an exact match (except for the fact mine is in FAR better condition).

This post is not to discredit the seller at all. This is pertinent information for anyone and everyone interested in Dinobots, prototypes, and/or the auction mentioned.

I feel very bad for the top bidder of this auction. You are about to get SEVERELY ripped off. :( 

Heads up people! Not everything is as it may appear.

Knowledge is power. Don't be screwed over by ignorance.

2. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The seller is a respected poster on these boards, pretty sure he knows what he's selling and i believe has sold genuine prototypes before.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. Kenobi-bot, why don't you send him a PM and ask for clarification?

TheSpacebridge's Profile - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

4. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Seller implies that this may not have any differences from the Canadian version. From the auction:
    And besides, even if they were identical, that doesn't preclude it from being a prototype. Rather, it would just be a very uninteresting prototype :) 

I don't think there's reason to make such a big deal about this auction.

5. Kenobi-bot

I know who the seller is, and I have spoken with him personally.

As stated in the original post, this is not meant to discredit, or to defame his character as a person at all.
    Let's not muddy this up.

This post is about the item currently up for auction, and ONLY about said item.

I am not here to debate whether or not this seller was given false data about this item. Nor am I debating anything else that he sells. I'm fully aware that he does sell authentic prototypes, and other various items of significant rarity. That's not the point.

The point was, and still is, the item for sale is not a prototype.
    Yet, in all actuality, I can not say whether or not whomever wins this will be "ripped-off".
    The person that wants it the most will put their own worth on it.

I am not attempting to give this any more attention than it deserves. I feel it was necessary to make sure the correct information pertaining to this item was available.

I do hope this helps to clarify things.

6. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    First all I can say is that Paul is a stand up guy who knows more about prototypes than anyone I know. But lets just stick to what you are referring to. This Slag. I can tell you that I own many prototypes and some you would not know it unless you compared them to a production piece. Some differences may just be mold lines which you could not see in the pictures provided. Some are just different shades of paint which also, you might not be able to see in a picture. I am not griping at you for pointing out your disbelieve, I am only saying that the differences may be so slight that you cannot tell. I for one trust Paul but that is just my opinion.

7. Kenobi-bot

Well then...Believe what you like.

No one wants to listen? Discredit my knowledge? Think I'm attacking the sellers reputation?

Next time I'll just bite my tongue until blood fills my mouth. Obviously it's better to stay silent than to upset the sheep.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No-one in this thread has "discredited your knowledge". They have simply pointed out that Hitch is a big time seller who knows an insane amount about prototypes. I've seen some of the stuff he has in person, and his collection made MY head pop off.
    If he says this is a proto I would be inclined to believe him, because he genuinely DOES know what he's talking about.
    And that is basically ALL people have been saying. There's no need to get insulting over it, as you already have.

9. Snotwiper

Snotwiper Decepticon Snotwiper : )

Ebay:
    You guys need to chill out for one. Kenobi-bot was right in saying what he said. Not to say anything about anyone personally- I don't know many people here, but the guy even said that he wasn't sure if it was or not as he did not have a Canadian Slag to compare it to. From an outside view, I think that the word "prototype should have been excluded from the title. I own 2 Canadian slags and I am constantly watching for other auctions to compare to. I watched an auction for a Canadian slag on bubble go for less than this item did. I am a firm believer that if you are sure if it is a prototype, then don't say it. Do your research, then list it as accurately as you can. By the way... Prototypes come with stickers? I was unaware of that... Can anyone clarify that for me? I also own a few prototypes, and mine didn't have stickers... Just wondering. Nothing personal to anyone. I just dislike innaccurately titled auctions.

10. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He may very well be right, but he needs proof to back up what he's saying. Photos for example, as opposed to -

Doesn't really mean much, does it?

WRONG! Here is what The Spacebridge actually says in the auction -

See, it doesn't say if he's unsure if it's a proto, only what the differences are between the two.

Excellent! How about posting some pics? So we can compare with the ones in the auction. :) 

11. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I own a G1 Canadian Slag junker and I can spot one major difference between it and the one listed in the eBay auction: the plastic part of Slag's chest cavity door appears to be hand-painted rather than spray-painted a solid red like the regular G1 Slag.