G1/BW unexplained plots?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Star Cracker, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I was in the shower one day (well no, not really) and was thinking about what exactly happened to the Autobot Matrix of Leadership / Creation Matrix / whatever the hell you want to call it, and am curious. Is there any official explanation as to what happened to this?

On top of that, whatever happened to the 'lineage' of Primes? I mean, seriously, there are about five or six known Primes from the Dreamwave and IDW series (including Alpha Prime, Guardian Prime, Sentinel Prime, Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime, and Nova Prime), but what happened to them? Who is the Maximals' Prime?
    I guess it's not Lio Convoy or Big Convoy (a pity, but oh well).

Btw speaking of Lio and Big Convoy, are they related to Optimus Prime? I only have the Third Source Book for Beast Wars and need to track down the first two.

Also, asides from Grimlock and Ravage, are there any other reformatted Autobots and Decepticons? I believe Prowl, Ironhide and Silverbolt (the Aerialbot commander) are listed as having been reformatted into Maximals.

2. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

dosnt big convoy have a matrix?
    there is a rumor that Waspy is Shrapnel
    Arcee got a spider upgrade in the botcon comics
    the g1 preds look to have bw bodies in the timelines comic
    i assume laserbeak/buzzsaw's E divebomb bodies are supposed to be BW

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'll be bringing in some of the Japanese continuity here as well, though a lot of this isn't fully explained.

No official explanation. Big Convoy and Lio Convoy both have Matrixes, as does Liojunior (his split off from Lio Convoy's).
    The BW Neo anime had a Convoy council, with each Convoy possessing a Matrix. In that series, the Matrices provided links to Vector Sigma as a part of their role as Matrix of Leadership. At least, Big Convoy's appeared to. It's possible the original Matrix was divided, or was only ever one of many. Not fully explained.

Convoy council. The leader was probably the Prime. Convoy is Prime in Japan, so it's possible that Lio Convoy could be the Prime. He's certainly the most Prime-like of all the Maximal leaders.

Only in name, like Optimus Primal and BW Megatron. They are part of a long line of Convoys / Primes who occupy leadership positions.
    Incidentally, Longrack is also descended from a line of Giraffe Primes, according to a BW Neo manga.

As far as I know it's only those five. I'd rather the BW generation characters be completely unrelated apart from Ravage, but to my knowledge it is only those five who are definitely connected. Going on the original tech specs, Transmetal 2 Owl Prowl was meant to be the same guy as G1, although it was left open enough to suggest he just had a deep admiration for G1 Prowl and tried to emulate him in all ways.

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Specifically, though, it should be noted that the Matrices in JP-BW are "Energon Matrices," which are different things to the Matrix of Leadership.

5. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    Pretty hard with him being Thrust later on

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Waspinator's not Shrapnel, he just hit his head one time and thought he was Shrapnel.

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i believe that was true too, wasnt it?

8. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    These questions are one of the reasons they should have never tried to link Trukk to Monkey.

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that Ironhide and Prowl died in the '86 movie so they can't have been reformatted into a Maximals — at least not in the American cartoon continuum.

10. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

thing is, I believe that Furman stated BW kind of chose what elements of the various G1 continuities that they liked, so Prowl and Ironhide aren't dead in every G1 continuity.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Even if they were dead, its not like Transformers don't go back from the dead every other minute. I always liked the idea of BW Prowl being G1 Prowl despite the Prowl toy being pretty bad.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Definitely. I personally loved the idea of Magnaboss being three of the most renowned G1 heroes: Ironhide, Prowl, and Silverbolt (with the Fuzor Silverbolt bearing his name, much like Primal and Prime or BW and G1 Megs. Same for TM2 Prowl).

The Tripredacus council being established as having a senior leadership position made it even better for me to have a Maximal paralell. And I always wondered what might have happened to the other Aerialbots--if they went their own ways after the War, or if the older gestalts were outlawed as in the War Within stories.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Really?

I thought that tie, even though it was a little inconsistent at times, was hands down one of the best parts of BW. Really brought us full circle--and yeah, there are questions about it, but hell, when hasn't that been the case with Transformers fiction?

14. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    Nope because if you tie BW to G1 you have to go with BM and that had a horrible ending. Yeah the end of a really cool race of giant robots was to become organic with their plant, I just do't like the ending at all.

15. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

G1 had a lot of loose ends. Columbo would have an aneurysm with the show.

Such as a lot of the human characters. Raoul vanishes almost as fast as he shows up, Sparkplug just disappears... did he die between S2 and the movie? Dr Arkeville we can assume was parylized.. then we have the girl who loved Powerglide, whom one would assume to be a good ally tot he Autobots as she was rich, but... no mention again.

Or odd crap like the prehistoric island, the time cave back to Camelot...

Then that "Hasbroverse" crap which can't work at all even with massive retconning and ignoring of certain visual and plot elements. Even loosely fitting TF and GI Joe(assuming that ALL GI Joe eps take place prior to the 1984 awakening), there's the matter of why all the laser blasters vanished and went back to bullet firing weapons... and forget sticking COPS into continuity as-is. Funny that no one would make even a passing mention of giant transforming robots in the year 2020.

Then there was that other show, but I could say that Hector Ramirez, in an investigative report on drugs, did LSD to experience the effects first-hand and hallucinated the whole thing.

I try not to think too hard on continuity issues like this as the writers didn't seem to put a lot of effort into it at the time.

16. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I think we always have to tie in things by ourselves, Sol explained a lot of things. Also it doesn't change tha fact that Beast Wars rocked.

17. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I treat all of the GIJoe/Transformers matchups as alternate universes, similar to Marvel's "What If...?" and DC's "Vertigo" brands. Not really in continuity with anything else.

And, like everything else within the fandom, we can choose to ignore any particular part that we don't like. So if Beast Machines isn't for you, then it didn't happen. BW ended where the show says it ended.

For me, I like the connection between G1 and BW (even given the flaws), but don't care for the ending to BM, so I consider it an alternate timeline to G1/BW.

18. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Well-Known Member

This is all the aftermath of irresponsible use of the Toykai power (the ultimate power up beyond Bankai (Bleach), SS-4 (DB-GT) and a raised debt ceiling (Congress)).

At any rate, GiJoe crossing over to Transformers isn't something we can just lay at the feet of Sunbow or Marvel (never mind the Spiderman crossover) as someone upstairs had to imagine that it was all a good idea.

If it weren't for one Season 3 episode (where Cobra Commander actually shows up) we wouldn't even be having this conversation about the G1 Cartoon ... that, or maybe I was just lucky enough to avoid seeing those crossover episodes.

Still, like Highlander 2, the damage has been done.

The easiest way to contend with it all is just to ignore Marvel Comics for both GiJoe and Transformers. If you only deal with the different cartoon series you have much less cross contamination and it becomes easier to cope with. After all, the exact nature of Cobra in the Season 3 episode isn't revealed. Even the Cobra tech used against the Autobots is off from the way it appeared in the actual GiJoe cartoon.

So something like Cobra and GiJoe existed in the background of the G1 cartoon; but, these were apparently unimportant to either the Bots of Cons ... 'no mechanoid life forms involved' to borrow and adapt a rather disgraceful phrase.

19. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it was talking like that that made hasbro decide transtech was a bad idea

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Well, I'll try to answer your questions as literally as I feel is possible. Also, I have never seen the Japanese series, but from what I'm told, the series were not as good, and lacked continuity, with the American Beast series.

The easy answer is: we're probably putting more thought into this than the writers did. Moreover, maybe the writers intentionally left things vague about the Matrix and the Primes, so that they could bring in Prime or the Matrix in later seasons. No reason to state he's alive or dead, so they might have wanted to keep that bridge unburned.

So Optimus Prime is either alive or dead at the (present) time of Beast Wars (before Primal traveled back in time). If Prime is dead, the show offers no answers to how that happened. I guess we can assume Prime passed the Matrix to someone else, and now someone else is the Matrix-carrying leader of the Autobots/Maximals.

If Optimus is alive, then I guess we can assume he's still the Matrix-carrier.

Considering that the real leader of the Autobots/Maximals never makes himself known in the series, we really don't know if it's Optimus or Some Other Prime. Remember, Primal was just commander of the crew of the Axalon. Personally, I'd like to think G1 Prime is dead at that time. I think it's only natural that characters live and die and not be stuck in a never-ending series. American BW did a great job showing us that change is good, and it just sits better to have a completely new cast with G1 Prime long dead.

Moreover, there are statues of Prime on Cybertron. And Primal and Megatron regard Prime as such a legendary, mythical figure, it's more like they met a long-dead legend than someone they would see all the time on Cybertron.