G1 Bumblebee Questions.. Please help :)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bijorn, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Bijorn

Bijorn Member

Hey guys.. I'm new here as you can see and wanted to get your feedback on a purchase I made today for a G1 Bumblebee figure I purchased. I really do not have much knowledge about identifying G1 Transformers toys, but have been doing some research on them.

First, I know that the toy I bought is an original G1 Bumblebee because the hole punch is off-centered to the right. The back bumper tailpipe is not colored black, but yellow. Finally, there are no Chinese stickers indicating it's a re-issue.

My questions are these. Knowing that my toy is a pre-rub version, is this the earlier type than the ones with a rub on it? I believe it is a 1984 one, but the box says 1985?

Secondly, looking at its condition, would it be a good idea to send it to AFA for grading? I do not know anything about AFA, how they grade, and how much it would be for me to have it graded.

Lastly, probably the most important question, what do you think is a fair market value for this toy.

THanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

3. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It also has the 2004 remolded head, not the original.

4. Bijorn

Bijorn Member

Dang, well that sux. The guy who sold me this toy told me that this was the original 1984 US version and told me that it was his only original one (the others he said were KO). So how much is this figure worth?

5. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
  6. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    The pre-rub Bumblee was packaged in car mode. Also, the bubble should be positioned at the lower right edge of the card. The grid lines of the card should be silver gray, not black. And yes, the toy in question does have the tfc/encore head.

7. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
  8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Besides the wrong head, if the one was pre-rub, it probably woudn't have a photo of the toy with a rubsign & the 1985 art on the back

9. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I feel bad for the Op and he should contact Ebay, but why do people research an item after they buy it and not before?

10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they don't spend large amounts of time on these boards or somewhere like here they simply may not be aware of the prevalence of KO's out there.

But it is interesting that he came here so concerned about the market value. I just hope he didn't get horribly overcharged for that thing. If he did it would be worth contacting ebay.

11. combaticon164

You can easily google authentic G1 Bumblebee and theres websites like highendtfs.com that shows you the differences between the real ones and fakes.

12. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i want a little G1 bumblebee... i shoulda ordered one from chimungmung with my ko shockwave...

13. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
  14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Just the figure having the cartoon-style head when everything printed on the card shows a completely different head should've tipped the OP off immediately to something suspect, at least enough to come ask for advice/information before paying out.

Let's hope the OP gets their money back (link to this page if you need to show ebay all the things incorrect with this item). But since selling KOs is against their rules any dispute shouldn't be too hard to resolve.

And hopefully next time the OP will do a little more research before buying. Coming and asking at TFW is considered 'research' :) 

15. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone else see the irony in this statement, given the nature of the original post?

16. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is why I hate those G1 KO's of the Diaklone cars, Dinobots etc sure its nice to have a perfect reproduction but too often people are tricked like this guy. Such a shame.

17. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    honestly, Ebay protects against counterfiet and knock offs sold as originals, so if he DID pay almost $200 for that he will get his money back.

That said...It takes almost NO time to google things and find out a little info about something. I mean..it IS $200 there on Ebay..So if I were to shell out $200..I would find out a few things.

Both are at fault, But the buyer has ebay protecting him this time if indeed that was the purchase made.

18. Bijorn

Bijorn Member

Hey guys.. Sorry to be absent for a week. I was doing some research on how to tell the difference between an original G1 and KO's. I think I know what to look for now for the most part. Thanks to all who have helped me out with the Bumblebee! I really mean it! I bought the toy for $135 and returned the toy with no problems, so everything is all good now :) .

I know I should've done more research about the toy before buying it, but decided to take a chance on it after looking at a few websites and youtube videos. I guess those website I visited were not really reliable as they told me that what I had was in fact an original G1 Bumblebee. I could've believe how identical the KO's were to the original! They look identical!

Oh I had an experience this past weekend going to a collectible show. I saw a dealer selling MISB G1 TF's and thought they were actually originals but the box looked too perfectly minty fresh. I asked the guy if those were originals and he said that they were KO's (I'm glad he was honest with me ). I read on the Comprehensive G1 Counterfeit website that one way of telling between an original boxed G1 and a KO is in the "ages" section below the box. They mentioned that if it has a colon, it's original, and if it only has a period than it's a KO. The TF's I saw at the dealer's area all had a colon on them.
    My question is, what other marks or identifications can I rely on in MISB G1 TF's to tell whether they are the originals or KO's (at least for autobot cars)? I didn't look at the back of the box to see if they had the abbreviated copyright. But what if it wasn't abbreviated? Than what? Thanks again!

19. combaticon164

I am glad you got your money back. Theres a lot of ways to tell the packed fakes compared to the real ones. When they are loose it gets trickier.

20. Bijorn

Bijorn Member

Yeah especially when they are loose. I read somewhere that with loose toys, you would need to look at the manufacturing stamp on the toy. If it is complete (I believe it should say something like "Takara 1985 Hasbro Ltd..." I'm wondering also how to tell between an original weapon/part and bubble from a KO one/reproduction?