1. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

Hey just a quick question that im sure someone can awnser. I have the G1 series on VHS still i know but i am just wondering if i should get the G1 dvd boxset but i am not sure if it is worth it. Also what other extras does that G1 boxset contain?

2. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was just about to ask the same question.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Which one? There are several.

4. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Isn't Sony doing another release to coincide with the upcoming movie?

5. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
  7. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Well then. That's much better pricing than I was finding away from ebay.

8. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Cool thanks for the help.

Does anyone own or actually seen the 'Transformers 20th Anniversary Limited Complete Collection 25 DVD Set' because it looks quite a nice box with loads of cool free stuff.

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Even with all the "bonus" stuff they're offering with that set, it still wouldn't be worth the price tag plus shipping to me. Especially since I already own some of their "bonus" gifts. Also, I don't believe there's anything that could be genuinely "special" about a TF shopping bag. I have some TF bags I bought on clearance at TRU for like fifty cents a piece.

And I bought all my TF DVD sets pre-owned for 50% and more less than retail.

My "advice" is if this sort of set really appeals to you and you have the money for it, go for it. But if you're just wanting the G1 series on DVD, have patience and get the inevitable Sony releases that will tie-in with the theatrical and later DVD release of the feature film.

10. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Has there been a release date for these yet? I mean I would get the Limited edition one but it says it in Chinese so that has thrown me of a bit. But I was looking at the [​IMG] Is this one a nice box set or should I wait? I just want a really nice set with some nice little extras :) 

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    There has only been one official release of G1 on DVD and it was from Rhino. They are in multiple sets. You have Season 1, Season 2 Part 1, Season 2 Part 2, Season 3 Part 1, and Season 3 Part 2/Season 4. Any other set is an unoffical knock off.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    No, Rhino's have been the only official US DVD releases to date.

Metrodome's UK TF DVD releases are officially licensed product, and I'm sure someone else will give better details on this but there were official TF DVD releases in Japan also.

Again I say, have patience--I have the utmost confidence that Sony will re-release the G1 TV series all in good time. They'd be foolish to sit on such a hot property when the marketing juggernaut for the movie and later DVD release of said movie is unleashed in full force.

And if the movie is successful (which I'm also confident it will be, whether TF diehards like it or not), the producers have already announced they want to do a movie trilogy. If Sony doesn't capitalize on that kind of exposure and re-issue the G1 series on DVD, they'd be the biggest morons in the history of the entertainment industry.

13. case_sensitive

case_sensitive Ravage for President

Unfortunately, stupidity is in large supply in entertainment circles...I've seen companies fail way too many times to strike while the iron is hot because they couldn't their act together and clear the way to release product that fans want. (Typically, it's because of legal issues that they should've worked out beforehand.)

So in the meantime, I'm humming and hawing over the questionable Chinese set and the UK release. The Asian one is definitely more affordable and, if I'm not mistaken, an NTSC release, which means I can share it with my fellow R1 fans. But rumblings about an episode being only available with a Chinese soundtrack really irks me. (I'm a very big stickler for original language.)

That leaves the UK release, which looks like it has nice bonus features and is officially licensed. My only hesitations about this set are that it's PAL format (I can play it no problem but my friends can't) and it's pricier than the Chinese release.

I've read the thread on the Chinese set and noted the positive things fans have had to say about it, so I'm hoping to hear feedback from fans who have the UK release. Any thoughts you can share--positive or otherwise--would be most welcome.

TIA,

-= CS =-

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Wrong. There have been several official releases in other regions. Hell, if you want to get technical, the box sets aren't even the only official releases in the US. Rhino also released the discs individually, and they also released The Ultimate Doom and Rebirth a couple of years before the box sets came out.

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Well, I was only talking about US releases when I posted that. Didn't pay enough attention to the OPs location. I was also only talking about boxed set releases since that was what the original question was about. Individually released discs do not a boxed set make.

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    They already are -_-