Minor/Repaint: G1 Blurr W.I.P.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by VectorPrime404, Feb 6, 2011.

1. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

A few months ago I acquired a G1 Blurr figure. If you're going for cartoon accuracy, he's the closest match. Mold-wise, anyway. But as with a good chunk of his fellow TFTM characters, his colouration doesn't match. I decided to fix that. This is the beta version of the paint job. It was rushed, because I was in a hurry to have him in his cartoon colours. I am in the process of re-doing the paint. Repeat, I am in the process of re-doing the paint. And in case you didn't read it the first two times, I am in the process of re-doing the paint. EDIT: Paint re-done. Last attached picture is most current. That's it on Blurr for now, I've moved on to some more extensive customs: Articulating G1 Mirage, and upgrading G1 Hot Rod.

EDIT 2: Paint re-redone. Sorry about the white portion of his chest, the plastic there got badly chipped and wouldn't paint smoothly. I'll have to grab one of those "make your own" sticker blanks for this one, it seems. I modified the shield so that he can hold it properly. Last two images are most current. I apologize for the quality, I'm currently stuck with the AIPTEK again. Waste of plastic and wire can't focus on the right thing worth a damn, the light filters are worthless...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vehicle mode. Not much difference here, apart from the colours.
    [​IMG]
    Robot mode. Note that I've also added his cheek intakes and the panel from the top of his helmet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note that his gun is gray, as per the show. The one paint change I still need to make is to paint his feet silver as well. EDIT: Done that too.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I mean ... I really don't want to hurt your feelings :confused:  but paint looks very rough :rolleyes2 

If you want I could repaint it for free, only shipping cost ;) 

Sorry if I offended you in any way, but just want to see that Blurr shining :2c: 

(but most important is that you like it!! just like I like mine and others may think differently)

3. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

The paint is rough in parts, yes, although I've done worse. I am going to touch it up soon enough. Looks better than before, though, doesn't it?

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Well if there were any before & after pics :D  maybe LOLZ

I don't even own the toy and only vaguely remember the TF movie :p 

5. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Yeah, the paint job itself is rough, but the colors are great! Very accurate. Nice job.

6. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    The color selection is spot on, but I'd like to give you a few painting pointers, if I may. I see that you're using craft paint. That stuff is always a little rough to work with on a figure unless you thin it down a lot. You can use water, but since I'm guessing that you picked that paint up in a craft store, you can probably get acrylic medium. That with water should get your paint down to a viscosity that can work better on a figure.
    Now, since that stuff isn't designed to go on plastic you're going to have to help it. The best way is to give the figure an all-over sanding with a high grit sand paper- 400 is good. Sand in a circular motion all over making sure that you're keeping it even. Then clean all of your sanding dust off with 90 percent rubbing alcohol (can be found at the dollar store) or mineral spirits (hardware store). That will prep the surface nicely.
    Once you've got that done, lay on your paint with multiple thin coats. This can really test your patience, but it works. Craft paint is a beast to get an even coating with, so you really have to go slow.
    I see that you're having a problem with getting clean lines between your colors. The only way to do that is to let the lighter color dry first then paint on the darker one. If they're both wet, they will run together and smear.
    Also, it looks like you might be working with too big a brush to get those little details in (like on the engines). Coughing up the money for a good tiny brush is always a pain, but it's so worth it. There's just no other way to get in those little details.
    Well, there I go rambling on again. Sorry if I'm being too much of a gas bag.

7. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    I just thought of this, when I was in high school and couldn't afford good small brushes, I would tightly twist up bits of paper into little brushes and use them for my little details. I'm not saying that you need to resort to those measures. I just thought that it was relevant.

8. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I do have a small brush, and that was what I used for the engine details. But I didn't apply any masking tape as a guide. I did do most of what you said, though, apart from thinning the paint. What I've got is fairly thin already. If I thin it it'll end up being about as useful for this as watercolours. I think one more coat will be enough to clean things up.

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The coating is pretty thick already. I like the color scheme but it does need cleaning up. My suggestion would be to strip it and mask off the sections. Then do the dry brush method and paint like that trying to get a nice even coat. Also using a plastics primer would help too.

I'm sure you have many factors. Is your paint selection due to costs or finding the proper ones?

Don't feel bad at any suggestions either. I still listen in my art jobs because anything to help improve is awesome for me.

10. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

My paint selection is due to both reasons. I'll touch this up soon, after I'm done with Hot Rod, who is currently undergoing more extensive modification.

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I figured (been there). Dry the dry brush with those paints (not sure if it'll work but it can't hurt). I think that and masking will change the outcome a bit more.

12. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I do dry brush, it's just that this was somewhat rushed. I wanted to bury Hasbro's major-league colour goof ASAP.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is some spot on advice. I really like the color palette, but the application is really rough. It's certainly fixable, though! Keep working on it! :thumb 

14. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

You ever try Tamiya acrylic paints? They are quite a step up on craft paints. Let me know as I might be able to help.

15. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I would love to get my hands on higher-end acrylics like that, but I'm outta cash. Could you tell me what the difference is between those and the acrylics I'm currently using?

16. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you'll find out for yourself :)  I will send you some jars of the Tamiya acrylic paints no charge. I just need your shipping address PM'd to me. The tamiya acrylics are naturally pretty thin but you can still thin them even more with alcohol (about 97 cents at walmart).

17. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Thanks.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I agree with everything Tom Servo said.

Also, I know some people rag on craft acrylics a lot, but I for one think you can equally good results with them as you can with the more expensive brands, as long as you know how to use them. As thin as you may think they are, a little water will help a lot. I always say the consistency you want to go for is that of milk; you want it nice and wet so it flows, but not quite watery.
    It won't cover in one coat, or most likely even in two. But it will go on much more smoothly, without leaving brushstrokes in the surface of the paint. Several of these thin coats will eventually get you the smooth coverage you're after - it'll take longer, but it's totally worth the effort.

19. caretaker27

caretaker27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The color selection is wonderful. It really makes the figure look so much better. The paint does look rough though, which does not let your hard work shine. I would look into other paints personally. At the end of the day though, if you are satisfied that is most important. Just keep the coats of paint light and even, get friendly with maskin tape, and you should see improvements. Great work.

20. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I'm cleaning up the paint at this moment. Ramrider, do you think I should just ditch the arm stickers?