G1 Bluestreak Theories

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Primevil, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    This came about as I was looking at my Hasbro Bluestreak reissue on my shelf today. It got me thinking about how, back when reissues were new, I had thought of kitbashing a blue Bluestreak from a spare Bluestreak and Smokescreen (since Smokescreen had white legs).

Then I started thinking. G1 Bluestreak was going to be blue Bluestreak based on his box and catalog photos. The all-silver vehicle deco was created by Hasbro. Prowl, blue Bluestreak, Anime Streak, and Smokescreen were all Diaclone toys.

Is it possible that Hasbro changed Bluestreak's deco because there was another blue and white (and red) Datsun 280ZX deco to use in the future?

Which begs the question: why use most of the Anime Streak deco? Bluestreak is identical except for the lack of black paint.

Which also begs the question: why not create a new deco for the Smokescreen mold when it gets used? Hasbro did that for Red Alert, who would have been a second Police car if they used his Diaclone deco.

What does anyone think? Is my theory plausible? Anyone have any better theories?

(Mods, if this should be in Toyark, feel free to move it. I felt TFGD was appropriate because it dealt more with one of G1's urban legends more than the toy itself.)

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    My own theory is that someone at Hasbro decided that mix-matched colors (blue/silver) would make the vehicle mode look like a car that had been engaged in an accident.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe a little cost-cutting, or some production issue cropped up at the time which dictated a change?

Either way, I find it interesting that the catalog/box/instructions went with one Diaclone deco, the Cartoon went with another, and the toy itself went a third way (essentially just the 'anime' version with the black stripe removed for an all-silver scheme)

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... there's a vintage Datsun ZX that parks a block away from my place. It is EXACTLY in the original Bluestreak colours... the ones from the manual and catalogues. I get a kick out of it every time I see it on the street.

Some day, I'm going to sneak out and slap a big Autobot crest on the hood and take a picture. :) 

Just thought I'd throw that in there. Carry on. :) 

zmog

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Mine is similar in that I think that while two-tone paint jobs on the Z were not uncommon, somebody thought that a uniform color would be better, and silver was/is a popular color so they went with that, eschewing both the silver/black and blue/silver paint jobs that had Takara precedent.
    That and I suppose in addition it might have been easier/cheaper to ditch the added color and go with the pre-existing silver or blue base color respectively instead of say, green, for the whole car...which begs the question, since he was dubbed Bluestreak, why wasn't he at least all blue?

6. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    The name might have been selected because of his original blue and silver deco, but they probably also kept it because of his personality.

The name was appropriate for his original deco, but still fit because of the personality they gave him.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I assume the order was color -> name -> personality.

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some additional chatting on this:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=149151

Quoting myself from that thread: