G1 Blaster

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BigRC83, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I have notice that all of the G1 Blasters I encounter do not open their tape deck door. Are there versions of this toy that were not meant to have their tape deck doors open?

2. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

I think the workings for the door to open was just really fragile... broke a lot ?

3. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Vintage Soundwave and Blaster tape decks break easly if they havn't been taken care of.

4. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    The one I bought off ebay a few months ago didn't work, but when I took it apart, nothing inside was broken. It's just that the parts need some lubrication. So I put some plastic model grease that came with a BttF Delorean model I bought several years go on the parts. Now it works, but it's still a little hard to do.

5. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Can anybody post instructions on how to fix the figure?

6. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have any pics, but I've been in there before, and the problem really is just that it's a terribly designed little piece in there... there's some flat leaf springs that have the fit behind the buttons, and while I cannot remember exactly what it looks like, the part that actually opens the door is separate and sort of rides the motion of the buttons and slides back, but it very easily comes off its alignment and stops working.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm normally pretty well mechanically minded, but when I opened up a secondhand Blaster to try and fix the problem of a stuck door (I knew there was a Rewind figure hiding in there and I wanted it out, dammit!) I just couldn't work out why some bits were the way they were. Nothing was broken and putting everything back in place didn't fix the problem. Eventually I took the plunge and purposely snapped off a small piece (can't remember which bit) and after that the door worked perfectly.
    I don't have any internal pictures 'cos this was ages ago, but I do remember it was a sod to get the spring to stay in place when putting things back together.

8. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    That's the truth! My Blaster as a kid broke so soon after getting it that I thought I imagined that I had it open once. I seriously didn't think that it actually opened until I got into collecting as an adult.

9. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I'm pretty sure Blaster was originally released with an unopening door (before the autobot tapes were released) and the after his first run with an opening door, but it is VERY DIFFICULT to open the door, using the far right button. It feels like you're going to break the door in trying to open it and takes some struggles. I have at least 1 whose door will open but only after a little battle.

His door is nothing at all like Soundwave's.

10. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

And if you have one of the non-opening Blasters, good chances are your far right button is broken from someone trying to open it. Mine suffers from that.

11. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    How do you tell if you have a non-opneing Blaster or one with just a broken door? I still have my original one from when I was a kid and I'd kinda like to know.

And is ther any extra value added if it's one of the original ones that the door didn't open on?

12. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

The tapes were always planned, but there was an assembly error at the factory on many early Blasters.

...or so says the TF Wiki.

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I actually wrote that. I read it elsewhere, so I'm amending it to *possible* misassembly issue until there's more hard evidence.

14. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    My Microchange Blaster says different on both counts.

The door has always had an opening mechanism, you need to open it in order to remove the "Radi-Casseste" if only to change its batteries, or else to use it as a stand-alone walkman (Which is actually kinda laughable)

The speaker-plug makes the inside too tight to actually hold a casette (despite radi-cassette being way chunkier than a standard tape), once Hasbro removed the plug there was plenty of room, and they may have had tapes on the drawing board for the *TF* version from day one (Which I would dispute based on Blaster's pre-movie tape-door opening scenes), but he was NOT designed to accept normal tape-bots.

Also, my FAVORITE mystery-design feature on blaster is the round-holes in his gun, they're there so that you can attach his mono-earphone to them when he's in robot mode.

D/L