g1 blaster question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyko-Destructo, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Cyko-Destructo

Cyko-Destructo Rock-Lord

i have only had the pivilage of handiling 1 copy of g1 blaster other than my own, and my question is. does the cassette door open? the buttons have seemed stuck and the door completely sealed, is it just me, does blkaset have a reputation for doorjams? was it a design flaw or an odd coincidence?

just wondering

my soundwave opens and closes just fine

2. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Yeah he does, but it was a poorly designed aspect of the toy and breaks more commonly than not.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

mine broke, but i was able to fix it, just by resetting everything, it's quite easy. though i don't know if the hard copy would even have all the gears/springs in it.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    As I remember, there was no individual "eject" button, you just kinda mash down on the set of buttons which were all connected. But yes, the door does open!

5. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    When I was in 6th grade(in 1985) my best friend had one and yeah, it was a PAIN to open. You have to press SO HARD on the button to open it that you risked breaking it every time. So be very careful.

Subsequent reissues have fixed the problem though, my E-Hobby Twincast cassette door opens very easily.

6. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Actually, the door opens and closes quite easily...in theory.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the reason this is such a problem was due to a manufacturer's defect: this small metal part was systematically installed BACKWARDS on the toy, which completely crippled the cassette door's ability to properly open.

If you want to try repairing your Blaster, I could try taking one of the ones I fixed apart and posting images so you'll know how to put everything back together. His internal mechanisms make so little sense to me that it's hard figuring out how to put him together correctly, working or not. :p 

Iron Maniac's right though: even fixed, you have to press down quite hard on the button to get it to open.

7. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

i've got 3 or 4 blasters with the door problem, i'd love to see a pictoral walkthrough on how to fix it.

8. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    HOLY CRAP MY BLASTER DOOR FINALLY OPENS!!! For the first time...ever, & I've had this one since it came out in the 80s. After reading this I finally got the gumption to take mine apart and see if I could fix it.

I've read in thread after thread about the problem being a small plastic piece being put in backwards & if that's the case it should be pretty obvious as soon as you get him open. I agree that it is an overly complicated mechanism for what it's supposed to do, but it only takes a basic understanding of "cause & effect mechanics" to figure out what piece is supposed to do (I spent roughly 10 minutes fixing mine).

After I spent a few minutes figuring out exactly what each piece was supposed to do, I concluded that mine was put together properly to begin with however the pieces were just not doing what they were supposed to do... easy fix: LUBRICANT! I took a Q-tip with a little cooking oil and swabbed it over the areas that were supposed to slide back & forth with the push of the buttons, worked them back & forth a few times, & voila... working door!

If Blaster is facing you the button on the left is the "eject button" the center buttons are the "stop buttons" and the one on the right is "play". When you push the play button it should stay down, press the center buttons to release the latch that holds the play button down.... in theory at least, mines not so smooth yet. I'm gonna take him back apart and apply some proper lube when I get some and that should help. I only used the cooking oil because that was all I had handy and I just wanted some proof of concept.

When I take him back apart I'll take some pics and post em for you guys, in the mean time I hope this helped.

"Now I am so happy I do the dance of joy!"</Perfect Strangers>

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Post it in Radicons General Discussion, so we can move it to the Tutorials forum. You can just link to it in this thread for those who'd look in here for it. :) 

10. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    NP :)  It might take me a bit, I've got quite a busy few days planned but as soon as I get time...

11. Cyko-Destructo

Cyko-Destructo Rock-Lord

thanks guys, ill have to try some of theese techniques out when i get home from work, it just seemed strange that i would have such a problem, it is the original 80s version so i dont want to try to hard but it would be nice to know it could open, maybe ill even try taking it apart as i am somewhat mechanically inclined, i just dont want to rick ruining the toy, as its likely the only original blaster ill ever own

anyway thanks again bot fans

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i lubed mine up too, it's not too hard to take apart and assemble,

13. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    i need someone to post a pic of the inside of this thing. where exactly does the spring go? I had his door working, but did'nt have his arms on, so when i put him back together the door did'nt work again.

wich piece is supposedly put in backwards from the factory? Blasters apart and i need help.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my screwdriver broke, but i will try to help, on the left side slider piece there is a tab or slot on the bottom (black piece) spring goes there, all hollow surfaces of the button black pieces face up, lubricate the eject button's black piece, and reassemmble
    hope that helps, i'll look for another one of my screwdrivers here if i can find them i will edit with pics

15. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    yeah i'm confused a bit if I could get pics that would rule ass.

16. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    where them pics at? holla! i need to fix my blaster.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i will look for my screwdriver tomorrow, if i can't find it i'll grab a new one and get pics for you

18. Book'm Sparxxx

Book'm Sparxxx Member

Okay mine had a problem when I got him about a month ago
    I hope we're taking about the same thing and that these pics help

Pic 1 is the piece removed and flipped over
    IMG_0166.JPG
    pic 2 completely assembled tooth pick pointing to spring
    IMG_0163.JPG
    pic 3 is same with the back side of the eject button removed
    IMG_0170.JPG

19. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    mine only has one spring in it. does anyone know where i can get another spring like that mabee a hardware store or home depot i dont know.

can you show more of pic with it all put together inside cause i cant quite see the bottom to see the black sliging piece that hits the long piece to open the door i wanna make sure mine is'nt broken.

20. Book'm Sparxxx

Book'm Sparxxx Member

Here's the back all together minus arms so I could see what I was doing
    IMG_0175.JPG
    Here's the two pieces that operate the door as they would be to be put back in
    IMG_0180.JPG
    I know someone's probably got a better solution for missing spring but you can use the spring out of an ink pen like this
    IMG_0185.JPG
    Both original springs are exactly the same so take the spring out of a pen, cut it to length, and put it in place of missing one.

Hope these help
    Book'm