G1 - Beast Wars character resemblance

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Its just for fun just a character resemblance G1-Beast Wars, it would be good if guys did the same thing, and who do you think its the best character resemblance.

Maximals:
    Optimal Optimus: Optimus Prime
    Rhinox: Wheeljack
    Dinobot: Grimlock
    Rattrap: Cliffjumper
    Cheetor: Hot Rod
    Tigertron: Prowl
    Depth Charge: Ironhide
    Airazor: Elita-One
    Silverbolt: Sideswipe
    Tigerhawk: Ultra Magnus
    Blackarachnia: Chromia

Predacons:
    Megatron: Megatron
    Scorponok: Soundwave
    Terrorsaur: Starscream
    Waspinator: Dirge
    Tarantulas: Insecticons(all three of them are the same)
    Blackarachnia: Skywarp
    Inferno: Thrust
    Quickstrike: Ramjet
    Rampage: Thundercracker
    Dinobot Transmental II: Cyclonus

Its just for fun

2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I remember distinctly thinking a similarity between Rhinox and Movie Ratchet.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I would find it hard to compare characters like Depth Charge and Blackarachnia as they don't really have a precedent in the original G1 series.

For me, Rhinox was an amalgamation of Ironhide, Ratchet and Wheeljack.

Really what I loved so much about Beast Wars is that the characters (most of them anyway) were so different to anything that had gone before. Primal for example, had a real character arc across the 3 seasons. No-one in G1 ever got so lucky.

Dinobot is kind of a cross between G1 Grimlock and Worf from Star Trek TNG. :D 

4. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

But Rattrap and Cheetor where the same as G1 Cliffjumper and G1 Hot Rod

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Nobody like Blackarachnia existed in G1. Least of all a brute Skywarp. I guess I missed all the epsidoes in G1 where Thundercracker was a sadistic, fear-mongering phycotic freak of science.

As said, BW characters don't really HAVE G1 counterparts, so it's difficult if not impossible to draw connections since, well, none really exist.

Not really. Not at all, actually.

Rattrap and Cheetor are incredibly complex charatcers. they may be the same charatcer archtype, but not the same at all. Cliffjumper is very two-dimensional, being just your average hothead "I LIKE FIGHT." Rattrap was mor ethan that. A skilled warrior, spy, kind of abbrassive (ESPECIALLY early on) and your basic shit-disturbing smart-allec action hero, who complained a lot.

Cheetor was, well, let's not sugar coat it, an idiot. But that's why we love him. He was implusive only when he had something to prove. Hot Rod was just impulsive... because. Cheetor also grew over time, not through magic. He also matured mentally, which was a big deal. He didn't become a super genius or anything, he just stopped making obvious mistakes. He also went through many phases, like is aformentioned foolhardiness, his infatuation and his frustrations towards his team, all of which he grew out of.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Sorry man, but no way was Rattrap anything like Cliffjumper. Cheetor was a kind of Bumblebee/Hot Rod Hybrid IMO.

Rattrap was totally unique up until that point.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Also, I fail to see how Grimlock and Dinobot are anything alike. Grimlock was an arrogant fool who was disloyal and insubordinate just 'cuz. Dinobot had a strong honour system and was disloyal because he had fundemental disagreements with Megatron's ideals. His distance in the Maximal ranks was because he wasnt one of them, not just because he was a jerk for the sake. He was a bad guy who was on the good guy's team. He had reasons for his actions, always. Grimlock was just a dumb punk.

8. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

depthcharge always sturkc me as being defcon the bounty hunter to be honest

9. nerovolpi

nerovolpi Actively Lurking

scorponok and soundwave? that's like, total nonsense >_>

10. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Point by point (just because I'm bored):

Maximals:
    Optimal Optimus: Optimus Prime Captain Obvious here, but the personalities don't quite match
    Rhinox: Wheeljack In function, yeah, but that's it
    Dinobot: Grimlock Split Lip covered this
    Rattrap: Cliffjumper See above
    Cheetor: Hot Rod And again
    Tigertron: Prowl ...how? Nature-loving warrior does not equal strategic prick. If anything, Tigatron's more like Hound
    Depth Charge: Ironhide Definitely not
    Airazor: Elita-One If Elita had a distinctive personality, I might have something here
    Silverbolt: Sideswipe Chivalry versus fighting for the pure hell of it. I do not know where you got this one
    Tigerhawk: Ultra Magnus Same here. How did you come up with this one?
    Blackarachnia: Chromia ...WHAT.

Predacons:
    Megatron: Megatron Captain Obvious strikes again! Even then, the two Megsies are very different beasts
    Scorponok: Soundwave On loyalty, yes. On skill, no.
    Terrorsaur: Starscream I think this is the only one you really got right
    Waspinator: Dirge This is clearly based on both characters dying a lot, and even then they don't really match (Dirge dies in different continuities, Waspinator is every episode)
    Tarantulas: Insecticons(all three of them are the same) They're not all the same. Bombshell is closest to Tarantulas, but that's not saying much
    Blackarachnia: Skywarp ...seriously, WHAT.
    Inferno: Thrust Nope. Thrust is all talk with little to back up his bragging. Inferno is just nuts.
    Quickstrike: Ramjet Sure they're both kinda dumb, but that's as close as they get
    Rampage: Thundercracker Pretty sure TC had never been a Hannibal Lecter-knockoff, let alone a monster co-erced into Megatron's team
    Dinobot Transmental II: Cyclonus Their only real connection is their loyalty to their respective commanders, but that's it. Maybe you can say DII's creation similar to Cyclonus', but that's straw-grasping if you ask me.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    The only one really close is Terrorsaur and Starscream. Only thing Dinobot and Grimlock had in comon in Beast Wars was the toy figure. One is a complex character, the other is a powerful idiot.

12. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Tigatron is more like Beachcomber.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Optimus Primal- Optimus Prime (duh)
    Cheetor- Hot Rod/Rodimus (As BB never did anything or showed leadership)
    Rhinox- Wheeljack (Engineer only)
    Rattrap- Gear (Very much of a pestimist)
    Dinobot- Grimlock (Both Dinosaurs who aren't trusted)
    Blackarachinda- Nightbird (Weren't any female Decepticons)
    Silverbolt- Springer (I dunno some sort of heroic vibe thing)
    Airazor- Arcee (Obvious answer is obvious)
    Tigartron- Beachcomber (Enviromentalist dude)
    Depthcharge- Devcon (Bounty Hunter)

Megatron- Megatron (uh duh)
    Terrorsaur- Starscream (Red Traitors)
    Waspinator- Dirge (Gets slagged repatedly)
    Tarantulas- Bombshell (Mad scientist)
    Scorponok- Lugnut (Well Lugnut's technically in G1)
    Blackarchidna- See Above
    Inferno- Soundwave (Loyality again)
    Quickstrike- Skywarp (Incompentance
    Rampage- Galvatron (Both insane)

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

What about using characters that have been retro fitted into G1 like WFC DEmolisher or from continuations from G1 like Robotmasters and Universe1? Also some G1 characters have different interpretaions. Budiansky, Tech Spec or Dreamwave Prowl is not a prick while Roche Prowl is Batman i.e. smarter and sneakier than everyone else. Furman Sunstreaker is a wimp while Universe/Dreamwave Sunstreaker is a badass. Do I need to mention Arcee?

Tigatron - Hound or Device Label Tigatron (the same guy)
    Cheetor - Hot Rod/Bluestreak
    Rattrap - Kup. Insubordinate, opinionated, skilled, both more annoying than Wheelie(to me at least)
    Silverbolt - Silverbolt
    Primal - Ultra Magnus
    Depth Charge - Furman Grimlock
    Black Arachnia - Shadow Striker. Changed sides though in opposite directions.
    Airrazor - ?
    Tigerhawk - Sunstorm. Powerful, dedicated to and created for a higher calling.

Terrorsaur - Starscream or Thrust because like Thrust, he's an arrogant, not as bright as he thinks he is, blowhard and War Within Titanium Thrust really reminds me of Botcon pre-Beast Terrorsaur.
    Scorponok - Demolisher. Providing WFC/G1 Demolisher shares Armada Demolisher's characterisation which I hope he would.
    Tarantulus - Bombshell. Evil sadistic geniuses.
    Dinobot - Furman Carnivac
    Rampage - IDW Thunderwing. Indestructible experiments gone wrong.
    Waspinator - Robotmasters Wingstun. Share a mold. Similar colour schemes. Both served BW Megatron. Winstun lacks any real characterisation and I like to think they really are the same guy. I can actually hear him say, "Why universe hate Wingstun?"
    Quickstrike - any G1 sadistic, 2 dimensional, boring Decepticon thug. Frenzy maybe.