Minor/Repaint: G1 Beachcomber WIP. Critique needed!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ScoobyGoo, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

So I'm taking a break from working on Triggerhappy until I get a dremel/multi-tool (sanding done this styrene sheet stuff takes a while by hand!), I thought I'd do a simple head mod and repaint on the Hardtop I recently acquired to get some experience doing that kind of thing (I've only done 1 custom previously, the old Shockblast->Shockwave repaint)

I didn't really plan how I wanted the head to look, just sat down in front of Google Images and with my legends Beachcomber to hand and started bashing away.

I quite like what I've got so far, but its not screaming Beachcomber at me like I would like it to, I figured you guys would be the best place do go to for some advice (mods feel free to move this thread to Creative General Discussion if it would fit better there).

As you can see from the dodgy pics I'm using .5 and 1mm styrene along with green stuff, I've filed down part of the original head and flattened the top/back withstyrene, then added bits to the side give him the side bulges, but something seems a bit off with him, I'd really appreciate some idea/advice on where to take the head next guys, thanks in advance :) 

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think it's getting there... but to give it a slightly more "Beachcomber" vibe, I would try changing the shape of the visor a little bit. Right now it has a fairly stern, shrewd shape, but if you either cut it, or added a piece on top, to give it a more rounded curve at the brow, it would seem less aggressive, more "laid back"... and more like the Autobot hippie.

zmog

3. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think removing more of the helm above the band to make the zone of the band taller (and thus bigger) will help, as Beachcomber had a fairly tall optic band. I would also think that having the band go further 'back' towards his temples/back of head would help, as BC had this sort of 'wrap around sunglasses' thing going on
    Nice idea though. I've actually nabbed that toy to make a BC myself, I'm just waiting till I go do dye a few other items blue to get him done in that batch before painting. ^^
    Keep posting, can't wait to see more!

4. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

Cheers guys, I think rounding out the bottom of the shades will be going on the todo list.

Shen, I think you might be right on the front band, currently it reminds me of Hound a bit too much. I've started filing that piece down to try and expose more of the original molds forehead, the pics from the cartoon I've been looking at had it slightly further back, I've already filled in behind it with green stuff so I can go quite far back if needs be