g1 autobots can fly?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SideSwipe82, May 14, 2007.

1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

can g1 autobots fly? In the first 3 epis of MTMTE all autobots can fly or stay in the air and battle. In later episodes they have to use powerpacks to get off their feet. why is that?

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

With the cartoon there really was no good reason other then just because. In the cartoon the only Autobots who could fly unassisted were the Aerialbot and Dinobots. Other then that it's up in the air.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    80's cartoon-itis.

They also flew in select other episodes...Wheeljack flew to try to help Skyfire in an episode I remember for sure and there were others as well...then in Season 3 they flew through space all the time.

4. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Certain Autobots (Wheeljack, Sideswipe & Gears come to mind) have the power of flight indicated on their Tech Specs.

Otherwise, the accepted "rules" are that the majority of Autobots cannot fly and the MTMTE episode was an error.

5. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

PLAGUE OF INSECTICONS. And in the same episode, SIDESWIPE spends ages tunneling through a mountain just to bypass a road blocked by a crowd(??).
    It's lapses in logic like that make me boggle at what we put up with back then!

6. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

I think bots who were Jets / or animal bots could fly. Most of the Autobots on the other hand were automobiles incapable of flight. In the circumstances in which they appear flying, they are mearly taking a large jump. Reason could easily be explained that Autobots had no built in Jet engines or something. Megatron of course being an exception to the rule. Probably had extra abilities due to custom add on's.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    :lol  it's funny because it's true:)  Thanks for posting the episode itile, I knew Wheeljack flew to help Skyfire from the Insecticons (who were biting down on his wings IIRC), I'm just terrible at remembering titles most of the time.

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The why in "Roll for it" does Sideswipe (along with Sunstreaker) need a parachute? After launching themselfs at the Decepticons and wrassling jets they get flung off by Starscream and both deploy parachutes. Surely if Sideswipe could fly only Sunstreaker would need a parachute.

I think that like many shows a concept form the pilot was simply dropped for the regular show.

9. rework

I don't know what you are trying to get at. Sideswipe's Tech Specs really do say he can fly. You can look it up.

But if you must look that deep into this for an explanation (I mean, geez, it's a frickin' 20 year old TV cartoon).... Sideswipe flies via a rocket pack with a fuel burn of only 2 minutes. Rocket based flight isn't really the most effective way to save oneself from a fall. A parachute is much easier, and why waste the fuel if he doesn't have to?

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Bluestreak and Ironhide flew in one episode while chasing after the seekers.

11. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I always say Autobots are just too lazy to fly. XD

12. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Here's the easy answer: the show employed a lot of writers, right? Well, I highly doubt they sat down and read all the tech specs and watched all the previous episodes. They probably just said: "Hey! Cool! Badass robots that are huge and can transform into other crap! I'm gonna make 'em do all kinds of neat stuff!"

It's a cartoon that was fun, but come on! Case closed. :) 

13. rework

Actually, it's appears they did read the tech specs. They clearly used them to define a lot of the character personalities and characteristics in the show. And wasn't it the end of MTMTE where they even had Sideswipe lend his rocket pack to Prime?

Don't disrespect the Tech Specs - They are what set the Transformers apart from the Gobots!

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I always liked to believe that Prowl and Bluestreak could at least glide since they had wings.

15. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    That was More than Meets the Eye Part 2 I believe (I watched it as a 1 hour feature on the "Arrival from Cybertron" VHS So dont know exact episode.

16. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Just about all ongoing series have a 'bible' that the writers are required to read when contributing a story. It prevents gross violations of continuity and the writing of things that are 'out of character'.
    Even for a series like TRANSFORMERS back in the '80's, I'm sure such a bible must have existed.

17. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Thou shalt miscolour the cassettes so that flamewars will burn on long after the show is gone? :lolol 

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The rule is, *basically*, that Decepticons can fly, while Autobots can't. In addition to the scenes were the Autobots are required to don jetpacks in "Dinobot Island," this is directly stated by Galvatron in "The Return of Optimus Prime," and again by Spike in "The Rebith," and is singled out as a special power of the Decepticons' in "War Dawn." The idea would appear to be that they could fly in the pilot, but, as such things often happen, the idea was dropped for the main series.

Regarding Wheeljack's flight in "A Plague of Insecticons," the thing of that is, he IS actually supposed to be able to fly - his tech specs say he has solid fuel rocket jets in his arms. Of course, he's not actually using those in the animation, but I reckon this was probably the writer's intent. Wheeljack even notes that he's "not a flying ace."

One of the bigger contradictions to the "rule" is, as has been mentioned, when the Autobots happily flew through space on a fairly regular basis in season 3. This, then, leads one to theorise - perhaps the Autobots do have a limited form of propulsion system, which doesn't function very well within an atmosphere, but can get them around in space without a problem. Optimus Prime noted that the Decepticons were too fast for the Autobots in the air in "More Than Meets the Eye," Part 3, which kinda-sorta supports that notion, but the biggest supporter for this theory is "Carnage in C-Minor" - in which the Autobots are able to fly through space with no trouble, but once they land on Eurythma, Ultra Magnus and Blaster have to cling onto Broadside's wings to get about.

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    G1 Autobots can't fly.

G1 cartoon makers can't follow their own series bible. :p 

Ah, but remember, Sideswipe's tech specs were written for the Sunstreaker mold and vice versa. 'Streaker's the one who should have the rocket pack and flight capabilities.

20. JusticeSabre

JusticeSabre FLUKE the SYSTEM.

Ebay:
    Posts like this, man...
    This is why I say G1 needs a proper reboot.
    Keep the characters and personalities, and clean up the inconsistencies...