G1 Autobot Cars Inquiry

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FortressMaximus1976, Mar 16, 2007.

1. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Something I've always wondered about, and I'm not sure if anyone actually knows this or has perhaps come across info relating to it. But, Ive always been curious who the worst selling G1 autobot car was (referring to all the Jazz sized cars of course)

And on par with that, did it have anything to do with toy quality or simply the amount of screentime it got in the series (or lack there of)? Now, G1 Mirage, whom is one of my all time favorite transformer characters and original toy favs, i've read didn't sell well mainly to fragility...I don't remember WHERE I read this..but you tend to find A LOT of G1 mirages on Ebay...and its not hard to find a MISB b/c I've found one...but is Mirage the worse of em? That I'm not sure. He didnt get too much time in the series with the exception of the "Traitor" episode in terms of lead character in the plot..and he just somehow "disappeared" during the movie, lol..never to be scene again in season 3.

Feel free to indulge in this with anyones personal insight/knowledge

FM

2. bw_rhinox

bw_rhinox Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's, the biggest shelf warmers in my area were Trailbreaker and Red Alert. I always thought it was due to the fact that Sideswipe and Hoist were more popular.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I always thought it was Skids.

4. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I remember distinctly in my area that it was Ironhide. Never saw a lack of Ironhides.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oh man i cant remember that far back.

i think there was a thread on g1 distribution once.

that said, the biggest sumbitch for me to collect was constructicons. never did complete him. also, never saw the original 3 seekers in my parts. also the fairlady z mold eluded me.

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

*DING*DING*

In my area you could find Skids and Ratchet YEARS after release warming the shelves. They were the Transquito and Supreme Cheetor of G1. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that my home town still has a few Ratchets kicking around the toy room in Coast to Coast. They never lowered the price on them, and I checked every year until I got too bored with running back there every Christmas to check.

7. FortressMaximus1976

Ebay:
    That store, Coast to Coast...the MISB Mirage I bought off os some guy from Ebay has a sticker from that store, price $10.99...I dont know what year it was..but he was in California...

Just thought that was weird b/c I never saw mention of that store prior lol

8. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

IIRC, Mirage was shipped at two per case in 1984. It's suggested by some that the second Mirage was to fill a space left after dropping Grapple(Or Hauler?) from the 1984 line.

Of the three Autobot car molds that were new to the 85 line, Inferno/Grapple was the only mold that was used twice in the year of introduction, that *may* indicate that Grapple was a carry over from 1984.

From the 85 cars Skids, Grapple and Hoist were the biggest shelfwarmers around here. None of the 1985 cars were ever rare though, the rest could all be found with moderate effort.

From 1984, Bluestreak, Ratchet, and Ironhide were fairly big shelfwarmers.

Hound ,Mirage and Jazz could be found with moderate effort.

Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Prowl, Trailbreaker and Wheeljack were like Hens teeth.
    I literally did not see Sideswipe or Trailbreaker at retail once. Sunstreaker i saw once, Wheeljack twice.

Prowl i just plain can't remember, it was no more than twice i think.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm fairly certain it would have to be Skids. It's been a long time since I read it, but my recollection of reading about G1 case assortments was that Skids was only ever packed 1 per case or possibly less than 1 per case, and I think was only in one case assortment. There seems to have simply not been that many of them made, notwithstanding anything about shelfwarmers.

I don't have much in the way of personal recollection from my childhood, and I don't trust that sort of thing anyway because it can't be documented. I vaguely recall that the 84 cars were harder to find than the 85 ones, but it doesn't mean anything.

Wish I could recall the site that listed all the old case assortments. It made for interesting reading.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I figured it couldn't be Skids, since he was shipped in such small numbers compared to the rest, but then he had so little screentime that I guess nobody wanted him, although that in turn came from his lower shipping amounts.

11. FortressMaximus1976

Ebay:
    Yeah, I really forgot about Skids when I poised this question..kinda shows you how memorable a character he was :sly: 

I mean, I never got em back in the day b/c I never cared for him..I did see him in retail outlets from time to time, just never cared for him at the time...although I have him now as part of the TFC collection.

Here in Connecticut, back in the 80's we had to stores called Bradless and Caldors, both of which closed up years ago, but were big chains back in the 80's..and I always got all my TF stuff from either of those stores....for whatever reasons, I remember one store had an abundance of Hounds all the time..so naturally I had him, but I thought he was cool anyway..I always liked his mold.

And Ironhide/Rachet.., they never sold well at the stores I used to frequent here either..and neither did Hoist...but Trailbreaker did, he was hard to get.

I think it was just luck of the draw half the time when you went to the toy section

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I wouldn't be surprised if it was ironhide and ratchet, seeing as even from the boxart they looked NOTHING like their cartoon bot modes. I don't see how any kid would see those and be like, "yeah, that's ironhide, my hero from the show. buy him for me, mom."

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Coast to Coast was a hardware store year 'round that only broke out the toy-room for about a month and a half a year so that dads could pick up toys for the kiddies without actually stepping foot in the dreaded toy store. Typically they'd have the same batch of toys every year, leftovers from who knows when, and one or two cases of overstock from other stores. It was awesome and sad at the same time, because you had a pretty good shot at picking up stuff you missed the previous year, but a lot of the time it was just a boatload of the stuff nobody else wanted.

And people like me were to blame for Sunstreaker being impossible to find. He was my first. Pre-show. Pre-ever even hearing about Transformers. I just saw a big row of shiny boxed transformable cars, saw a vaguely Lamorghini shaped vehicle and grabbed it. Little did I know I'd still be buying the darned things twenty-three years later.

14. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I rarely ever got to any stores during G1, and don't have any idea as to which TFs warmed the shelves back then. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Skids and Red Alert held that position. On another note, I seem to recall Mirage being a relatively desireable fig back then, fragility be damned. However, I don't recall many kids having Mirage.

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Well, if he was shipped in smaller quantities, he'd have to be the worst selling, right? :) 

That's how I interpreted the original question. If the first post was more asking what was the least popular once it hit the shelves, I would think it was probably Ironhide/Ratchet, just because of how much the show models deviated from the toys. I remember thinking as a kid that they looked SO different that it was almost the equivalent of taking the red lion from Voltron and saying THAT was Ironhide.

16. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Just to add some more cents to the conversation, I also remember the other non-deluxe-'84 shelfwarmers as well throughout G1.

I remember:

Endless amounts of Insecticons.
    Ultra Magnus
    Powermaster Optimus Prime
    Constructicons (especially Scavenger)
    '85 minibots were all over the place.
    Micromasters didn't seem to move where I lived either. Stores had the same ones forever, it seems.